mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Fargo Shifting Question

I have been having some issues with my fargo and shifting. It shifts fine going up but when i shift down it sometimes skips a gear. It almost feels like the indexing is off. Its a fargo 3 with the microshift barend shifters. has anyone else experienced this problem? I have had it tuned up but i just cant seem to get it to work right.

never summer
    This is what I'd do...

1. Disconnect cable from derailleur.
    2. Adjust high and low limits, and b-tension. I like to do this with the chain off.
    3. Cycle thru the index's and make sure the cable is all the way out.
    4. Set barrel adjuster, or derailleur cable adjuster to 1/2 way out.
    5. Reconnect the derailleur cable and make sure the cable is taut.
    6. Cycle thru shift points and fine tune.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have the same issue with my Fargo. It has been well documented in the Fargo thread that the Microshift bar end shifters are less than ideal.

I was hoping to get satisfactory shifting out of them, but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to some Dura Ace bar ends.

Maybe someone else can recommend a fix to improve their performance, but the general consensus is to simply replace them and be done with it.

Good luck, and let us know if you discover a remedy yourself! I like how the shift levers feel in the hand when shifting, but their performance is lackluster.

mtbr member
    When I first got my F3 I felt the shifting was hopeless. After a 15 hour (!) ride the other day I found I got used to them and knew when a little tap trimmed the shifting so it worked fine. The front shifting I feel is as good as any I've ever used.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by delzey View Post
    I have the same issue with my Fargo. It has been well documented in the Fargo thread that the Microshift bar end shifters are less than ideal.

I was hoping to get satisfactory shifting out of them, but I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to some Dura Ace bar ends.

Maybe someone else can recommend a fix to improve their performance, but the general consensus is to simply replace them and be done with it.

Good luck, and let us know if you discover a remedy yourself! I like how the shift levers feel in the hand when shifting, but their performance is lackluster.

Having built several Vaya 3's, (which have the same shifter), I can say that the Microshift problem is that they are sloppy as far as their indexing goes. It is super easy to "overshift" them going to lower gears. The lever will actually stay in this "overshifted position too. I've seen it on all of the ones I've built.

This will seem like a too tight cable. Then, if you adjust for this, the shifting from lower gears to higher jumps, skips, or is completely off by an entire gear.

In essence, they almost are a friction shifter. The index click gets you in the ballpark, but you can move the lever around incrementally which affects derailleur position. Weird.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well at least I know I'm not crazy. Thanks guys

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2