Thread: Fargo Mods

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Fargo Mods

I've never been happy with the cable routing on my Fargo 2, and recently adding a full frame bag has only reinforced my dislike. Winter coming on will only further reinforce this, with DT mounted shift cables likely to freeze in the muck and slop again.

Thinking about having a local frame builder re-route my shift cables under the DT to match up with the 2013 version. I'll run full housings if I can.

Should I try to find the Fargo 2013 SRAM X7 HDM front mech (can't find it on the SRAM website) as it looks like it can take a cable and ferrule right to the mech without a frame stop.

Or should I just have a stop put on for a top pull (which I believe I can do with my current derailer)?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Skip the brazing! Clamp-on Cable Stops Problem Solvers Problem Solvers My vintage univega has the thin cable guides and they don't upset at all, they're solid and feel no different than brazeons.

Edit: And you can bottom-pull your derailleur if you feel like it too! Problem Solvers

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Cant say ive ever had a problem with under the BB cable routing, is it really that causing your problems? Ive had mechs (both) freeze solid, jockey wheels pack up with ice, shifter innerds failing to engage and cables freezing inside outers. The under the BB guide has never been an issue, perhaps its cos i use thick grease on mine in winter?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Cant say ive ever had a problem with under the BB cable routing, is it really that causing your problems? Ive had mechs (both) freeze solid, jockey wheels pack up with ice, shifter innerds failing to engage and cables freezing inside outers. The under the BB guide has never been an issue, perhaps its cos i use thick grease on mine in winter?

mud-bb by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Currently the added frame bag is adding just enough friction to affect shifting. I could go to Gore cables I guess.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah ive seen you post that pic before, pretty extreme!

Im amazed tho that your cassette isnt encrusted and your jockey wheels havnt completely locked up tho if its that cold and water is freezing on contact as thats what happens to me (in mild UK winters). Do you use a special grease/lube? possibly you could grease the cables too and they would just slip through?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    Yeah ive seen you post that pic before, pretty extreme!

Im amazed tho that your cassette isnt encrusted and your jockey wheels havnt completely locked up tho if its that cold and water is freezing on contact as thats what happens to me (in mild UK winters). Do you use a special grease/lube? possibly you could grease the cables too and they would just slip through?
    It's mostly spray from my front wheel. I can remedy it a bit by using a crud catcher or milk jug cut up and mounted low. Just looking for a better long term solution.

I've never had the jockey wheels lock up. Thankfully.