mtbr member
    Jun 2009

El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...

Thought I would share the metamorphosis of my Ti El Mar from a front suspension hardtail to a full rigid bike that will be perfect for bikepacking trips. Besides taking some red bling off, I swapped the F29 Fox fork for a Salsa Fargo V2 fork and Stans Arches wheels to Crest wheelset, going tubeless at the same time. Ti handlebar to dampen the trail chatter and I went from 26+ to 22.4 lbs for those interested in the weight. Fast, light and smooth, ready for long rides!

Here are the before and after pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...-l1030059.jpg  

El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...-l1030196.jpg  

El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...-l1030050.jpg  

El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...-l1030189.jpg  

El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...-l1030197.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Very cool! If I were a rich man, I might try some Ti myself.

A couple, sort of related, questions: How long did you have the El Mar before making the switch, and what made you decide to do it? Did you just decide you wanted to do a different sort of riding? Or, if you got the El Mar with this planned ahead of time, why not just go Fargo Ti? Is there something which drew you to the El Mar frame/geometry over the Fargo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have had the El Mar for nearly 2 years (to replace a Vassago steel frame) and was using it on fire roads and smooth single tracks. Since there aren't too many "smooth" trails around and I don't race, I have been mostly riding my full suspension rig (Ventana El Ciclon) on trails and the El Mar was ridden pretty much on fire roads only, which was a bit of a waste in its original configuration. I also got more interested in bikepacking, so I thought this conversion would make most sense. I did not consider a Fargo since I already had the El Mar frame and I prefer flat bars. Hope that helps...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Very nice - what saddle are you using? I have the SDG Bel Air Ti which I find very comfortable. Love the clean look of your rigid fork, but I'm keeping my Fox F29 as I want to hammer down rutted, stony South Downs Way trails at top speed whilst keeping my eyeballs in their sockets. I'm having to learn to ride a hardtail again after moving from several nice previous suspension bikes to the El-Mar Ti. I'm lowering my wrists and elbows and relaxing more. At first I couldn't keep up with my brother downhill when he was on his on his Turner Flux, but I'm learning & getting quicker all the time on the El-Mar. We are fairly evenly matched now unless it's seriously rough.

I'm really impressed with the El-Mar's speed on the road (even with Maxxis Icon 2.2's at low pressure), so I'm not surprised that you should decide to use it as a very comfortable adventure bike. I've wondered myself whether fit some road friendly tyres to my Arch Ex rims for a bit of road work. What do people reccommend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea@Dimbola View Post
    Very nice - what saddle are you using? Love the clean look of your rigid fork, but I'm keeping my Fox F29 as I want to hammer down rutted, stony South Downs Way trails at top speed whilst keeping my eyeballs in their sockets. I'm having to learn to ride a hardtail again after moving from several nice previous suspension bikes to the El-Mar Ti. I'm lowering my wrists and elbows and relaxing more. At first I couldn't keep up with my brother downhill when he was on his on his Turner Flux, but I'm learning & getting quicker all the time on the El-Mar. We are fairly evenly matched now unless it's seriously rough.

I'm really impressed with the El-Mar's speed on the road (even with Maxxis Icon 2.2's at low pressure), so I'm not surprised that you should decide to use it as a very comfortable adventure bike. I've wondered myself whether fit some road friendly tyres to my Arch Ex rims for a bit of road work. What do people reccommend?
    I use a WTB Rocket V SLT. I have found it quite comfortable on 50ish mile rides on fire roads on the El Mar and this is also the saddle I have on my full sus for day-long trail rides. I'll see how my butt handles longer bikepacking days on this saddle.....I hear you about keeping some front cushioning on rocky trails! My aging bones are pushing me towards full suspension for that kind of riding and moving the El Mar for bikepacking. I am running Nanos right now and it is fast, even on paved roads. I have not tried more "road friendly" tires but I had some 700x40c Schwalbe marathons mounted on Crest rims on my Vaya and they felt excellent on roads....
    Last edited by JC822; 09-23-2012 at 03:09 PM. Reason: wrong layout

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Thought I would share the metamorphosis of my Ti El Mar from a front suspension hardtail to a full rigid bike that will be perfect for bikepacking trips. Besides taking some red bling off, I swapped the F29 Fox fork for a Salsa Fargo V2 fork and Stans Arches wheels to Crest wheelset, going tubeless at the same time. Ti handlebar to dampen the trail chatter and I went from 26+ to 22.4 lbs for those interested in the weight. Fast, light and smooth, ready for long rides!

Here are the before and after pics:
    Cool! I actually started out rigid, but I did buy a sussy fork recently for certain races I like to do. Not sure I'll install it on the my Ti El Mar though... I'm kind of considering getting an Al frame just for singletrack racing and keeping my El Mar rigid for long rides, group rides, and general riding.

I'm also switching forks soon to a longer 485a/c rigid. Before my El Mar, I had a Niner SIR9 with the original 490a/c rigid fork, and I actually like that geometry better compared to the shorter 470a/c

Randy

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wow, we have some common taste here..... great looking bike! I had a 100mm Fox F29 fork on my El Mar before and it felt good on descents but I like the geo with the 468mm Fargo fork and how much steerer tube I have left, it feels very balanced going both up and down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nice

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

ti bars and stem?

what stem and bars are the ti on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you are asking me, Moots stem and Carver bar.

mtbr member

El Mariachi Ti metamorphosis...

Are plan for our older El Mar's are pretty close. I bought a Spearfish to become my primary MTB. I am plan to make the El a bit more like a cross bike with flat bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk