rth009
    May 2010

El Mariachi Ti lower headset stack height

I have an '11 El Mariachi Ti with the 44mm headtube. Im currently running the Cane Creek 110 Zero Stack ZS44 bottom with the 4mm stack height. I also have a straight 1 1/8" steerer on an older Fox f29 100mm fork.

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets Bottom&topName=off&topProduct=off

I noticed that the Cane Creek 110 EC44 has a 12mm stack height.

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets Bottom&topName=off&topProduct=off

Is there any reason I couldnt use the EC44 on my EMTi. Would this slacken the head angle enough to be noticeable or not since its only 8mm? I also wouldnt mind the bars being 8mm higher, that would be another effect, right?

Also, sort of related question, I noticed that Salsa recommends/requires the 44mm External Cup (EC44/40) for Tapered steerer forks, but the Zero Stack (ZS44/30) For Straight steerer tubes. I realize the difference to account for the 1.5" steerer tube at the bottom, but doesnt the 12mm stack height on the (EC44/40), as opposed to the4 mm ZS44/30 change the handling? Or is there something difference btwen tapered/non-tapered forks that requires the difference in stack height? Or is the 8mm difference in bottom stack height insignificant.

Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Yes the extra 8mm of stack on the EC lower cup will slacken the head angle, and affect the handling, but not by much. It would be noticeable to some, but not to most people.

Also, if you were to add stack height below the head tube, you would have to remove an equal amount of stack from above the head tube in order for the stem to still mouunt to the steerer. That is unless you have steerer tube the extends beyond the top of your stem, then you would just have to remove an equal amount of spacers above your stem. So in the end, your bars would not be any higher.

If you want to play with your head tube angles why not try an angleset...

Cane Creek Cycling Components :: Components :: Headsets EC44 | ZS44#AngleSet EC44 | ZS44