Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fargo Knard

mtbr member

Fargo Knard

Anyone know if a Knard will fit on a V1 Fargo fork?

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Nope. Not even close on a V1...

We tried it on a customer bike, and had to crush his dreams.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Fargo Knard

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Anyone know if a Knard will fit on a V1 Fargo fork?
    Which Knard? The 700x41 would fit fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    29x3".

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Which Knard? The 700x41 would fit fine.

mtbr member
    Dang. After making this post, I saw this other thread, where G-reg had a Knard on a 26" Salsa fork (I think 447mm length). Maybe the bend of the unicrown is different and limits the fork? Do you recall if it was with a RH rim? I wonder if that stretched the tire out vs. the 35mm Velocitys on G-reg's bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post
    Nope. Not even close on a V1...

We tried it on a customer bike, and had to crush his dreams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've tried the RH+Knard 3.0 on my Fargo v1; not even close. I've also ridden lots of miles with a RR 2.4 on a Gordo (35mm, I think), and there was lots of room. So a Knard 3.0 on a Flow or a 35mm rim *might* work, and it might not.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fargo Knard

If my memory serves me right, my 3.0 Knard didn't fit in the V1 Fargo fork, even on a Rynolite rim.

mtbr member
    It fits. I'm running the Fargo fork on my El Mari steel. My LBS had the Krumpus. I took the front wheel off and put it on my bike. It fit fine

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fargo Knard

Not in a V1 (1st Generation) Fargo fork.

It only fits in a V2 (2nd Generation) Fargo fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    Not in a V1 (1st Generation) Fargo fork.

It only fits in a V2 (2nd Generation) Fargo fork.
    Correct, sorry. I have the V2

mtbr member
    FYI, here's a pic of the Fargo V2 with a Knard/Blunt 35 combo (on my current bike):

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Holy Smokes, WIll that fit on the rear wheel?!

Adventure Mapper

29+ vs B+

Quote Originally Posted by Gyro_t View Post
    Holy Smokes, WIll that fit on the rear wheel?!
    The 29x3.0 tires (29+) won't fit in most 29er frames, but 27.5x2.8 (B+) will!

Fargo Knard-p9060007.jpg
    Guitar Ted Productions: B+ Riding Experience
    I make maps and seek out adventure using a Salsa El Mariachi with a 29+ front end. Read more here:

RideAlongside

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That makes a good case why 650B wheels have a place in mountain bikes. This give the Fargo that much more versatility, the reason I bought mine in the first place. Is that a custom wheel or off-the-peg? That is a 650B = 27.5 X 2.8 B+ Blunt rim, correct? That looks pretty damn close to as much rubber down as the 29er Plus

Adventure Mapper
    I wasn't the one who wrote the article nor do I have first hand experience with this setup, but I believe it is just a run of the mill 650 velocity blunt rim.
    The real difference is in the plus sized 27.5x2.8 tire (B+ aka 27.5+ size) that brings the overall diameter to 28.9inches, whereas the the 29x3 (29+ size) has an overall diameter of 31inches.
    I make maps and seek out adventure using a Salsa El Mariachi with a 29+ front end. Read more here:

RideAlongside

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    I wasn't the one who wrote the article nor do I have first hand experience with this setup, but I believe it is just a run of the mill 650 velocity blunt rim.
    The real difference is in the plus sized 27.5x2.8 tire (B+ aka 27.5+ size) that brings the overall diameter to 28.9inches, whereas the the 29x3 (29+ size) has an overall diameter of 31inches.
    Yes, that's my bike and the set up was with a Blunt 35 and the WTB Trailblazer 2.8"er.

I ended up putting the wheels and tires on my Trek Sawyer where they fit great with plenty of mud clearance and lower the BB to a more reasonable level. Those Sawyers have pretty high BB's to begin with.

I may end up moving these to my Gen II Fargo before winter ends though......
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    So when you say "these" you mean a 29er plus up front and the "650B+" on the rear, like seat_boy did. Thanks to you all. This is going on my Fargo this winter. Just looked at the Velocity site and have a little sticker shock at the $600 wheel set for the "standard" 35s. I imagine a single rear wheel is going to be over $300 retail.

Adventure Mapper
    Thanks for adding to the conversation Guitar Ted!
    From what I have read, you are really preferring the B+ setup for both front and rear as opposed to 29+ front and B+ rear, but it would be beneficial to hear your reasoning reiterated here if you are willing. I currently am planning to run the Maxxis Chronicle 29x3 tire up front on a Velocity 35mm rimmed wheel with a 29x2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the rear. I won't be able to purchase the new front wheel and tire until this spring, so any advice you can give to help me fufurther form an opinion would be much appreciated.

RideAlongside

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Thanks for adding to the conversation Guitar Ted!
    From what I have read, you are really preferring the B+ setup for both front and rear as opposed to 29+ front and B+ rear, but it would be beneficial to hear your reasoning reiterated here if you are willing. I currently am planning to run the Maxxis Chronicle 29x3 tire up front on a Velocity 35mm rimmed wheel with a 29x2.4 Maxxis Ardent on the rear. I won't be able to purchase the new front wheel and tire until this spring, so any advice you can give to help me fufurther form an opinion would be much appreciated.
    Fargo Knard-p8310001.jpg

Here's the full monty with the bag set up I tried on the Gen I Fargo.

Couple of clarifications:
    • I never ran a 29+ wheel with a B+ back wheel
    • I removed the wheels from the Fargo because it wasn't an ideal set up- Too low in the BB and not quite enough clearance

Okay, with that said, I will say that I have contemplated putting the B+ wheel out back with a 29"er 2.4" Chunky Monkey on a Dually up front on my Singular Cycles Buzzard. I think this would slacken the head angle a bit more, lower the BB a tic, and allow for a faster spin up out of corners. Essentially, making this a more DH oriented bike.

I wouldn't do this on a Fargo set up, and the reasons why are the same as the ones "why I would" for the Buzzard. A Fargo, in a bike packing set up, or touring bike off road set up, probably would not benefit from the slacker head angle, in my opinion. I do feel a bike designed for that sort of mixed wheel set up might be intriguing, but the Fargo wasn't designed for that, and since that is the case, I feel it would be a step backward in handling. YMMV

The Buzzard, on the other hand, is set up to be a slack, DH oriented sled from the get go, and doing what I am contemplating is seen as "tuning the ride" to a different attitude which I think the base geometry is good for. The Fargo- not so much.

I am- as stated in my previous post- going to give the Fargo Gen II bike I have the B+ treatment just to try it out. I may find clearances and BB height to be different there. We;ll see, but it is Winter now and my attention has turned to something different for the time being

Fargo Knard-pc200063.jpg
    Last edited by Guitar Ted; 12-21-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Adventure Mapper
    Thanks GT! Enjoy that dingle dingle this winter!

RideAlongside

Big wheels keep on rollin
    The Fargo's have more BB drop than a standard 29er. (70 vrs 60 mm drop) For that reason I would just be aware that a 650B+ wheel will drop the BB from 6 to 10mm depending on the tire you compare it to. Of course if you are doing less technical riding or touring this may not be a problem.

That said I ride a custom monstercrosser with 75mm of BB drop and 44 mm tires and rarely have any issues with pedal strike

mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8310001.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	239.1 KB 
ID:	948802

Here's the full monty with the bag set up I tried on the Gen I Fargo.

Couple of clarifications:
    [LIST][*]I never ran a 29+ wheel with a B+ back wheel [*]I removed the wheels from the Fargo because it wasn't an ideal set up- Too low in the BB and not quite enough clearance

I am- as stated in my previous post- going to give the Fargo Gen II bike I have the B+ treatment just to try it out. I may find clearances and BB height to be different there. We;ll see...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC200063.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	948808
    Hola Guitar Ted!

Im analyzing a Fargo B+ (Blunt 35 & Trailblazer 2.8") for gravel touring... do you think the lower BB might be an issue here, too?

Saludos,
    Federico
    Soon to be bikepacking South America making & printing family portraits for those who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I am- as stated in my previous post- going to give the Fargo Gen II bike I have the B+ treatment just to try it out. I may find clearances and BB height to be different there. We;ll see, but it is Winter now and my attention has turned to something different for the time being
    Please keep us posted, I just purchased a 2014 Gen2 Fargo and Im very curious to hear you conclusions on the fitment.

Harmonius Wrench
    Hola Guitar Ted!

Im analyzing a Fargo B+ (Blunt 35 & Trailblazer 2.8") for gravel touring... do you think the lower BB might be an issue here, too?

Saludos,
    Federico

Not at all. Well, not unless you get into some badly rutted dirt, then maybe.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Ford View Post
    Please keep us posted, I just purchased a 2014 Gen2 Fargo and Im very curious to hear you conclusions on the fitment.
    Will do. May get the itch to play with that sooner since the weather is supposed to get warmer again and melt our current snow cover.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast