mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Fargo Ti build questions

I am building up a Fargo Ti (waiting on a few more parts to come in). I have a few questions concerning the build. A.) Do I need any Ti prep for the frame? I have heard that aluminum and titanium "cold weld" together. Is this true? Would any aluminum part that contacts the frame fuse together permanently? B.) Pretty sure I know the answer but can bb7 mtn brakes be modified for apex brifters? I'm thinking not but am interested to know if anyone has done it. I have built a few bikes before but I realize there is still a learning curve. Any one built up a Fargo ti I'm open to advice/opinions.

Birthday Collector
    Just a bit of grease or anti-seize on the aluminum/Ti interface will prevent any problems with the Aluminum oxidizing. Good idea to do this with any parts except carbon [Edit] with about anything - always use assembly paste to grip. The Ti will not corrode or oxidize in the environments you will survive!

BB7 Mtn brakes have a different pull than the road versions. If you are spending the money building a Ti Fargo, get the right calipers and you'll be way happier with them than any type of jury-rigging you might do to try to make the wrong calipers work with road levers. That is going to be a nice ride.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just my 2 cents, but I have Force shifters on my Fargo, we had to put on Road BB7s and not Mountain BB7s.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I noticed the angle of the control arm is smaller on the road bb7s to accomodate a shorter pull. Might as well get the right parts like ATBscott said. After all it is a Fargo ti. Do it right

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I think a Fargo ti is in my future; my plan is to just move all/most of the parts off my gen 1 Fargo at first.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I bought the fargo ti to be a one bike to rule all bike. I have become a multiple bike owner and wanted a bike that would last a lifetime. I hope that maybe I can sell/donate my other bikes to people would need them or don't have the means to buy a bicycle. I got a good deal on the frame as well and I think its the last of the US made ti frames. I'm running compact road gearing with a sram apex 50/34 crank. I figure a 34 will probably handle most of the singletrack around here (I used to ride a SS monocog that was a 34x19 without any problems). Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_MurdocChongo View Post
    I bought the fargo ti to be a one bike to rule all bike. I have become a multiple bike owner and wanted a bike that would last a lifetime. I hope that maybe I can sell/donate my other bikes to people would need them or don't have the means to buy a bicycle. I got a good deal on the frame as well and I think its the last of the US made ti frames. I'm running compact road gearing with a sram apex 50/34 crank. I figure a 34 will probably handle most of the singletrack around here (I used to ride a SS monocog that was a 34x19 without any problems). Thoughts?
    If you've been 34x19 single speed and have no problems, it shouldn't be an issue. I'd be more worried about ground clearance for the 50 tooth.

mtbr member
    not sure about the ti frame, but the steel frame requires spacers when using a road crankset.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted