Thread: fargo fenders

The Voice of Reason

fargo fenders

the new fargo seems to be missing fender tabs on the rear. will those cascadia fenders still work without too much effort?
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

mtbr member
    Aparently Salsa offers another set of Alternator dropouts with a fender tab. Here is a link
    http://salsacycles.com/files/tech/Al...structions.pdf

mtbr member
    Is this a joke?

Surely a manufacturer couldn't be dumb arsed enough to market a touring bike with no guard mounts?

The Voice of Reason
    on the previous version it looks like the tabs were on the frame not the alternator plate thingy. why change?

mtbr member
    For the QR dropouts with fender tabs it appears they are @ $60 a set (universalcycles.com). Sidenote, if you wanted to upgrade to a 12mm thru axle, they don't even make a set of 12mm with fender tabs, so your stuck with QR.

I agree with MagicCarpet, you'd think the Fargo would have come with the Alternator dropouts with fender tabs as stock, kind of a stupid oversight if you ask me. Time to send an email to see WTF.

mtbr member
    So here is the follow up response from my email to Salsa:

Hey XXXX , I appreciate you reaching out with your question and your concern, as well as your feedback. I took a look at the thread on MTBR, and actually found an image of your sweet Fargo 3 build. That mustard color kicks some ass for sure. So letís hit your comment on the Fargoís design intentions. The Fargo by design a drop bar mountain bike, and is used as off-road touring platform. The bike was conceptualized as a bike for the Tour Divide Race, where it cut its teeth and became what it is today. The fender and rack tabs on the previous gen models were a benefit from having an existing cast QR dropout cluster. Since then, the bike has evolved into the 2014 and 15 models, adopting the Alternator plates that we brought in from our hard tail MTB design a few years back. This meant losing the tabs but given that folks were utilizing frame bags as a more secure option on this bike, rather than using racks that would likely fail or the hardware would work loose during rides, those dropouts gave way to the Alternators.

I would not call it a design fail. Iíd offer that its more a look at what we designed the bike for, what a rider likely wants in a drop bar MTB, and how that bike continued to evolve from where it started. The plates were a move in the right direction because in the past, if you broke a hanger your could be SOL mid-ride. With the Alt plates, you can swing them back, find a gear combo that works and retain chain tension. Thinking about those plates as part of our MTB line, the 142x12 thru axle and the hanger-less single speed plates were clearly options that needed to be developed. However at the time, fenders werenít really something that was a consideration for the plates, given that many folks riding mountain bikes arenít necessarily running fenders. Fast forward to this model year, we acted on the feedback that there was a contingent of folks out there that decided to run fenders, so we created those plates as an aftermarket part for those that prefer them.

In the case of the stock Fargo plates, we had to find the best compromise when introducing the updated 2014 frame, and in this case, the decision was not to spec the fender plates, but to go with the standard QR dropout plates like the ones you have. If we take a step back and look, we know that some folks may not want tabs for fenders, nor would they want to run a thru axle, or go the dedicated single speed route. We arenít going to hit the mark exactly for every individual Fargo ownerís needs, and of course, not everyone will want the spec exactly how it arrives at your shop; so we offer the rider the chance to customize the entire build and offer the frameset. Frankly, most frames out there donít give you any option when it comes to dropouts. What we have found is that our Fargo riders are happy for what the bike is, for what it can do, and where it allows them to go.

The Fargo is a bit of a Swiss Army knife right out of the box, and can be configured in a multitude of ways outside of the stock build. It already looks like youíve been customizing your own build, and based on other posts, it sounds like you are pretty stoked on your Fargo, and will continue to customize it more to your liking and fitted tour own preference in parts and options. If you have questions and concerns, please feel free to hit me back.

-Zach | Salsa Customer Service & Warranty Lead

I still feel it was an oversight, the 'tabs' I do not feel would have cause anyone to gripe about them being there. However I do feel, spending another $60 for new dropouts to add a decent set of fenders to my bike is ridiculous. How about a trade-in program or trade plus cost type deal?? Whatevs, because I'm a stickler for perfection, I'm going to break down and purchase them, but will hate myself for having to do so.

Make me think, I should've bought another Surly instead or something else.

The Voice of Reason
    nice follow-up. i'm with you; who would object to fender tabs? they are on the fork for chrissake.

Air Pirate
    Hmmm...I am currently trying to decide on a new bike, and the ones at the top of the list are the Salsa Fargo and the Surly Troll. I would be getting a frame and building it up myself.

I am a drop-bar mountain bike guy, so the Fargo is a natural attractant. I am thinking Troll because I have the components and wheels from my last bike that I can swap over to a new frame, so it would keep my existing 26" wheel size and not have to go into purchasing a new wheelset like I would with the Fargo.

But I really like the Fargo....so I can handle not using my old wheels...new wheels are good, eh? I do like the idea of going to the 29er size.

I like running full fenders from time to time, so the ability to do so is a consideration for me. The Troll can do this no problem...the cast dropouts it has can pretty much do anything...except run a 12x142 thru axle, which I would like the option to do and the Fargo can do with the correct Alternator plate, but you cannot run a fender with that specific plate, only the 135 QR "fender compatible" plate....ARGH!!!!

I suppose one could use some other means to attach fenders to the frame and just make do, like using p-clamps or adapting something like the rubber-pad mount from Planet Bike SpeedEZ fenders...but in my opinion both of those are half-assed solutions. You spend the coin required to obtain a Fargo you should be able to run a set of fenders without resorting to such things!

There is an additional limitation with these Alternator Plates that I noticed when looking up the different ones on the Salsa website: the Alternator Plate that allows use of fenders is not compatible with racks.

fargo fenders-fender-alternator.jpg

Says so right there...I wonder why it is not compatible? Probably because they discovered fender struts interfered with the Surly Alternator Racks that you have to use with a Fargo. That is another thing that gets me...it appears they have made the Fargo incompatible with any other rear rack system. You could perhaps use the Old Man Mountain/Arkel racks that use the quick release skewer attachment, but that eliminates the use of a 12x142 thru axle.

I find it amazing that such a wonderful bike, designed to go anywhere and do anything, is so incompatible with so many accessories that many of it's owners might wish to use.

This is really making it tough to determine which frame to purchase. It reminds me of the choice-boondoggle that existed when I was looking at a new computer a while ago....I could choose a Windows or Linux PC and have access to a plethora of aftermarket peripherals, accessories, and upgrades in a competitive market or I could choose a Mac and have to settle for only using what Apple decided they would offer for peripherals, accessories, and upgrades...and at their competition-free premium price.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bokchoicowboy View Post
    There is an additional limitation with these Alternator Plates that I noticed when looking up the different ones on the Salsa website: the Alternator Plate that allows use of fenders is not compatible with racks.

Says so right there...I wonder why it is not compatible? Probably because they discovered fender struts interfered with the Surly Alternator Racks that you have to use with a Fargo. That is another thing that gets me...it appears they have made the Fargo incompatible with any other rear rack system. You could perhaps use the Old Man Mountain/Arkel racks that use the quick release skewer attachment, but that eliminates the use of a 12x142 thru axle.

I find it amazing that such a wonderful bike, designed to go anywhere and do anything, is so incompatible with so many accessories that many of it's owners might wish to use.

Nice catch, I never noticed that. Im following up with Salsa to see if that applies to their rack or just aftermarket racks, I hope that it does not include their rack system, because that would make my purchase of the Fargo a complete f#cking disaster.

I should've just purchased another Surly, UGH!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I bet the rack isnt supported because the alternator plates are aluminum. You theoretically can bolt it up but Salsa wouldnt want you to because if the soft threads and you run the risk of stripping it out.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Appears Salsa made a mistake on their website and has corrected it.

here is the email:

Quote Originally Posted by Zach@Salsa
    David, the Alternator plates will work with our Alternator racks without issue, provided you get the right spaced rack to match the dropout spacing on the frame. This is true for all the Alternator plates, be it the fender plates or the thru-axle plates. Thank you for pointing out the error on the website, we have corrected the bullet point.
    -Zach
    New updated site info:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fargo fenders-2015-03-03-10_52_48-alternator-q_r-fender-mount-plates-_-parts-accessories-_-salsa-cycles.jpg  

Air Pirate
    Quote Originally Posted by mister.dvx View Post
    Appears Salsa made a mistake on their website and has corrected it.
    Nice!
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"