mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Fargo size question--any regrets or advice?

So I am in between a medium and large frame size. With a longer stem, the people at my bike shop think the medium looks good....but say I could go to a large also. I'm 5'10.5" 32" inseam and longer arms, I'm leaning towards the medium, I feel like I need a medium and a half if that makes sense. Is there anyone out there is a similar spot who went with a medium? I plan to do mostly commuting, some gravel riding, bikepacking and mountainbiking.
    I am going to drop a few bucks here and have to live with what I buy so any experiences or other things to think about would be appreciated.
    One bonus to the medium is my frame pack will fit my mukluk and new Fargo if I go that size, but I'm not against buying a new frame bag in the future either.
    Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by bikerjohnny; 04-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was in a similar spot between the large and XL. I tend to size up and sacrifice some stand over clearance and I did the same on the Fargo. If you're using it as an mtb, as I am, you'll likely appreciate the taller headtube to get the bars in the right place and the longer top tube will keep the front wheel further out relative to your body mass. The longer wheel base will also add some stability for your gravel and bike packing adventures.

Are you able to ride both before you buy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I am almost exactly your size and went with the M. I am more of a roadie so I went with what I know and like. 56-56.5 top tube is what I am comfortable with. I probably could have adjusted to the L but I am happy with my choice. Although it would have been nice to have the extra space in the frame bag.

mtbr member
    I am also similar in size and have a medium. I am very slightly longer in the legs than average and wouldn't say the same as you about my arms. I use a 90mm stem and am also set up in more of a road position and do not want to ride everywhere in the drops.

I understand the point above about a longer head tube, but this can be accomodated by increasing the amount of rise in the stem and I think the medium head tube is long enough and the top tube on a large will be too long for you.

I would say medium. You can see mine in a thread I started called "My Fargo Build". It's still the same. Probably on page 2 or 3 by now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Thanks for the reply's. I have been able to ride both and a stock medium felt a little short and a large felt long for the reach. With adding a longer stem the medium felt better. I'm leaning towards a medium with a longer stem but wanted to see what others have done. The large didn't feel horrible either but I did feel like I was reaching a bit. I tend to prefer a more upright posture than my cross check. The LBS was in the same boat, both could be made to work for me, just deciding what I can live with. I can order one but a medium is for sale locally that hasn't been ridden much and the bike shop has a few mediums in stock. I'm probably overthinking things a bit but I would rather spend more money on the right bike than regret it later.
    My general commute is about 17miles one way so I may miss the cross check. I was looking at Vaya's and Fargo's before but the cross check was more in my budget at the time. I just can't get the Fargo out of my head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Forgot to mention that I changed to a 110mm 7* stem in the up position from the stock stem. The bars are about an inch or so above the seat. The drops (#1 position) are about the same as the hoods on my road bike. The aero bars (#2 position) are very high and are for comfort and not really aero. The hoods (#3 position) are not used that much.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjohnny View Post
    Thanks for the reply's. I have been able to ride both and a stock medium felt a little short and a large felt long for the reach. With adding a longer stem the medium felt better. I'm leaning towards a medium with a longer stem but wanted to see what others have done. The large didn't feel horrible either but I did feel like I was reaching a bit. I tend to prefer a more upright posture than my cross check. The LBS was in the same boat, both could be made to work for me, just deciding what I can live with. I can order one but a medium is for sale locally that hasn't been ridden much and the bike shop has a few mediums in stock. I'm probably overthinking things a bit but I would rather spend more money on the right bike than regret it later.
    My general commute is about 17miles one way so I may miss the cross check. I was looking at Vaya's and Fargo's before but the cross check was more in my budget at the time. I just can't get the Fargo out of my head.

I'm 6'1" and ride the large (stock stem)and think you could go either way. My preference (personal only) would be larger frame/shorter stem for long distance riding and smaller frame/longer stem for more technical trails. I commute about the same distance and often think about a more upright stem more than a longer shorter stem, but like I said, I'm in the middle of the size range for that frame.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    What is the stem angle of the M and L you rode? There is a stem calculator on the net that I used a while back and just changing stem angle has a significant effect on reach. That can be hampered if the shop has cut the steerer too much though.

Also, you could consider having a frameset made in titanium, which is not overly expensive in China or Triton Bikes in Russia. Then you get the size you need.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    What is the stem angle of the M and L you rode? There is a stem calculator on the net that I used a while back and just changing stem angle has a significant effect on reach. That can be hampered if the shop has cut the steerer too much though.

Also, you could consider having a frameset made in titanium, which is not overly expensive in China or Triton Bikes in Russia. Then you get the size you need.
    I am not sure about the stem, one nice thing with my LBS is they don't cut the steerer till you buy the bike. I have a longer Ritchey adjustable angle stem that I use sometimes to dial in angles. I've never thought about buying a Frame oversees before but looking at Salsa's geometry today I am sure I'm about right in the middle of the frames sizes. One of the guys at the shop owns a medium that he said he'd let me take out for the day. I think ill do that and see how it feels. Spending more time in the saddle should help me decide what to do. The idea of Ti is also very appealing.