mtbr member

El Mariachi review in Bike magazine

I received my newest edition of Bike magazine in the mailbox this week and I noticed it's the "Bible bike test edition"! Oh yeah, it's going to be a good day - here i come bathroom!

I'm about 1/2 through the mag 30 minutes later and I come across the xc bikes. It's the usual fanfare of full suspension, carbon, xc racing whips going for $5k+.

Then on page 68 comes the El Mariachi 2 for $2k -- i couldn't believe it. They gave it a great review, but my favorite is the final take: "A simple way to get a fun, do everything hardtail. You'll probably keep it forever in one of it's many forms."

Hats off to Bike magazine for the review, it was by far the least expensive bike being reviewed in the xc category and certainly the only steel bike. By comparison, the other bike on the same page is the Moots MX Divide that's going for $9200.

I love my 07 El mar and yup I'll probably keep it forever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Mariachi review in Bike magazine-phpbla04ipm.jpg  

Last edited by Pete Otis Towns; 01-20-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    El Mar is the only thing I would replace my current single speed bike (Special Ed Rockhopper) with... I miss the steel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The 07 El Mar is the better bike, or I think the better El Mar, so I love this bike

It's more interesting modify the bike for ss

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    The 07 El Mar is the better bike, or I think the better El Mar, so I love this bike

It's more interesting modify the bike for ss
    I do like the new look of the black and green but old blue has served me well. The best part of this bike is the many variations you can run it. I'm currently running it rigid and 2x9 with the Gordo rims and 2.5 tires. It's current weight is about 30 lbs and it's a beast.

When summer comes I'll change it to a SS and throw on some lighter wheels and add the Reba fork and it will be at the 26 lb mark and then it becomes an agile xc bike.

It's the do-it-all bike for me, I've raced it in the Leadville 50, ridden it in blizzards and even used it for commuting.
    Without rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other. Red Foreman - That 70's show.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Otis Towns View Post
    I do like the new look of the black and green but old blue has served me well. The best part of this bike is the many variations you can run it. I'm currently running it rigid and 2x9 with the Gordo rims and 2.5 tires. It's current weight is about 30 lbs and it's a beast.

When summer comes I'll change it to a SS and throw on some lighter wheels and add the Reba fork and it will be at the 26 lb mark and then it becomes an agile xc bike.

It's the do-it-all bike for me, I've raced it in the Leadville 50, ridden it in blizzards and even used it for commuting.

Undoubtedly, a great bike, if you want to sell let me know