RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Fargo Ti Vs. Fargo 2 question on weight.

Anyone know the complete stock weight of each of these bikes? Just curious. I'm sure it is nominal. Not a decison breaker. Taking in all factors to see advantages of the Ti model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My LBS weighed a stock 2011, 54 cm Vaya 2 at 23.9 lbs yesterday. No bottle mounts, but it did have a set of cheap flats installed.
    CC

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info on the Vaya, however, I'm looking at offroad drop bar 29'r. I guess the vaya could fall into that category if it can take 42 tires. Good info none the less!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm sorry. I had the Vaya on the brain!

We weighed a 2012 stock, large frame Fargo 2 a while back at 27.8 lbs.without pedals. I test rode the fargo and loved it. I'm 6'2" and the large was a good fit. I think you could lighten that bike up by simply losing the Thudbuster.

CC

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cool. Thanks for the quick response! Yeah, not sure if I need the thudbuster. Seems like it would alter the fit of the bike as it moves. Maybe I'm just reading into it. I'd throw a Brooks saddle on it first thing too.

Harmonius Wrench
    For what it is worth, I have hefted a bare Fargo Ti frame in my hand and it was shockingly light. I have built up a Fargo Version II from the frame, and I know that steel one is definitely heavier. So, no numbers for you, just an anecdote for ya....

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Guitar Ted

I figured the Ti would be lighter. I'm debating between steel and ti. For the price of the Ti complete, I could buy a steel 2 for me and my wife so we can bikepack together (it's also easier to get what you want when you include the better half!). I was curious to see if I would notice the $1700 price difference in the bike, and weight is an easy measure. The other differences are drivetrain (XT Vs. Sram x7/x9). Thanks for the perspective!

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Guitar Ted

I figured the Ti would be lighter. I'm debating between steel and ti. For the price of the Ti complete, I could buy a steel 2 for me and my wife so we can bikepack together (it's also easier to get what you want when you include the better half!). I was curious to see if I would notice the $1700 price difference in the bike, and weight is an easy measure. The other differences are drivetrain (XT Vs. Sram x7/x9). Thanks for the perspective!
    More information on your part tips the scales a bit. So...let's see....

Either you get the bling, light weight, lasts forever frame just for yourself, or you can get slightly heavier, nice riding steel frames- one for you and your wife- complete, ready to ride, for both of you.

So, this is a question?

You get two steel completes and go riding. Then when she gets hooked, you upgrade both your frames to titanium.

Glad I could be of assistance.

mtbr member
    My XL gen 1 Fargo was just about 6 pounds for the frame. A reasonable guess for the Ti frame would be four pounds (based off of my Motobecane Ti frame, which was 3.7 pounds for an XL, without all the braze ons and probably thicker walls of the Fargo frame). So you're looking at two pounds for the $1000+ difference. I'd say save your money...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

Either you get the bling, light weight, lasts forever frame just for yourself, or you can get slightly heavier, nice riding steel frames- one for you and your wife- complete, ready to ride, for both of you.

So, this is a question?

You get two steel completes and go riding. Then when she gets hooked, you upgrade both your frames to titanium.

You are a wise sage... Always keep the wife happy!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm liking my fargo more and more everyday but the weight of it is killing me on "fast road rides". I thought about upgrading to the TI version but couldn't stomach the cost to save a few pounds. Instead I went ahead and bought a Chili Con Crosso!

I'd say go with the Steel frame and see if you're even down with the bike, if you are, ride it for awhile, and then upgrade the frame if you feel like you really need to.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

So, this is a question?

I like how you think! The power of the internet is great when it comes to collaborating for a win win.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My large Gen 1 Fargo frame weighed 2.1kg (you guys can work out the pounds x 2.2) and my Fargo Ti frame weighs 1.45kg.... These are both Large.

Massive difference. Worth the money for sure, not just for the weight though.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My large Fargo TI frame weighs 1789g or 3.94 lbs That includes the cable guide but not the
    seatpost clamp. My cut fork weighs 1094. My overall build with no accessories is 22.75lbs granted mine is set up as a mountain bike and doesn't have drop bars. I am guessing it is approximately 4-5lbs lighter than the stock Ti build. i could lose another 1-1.5lbs but it would be stupid expensive and not really offer much improvement in performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    My large Gen 1 Fargo frame weighed 2.1kg (you guys can work out the pounds x 2.2) and my Fargo Ti frame weighs 1.45kg.... These are both Large.

Massive difference. Worth the money for sure, not just for the weight though.....
    Man I need your scales! Not sure how yours could be 300 grams lighter than mine in the same size.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ^^ 1.43 lbs difference? If your'e will to pay $100 for every 1/10th of a pound then go for it. $1600 is alot of cash though and you could pay for a top shelf wheelset, full frame bag set and a plane ticket for a bike packing trip with that money. If money is no object then go for it, hell I would. But realize you're basically saving what amounts to a full waterbottle in weight. Go for a ride with an extra water bottle on your bike and measure your avg speed and perceived exertion. Then try that same ride without it. I can promise you, you there will be no difference. BTW, i'm a recovering weight weenie so it took alot for me to acknowledge this. I had spreadsheets for every single one of my bikes with gram weight breakdowns and build variations.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    ^^ 1.43 lbs difference? If your'e will to pay $100 for every 1/10th of a pound then go for it. $1600 is alot of cash though and you could pay for a top shelf wheelset, full frame bag set and a plane ticket for a bike packing trip with that money. If money is no object then go for it, hell I would. But realize you're basically saving what amounts to a full waterbottle in weight. Go for a ride with an extra water bottle on your bike and measure your avg speed and perceived exertion. Then try that same ride without it. I can promise you, you there will be no difference. BTW, i'm a recovering weight weenie so it took alot for me to acknowledge this. I had spreadsheets for every single one of my bikes with gram weight breakdowns and build variations.
    While I hear what you are saying about cost, but there is way more to the Ti frame than just the weight difference. It's got that magical ride quality. It has no paint to worry about. The lifetime warranty. It's made in the USA (if you care about such things). I don't regret my purchase one bit. And I would even go so far as to argue that it is an excellent value. My frame cost me basically the same amount as a similar ti frame did in 1995...
    I am really stoked that Salsa offered up their great frame design in a high end material.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Thanks for the info on the Vaya, however, I'm looking at offroad drop bar 29'r. I guess the vaya could fall into that category if it can take 42 tires. Good info none the less!
    42s indeed. Mine rides great on rocky singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer View Post
    Man I need your scales! Not sure how yours could be 300 grams lighter than mine in the same size.
    Haha... Our shop has this five year old Park hand scale. I've been thinking for some time that it may need replacing

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Haha... Our shop has this five year old Park hand scale. I've been thinking for some time that it may need replacing
    Yeah I used my parts scale which should be accurate within a few grams. Chances are the truth is somewhere in between. Either way it is nice and light considering how big it is and how many optional points of attachment are welded on to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Weight of 2012 Salsa Fargo Ti (Medium)

Since I couldn't find this info anywhere myself. Here are the weight specs from my 2012 Salsa Fargo Ti (complete with the components as listed on the Salsa web site).

Complete bike (including two bottle cages): 11.8kg (26lbs)

List of components, weight is in grams

Salsa Fargo Fork V2 1158
    Fargo Ti Frame (Medium) 1588
    Salsa Woodchipper handlebars 332
    Brooks leather saddle + thudbuster seat post 900
    Front wheel (rim, tire, break disc) 2000
    Rear wheel (rim, tire, break disc, casette) 2500
    SPD dual platform pedals 382
    avid bb7 brake 329
    avid bb7 brake 329
    tektro brake levers pair 272
    Deore FC-M7710K crankset + bottom bracket 900
    Shimano FD-M770-E XT Low Clamp MTB Front Derailleur 155
    Shimano Deore XT M772 Rear Derailleur 227

The components listed above add up to 11kg. The difference between this and the complete weight is due to minor parts such as cables, bar tape, bottle cages etc.

Attached are two pictures of the whole thing :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fargo Ti Vs. Fargo 2 question on weight.-p1010876.jpg  

Fargo Ti Vs. Fargo 2 question on weight.-p1010883.jpg  

Last edited by fargoer; 08-06-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The stock fargo ti build is clearly designed more for comfort and on the road reliability than lightness.
    I am about to be building a small one for my wife. I'll post accurate weights when the frame arrives.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Small Fargo Ti with bottle cage bolts and cable guide is 1645g. - 3.62lbs.