mtbr member

El Mariachi stem length

I'm 176 cm tall and I ride 2012 El Mariachi size M with matching rigid fork. I use 105 mm stem with 700 mm handelbars with some backsweep. The riding position is very comfortable and works in most situations. The only thing is: it is extremely difficult to wheellie and manual, and sometimes on the loose stuff I wish I could load the rear wheel more.

Do I need a shorter stem? What do you use? What stem comes stock on the ElMariachi size M?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Similar situation to you but Im taller and I ride a 2012 ElMar size L. I had the stock 710mm promoto bar with a 100mm 5 degree stem for the first season. I started experimenting with shorter stems: first going to 90, then finally ending up with a 80 thomson 0 degree. I probably could end up with a 70 if I really wanted to, but that would be the limit for me before it would start to feel cramped. I will say that the shorter stem COMBINED with a wider bar (750mm) has improved my manual capabilities. The shorter stem by itself was an improvement but not as drastic as the bars/stem upgrade.
    But everyone is different and Im afraid there is really no way to figure out the ideal setup without some experimentation. Is good to swap stems with fellow MTB riders before shelling out the cash.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am 180cm tall and run a 100mm stem and 711mm bar on my El Mariachi. I will agree that it is a bit hard to loft the front end. That said, I feel this tradeoff is worth it as I run the bike as a single speed. Having the longer stem means that the bike is a lot more stable when climbing up steep stuff while standing.

I think the relatively long chainstays are really the source of the "hard to loft" aspect, however. I've noticed major differences dependent on how far back my sliders are. How far back are you running your alternators? Maybe you could slam them all the way forward? If you are running single speed, you might consider running a half link to get them a little bit farther forward? If you can't run any farther forward, I bet you could get a shorter stem given that you are a little shorter than I am. Maybe an 80 or a 90?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am 180cm tall and run a 100mm stem and 711mm bar on my El Mariachi. I will agree that it is a bit hard to loft the front end. That said, I feel this tradeoff is worth it as I run the bike as a single speed. Having the longer stem means that the bike is a lot more stable when climbing up steep stuff while standing.

I think the relatively long chainstays are really the source of the "hard to loft" aspect, however. I've noticed major differences dependent on how far back my sliders are. How far back are you running your alternators? Maybe you could slam them all the way forward? If you are running single speed, you might consider running a half link to get them a little bit farther forward? If you can't run any farther forward, I bet you could get a shorter stem given that you are a little shorter than I am. Maybe an 80 or a 90?