mtbr member

Fargo Freaks - Size My Woodchippers

Greetings

It's looking more and more every day like a Fargo is heading my way. I am about 177-178cm or 5'10" and will go with a medium. I ride a 56cm roadie with a 90mm stem, so am a perfect 55. I'm certain that the 56.5 Fargo will be as good as it's going to get for me.

My real concern is with the Woodchipper 2 bars. I am pretty old school with my MTB and ride a 580mm flat bar on my Big Mama and OnOne Inbred. I reckon my perfect flat bar width is no more than 600-620mm max. I use 420mm road bars and often cruise along on the MTB with my hands on the gear changers.

Flared out to 590mm, I am reasonably convinced that the 420mm Woodchipper 2 is what I'm going with, but I'm interested to at least hear from others who have travelled the drop bar MTB road before me.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Go wide. I have the narrower ones, and not really thrilled. With the way the brake handles angle in, I wish I had a bit more space.

BTW - you and I are about the same size. I'm riding the Medium.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot axebiker. There is a very highly respected shop mechanic (yes, there are a few about) in Brisbane with a Fargo. I spoke with him on the phone and concluded that I should go narrow.

I appreciate your reply because it's also based on personal experience and opposes the other person's opinion.

This will force me to go and sit on his bike before I decide, which I really should have done anyway, since he works only a few suburbs away.

That's the best outcome and will make my decision a better one, so thanks for posting that, particularly since all three parties are the same size rider and bike.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    OK, so the wide bars freaked me out and I went with the narrow bars. I am just waiting for the Shimano 105 shifters and I'm away.

One bar related question I have at this point in time is about the bars hitting the top tube (18" Medium). I am starting a little high, but the bar ends hit the top tube centre to centre.

Like most, my previous drop bar experience is with my road bike and the bars hit the top tube right behind the shifters which requires a lot of rotation.

How have you all found this? What have you done? I'd like to find some big rubber bar ends, but can't find any. Whilst this is a loaded commuter / tourer I don't really want the protection measure to involve the top tube. I'd still like to hear your ideas if they do, because it beats damage.

Thanks in advance. Your kindness will be rewarded (with pics) if and when the stupid shifters arrive.
    Last edited by MagicCarpet; 11-19-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Speeling mustooks

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just wrapped electrical tape around the top tube where the bars make contact.

Haven't personally tried them yet, but these look pretty good:
    Universal Cycles -- Portland Design Works Bamboo/Cork Bar Plugs

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    How have you all found this? What have you done? I'd like to find some big rubber bar ends, but can't find any.
    Couple of ideas to look into

Hardware stores often carry table/chair leg end covers that are made in rubber. Fit great on the ends of your handlebar. If you are friendly with a local bike shop, and they are building up bikes, road bikes often are shipped with rubbery end covers on the bars which are discarded during assembly. You might ask for a pair.

mtbr member
    I stuck some Whisky bottle corks into the end of my Woodchippers.

Balvenie FWIW.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    I stuck some Whisky bottle corks into the end of my Woodchippers.

Balvenie FWIW.

AWESOME!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

IMG_8242 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

little bit of old leather bar tape on my tt to keep the bars from banging around.

wider is better for me. 5'8", on a medium, with wide bars, 90mm stem.

the narrow just didn't work for me, and i couldn't mount my sleep kit up front. but i ride 46cm nitto noodle bars (just replaced with cow bell 2 bars) on my long distance (rando) road rig.

never summer
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicCarpet View Post
    I'd like to find some big rubber bar ends, but can't find any. Whilst this is a loaded commuter / tourer I don't really want the protection measure to involve the top tube. I'd still like to hear your ideas if they do, because it beats damage.
    I use Velox Bar Plugs.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy