sbn
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Fargo 2 vs 3 question

Any particular reason why the 2 has the gearlevers together with the brakelevers like on a normal road (Racing) bike and the 3 has endlevers??

And what made you choose the one over the other?

I do not have the chance to sit on or try a fargo sine I have to buy one online so if you have a photo of the bike with someone sitting on the bike mayby with hands in the different positions on the handlebars that would be great to see. Would like to see how much one leans forward on this Nice looking machine :-)

Im sorry if my english is not perfect, not my native language.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Well, the 2 has some more expensive components overall, but more expensive isn't always better. For example, the 2 has a Thudbuster seatpost, while the 3 does not. Some like the Thudbuster, others think it's unnecessary and heavy. The 2 has two chainrings while the 3 has three, giving you a wider gear range on the 3. The integrated brake/shifter levers on the 2 work well, but the bar end shifters on the 3 are simpler, leaving less to go wrong.

Overall, I think the 3 is better for single track, it's more of a mountain bike. The 2 is more of a build for touring. Both of them could handle both jobs, but each has its niche.

I, personally, have a 2 and I love it. I would have gotten a 3, but I got a 2 for the price of a 3 at my local shop. I love my bike, and have done single track as well as some all day rides on pavement and gravel.

sbn
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thank you for your answer to my question. Good to hear that there is a difference between the two other than the gearlevers. I was in doubt which of the two would be Best for me but now I now which on to go for. For my planned trip I think Im going for the fargo 3. Thanks :-)

What about the handlebar? How great is it to ride with those bars, on Road and gravel? Is it possible to keep the poisition of the brakelevers but also add brakelevers to the top part( the vertical part) of the bars?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm no mechanic, but yes, you can get inline brake levers. I have seen them set up like that before. So, you can do that. I like the handlebars myself. They feel more natural, more ergnomic, to me than traditional road bars. If you plan on doing long trips, or carrying a lot of stuff, then the 3 is probably your best bet.

sbn
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have to look more in to that and see if I would really need the extra levers. And I do Think the 3 is Best for my needs

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I don't know if the cross brake levers will work with the bikes with the bar end shifters. The Fargos with bar end shifters have BB7 mtn brakes while the ones with brifters have BB7 road brakes. The cross brake levers may or may not have enough pull for the mtn brakes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I did think about that, the difference in brake types. I really don't know how well the cross levers would work either, but it might be worth a try. Also, one could get different brakes. That might be expensive, but if you are buying a brand new complete right out of the box, you could probably sell the old brakes for a good price.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post

Overall, I think the 3 is better for single track, it's more of a mountain bike. The 2 is more of a build for touring. Both of them could handle both jobs, but each has its niche.
    I disagree. A build like the 3 would be better for touring - bar ends can be made serviceable by going to friction mode.

And, for single track, I like having my controls (brake / shift) in 1 place.
    I borrowed a Gen1 Fargo with bar ends, and while it sold me on the bike - since I ride mine locally for single track and also for bikepacking - I didn't want bar ends on it.

When I get out to do an extended dirt road / gravel / mixed terrain tour out beyond, I'll likely build it up with bar ends.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Fargo 2 vs 3 question

I set my wife's up with cross levers. Works just fine. She has SRAM on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    I disagree. A build like the 3 would be better for touring - bar ends can be made serviceable by going to friction mode.
    [...]
    The microshift bar-end shifters that came with my 2012 Fargo 3 do not have a friction mode like more expensive Shimano bar-end shifters would. Also, the indexing is poor in gears 2, 3, and 7.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I built up my Fargo 2 up with bar end shifters just for the reason I can go to friction if need be and if I wreck riding it offroad bar end shifters are way cheaper to replace.
    2014 Kona Process 111
    2012 Salsa Fargo 2
    2013 Kona Honzo
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi

mtbr member
    I think the relevant info would be is there a difference in the frames ? You can and will change 'stuff' on the bike as it wears out or useage changes.

I built a gen 1 fargo several years ago from help here, I love the xxl frame. woodchipper bar, shimano bar-end shifters. Today I run with a riser bar and sram grip shifters.

Still have not found the sweet spot for this frame, probably would be non flared drop bar..but I have a LHT so I keep the riser on.

never summer
    I've ran both bar-end shifters and brifters on lots of single track and as a commuter. Bar-ends are really simple to deal with and are very durable. I've only used the Shimano's, so can't comment on the micro-shifts. A friend has them on her Vaya and I think they feel a bit rough, however I'm OCD and was able to get it tuned a bit better. The only thing about bar-ends is moving your hand to shift. Which can be mitigated with proper gear selection or riding at the end of your drops. Basically if you spend most of your time on hoods bar-ends are a reach. Personally I ride with brifters, love it for the function on the hoods, and being able to use them in the drops.

Another thing to think about is cost if you want to go to brifters. The build on the Fargo 3 is built around using bar-end shifters on a 9 speed rear. The Fargo 2 build is for 10 speed rear using SRAM Apex shifters. I personally think the jump in price to the Fargo 2 is worth it.

Either way, the Fargo is an awesome bike...you really can't go wrong, and it might change how you view riding.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy