Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yeah I believe they are trying to go more mainstream and less niche. No more steel or ti mtbs and no more el mariachi. That's why I bought the last two. Best hard tail I've ever rode.

Merendon Junkie
    The El Mariachi is still on their lineup. They only dropped the Ti model. That was one cool bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    The El Mariachi is still on their lineup. They only dropped the Ti model. That was one cool bike.
    That is true but it looks to me like all the bikes on their bike list are 2016's and who knows what will change once they add the new and updated bikes to that list.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I stand corrected as the El Mar still lives, sans Ti mode.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    No more salsa el mariachi past 2016 models. RIP

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by REDRED View Post
    No more salsa el mariachi past 2016 models. RIP
    Why do you say that? Do you have a link to a statement from salsa?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Why do you say that? Do you have a link to a statement from salsa?
    Talked to rep a few weeks ago at a trail opening. El mariachi is gone with the timberjack taking its place. But who knows until all of the 2017s come out... El mariachis on the site are 2016s...

Presenting Our Updated Line | Salsa Cycles

CG3
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm 2014 El Mariachi Ti update

Just swapped the Fox with an Enve Carbon fork. Im liking it so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_4842.jpg  

CG3
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Update!

I think I'm liking my bike even more with the Enve Carbon fork! Man, didn't realize Salsa stopped making the Ti El Mar... Glad I got one when I did!The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_4842.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by CG3 View Post
    I think I'm liking my bike even more with the Enve Carbon fork! Man, didn't realize Salsa stopped making the Ti El Mar... Glad I got one when I did!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4842.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	1089056
    Sweet ride.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by REDRED View Post
    Talked to rep a few weeks ago at a trail opening. El mariachi is gone with the timberjack taking its place. But who knows until all of the 2017s come out... El mariachis on the site are 2016s...

Presenting Our Updated Line | Salsa Cycles
    What a moronic decision by Salsa. They are having a lot of negative feedback on their new line up on that page. I hope they regret it. Really dissapointed that salsa decided to drop one of their most iconic bikes. They could have re invented it with full 27.5+ capabilty or something like that. Now they "replaced" it with a cookie cutter aluminum framed bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What a moronic decision by Salsa. They are having a lot of negative feedback on their new line up on that page. I hope they regret it. Really dissapointed that salsa decided to drop one of their most iconic bikes. They could have re invented it with full 27.5+ capabilty or something like that. Now they "replaced" it with a cookie cutter aluminum framed bike.
    My thoughts exactly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I currently own an El Mar but the new Surly Karate Monkey looks like a very worthwhile replacement. It is 29 or 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    For all you people crying about the death of the el mar, I bet they'll resurrect within a cycle.
    2003 Kona A
    2005 Kona A
    2012 Cannondale Hooligan
    2016 Salsa Deadwood

mtbr member
    It could be worse they could of passed the name along to that new timberjack.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've wanted to own one of these for more time than I can remember. Finally built this up from parts I sourced over 6 months and couldn't be happier. I love this bike.

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thx138 View Post
    It could be worse they could of passed the name along to that new timberjack.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    that would be way worse.

I love my EMT, but I still don't get the frustration with dropping the El Mar, even though I see a many El Mariachis on my local trails. If you want a steel/Ti hardtail with that geometry you can get a Karate Monkey or there are many custom makers who can make you that bike with similar dropouts for a few hundred dollars more. And considering the timberjack is designed for fat tires and a 100mm+ suspension fork, I suspect the aluminum rides fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Piggybacking of what you are saying about the steel bikes rth009 I picked up a Kona Unit 2016 model, yes it's single speed, but for $700 it was hard to pass up, maybe since steel is becoming harder to find, finding a good deal on one will be easier. We have a salsa demo day coming up next month where I live, if anyone is wondering how the timber jack rides, I'll come back and give an update, now I'm not a super expert, but hopefully my report will help someone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

rth009
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    Piggybacking of what you are saying about the steel bikes rth009 I picked up a Kona Unit 2016 model, yes it's single speed, but for $700 it was hard to pass up, maybe since steel is becoming harder to find, finding a good deal on one will be easier. We have a salsa demo day coming up next month where I live, if anyone is wondering how the timber jack rides, I'll come back and give an update, now I'm not a super expert, but hopefully my report will help someone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    I just went to a Salsa demo on Monday. They had the white Woodsmoke 27.5+, which I rode and liked, but no Timberjack. I think the Timberjack will be marketed to different crowds than those who come out to demo events, but who knows.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    that would be way worse.

I love my EMT, but I still don't get the frustration with dropping the El Mar, even though I see a many El Mariachis on my local trails. If you want a steel/Ti hardtail with that geometry you can get a Karate Monkey or there are many custom makers who can make you that bike with similar dropouts for a few hundred dollars more. And considering the timberjack is designed for fat tires and a 100mm+ suspension fork, I suspect the aluminum rides fine.
    I am especially disappointed for several reasons. The main one being that I wanted to replace my current steel El Mar for a ti version. I now have to resort to looking for a used large frame on ebay or other classifieds. The Ti el Mar was a special bike, incredibly good looking and affordable (for ti).

Possible lack of a replacement frame when/if my frame breaks!

I also felt there was so much potential in that frame to transform it to a proper + wheeled frame with a few tweaks. Just look at what Jamis did with their dragon slayer. The ride difference between aluminum and steel will always be noticeable even with big tires. I think there is a certain frequency of vibrations that steel dampens better and that tires no matter the size, wont soak up. Steel is real!

The name man, I really digged the name...rip... :-(.

rth009
    May 2010
    I am especially disappointed for several reasons. The main one being that I wanted to replace my current steel El Mar for a ti version. I now have to resort to looking for a used large frame on ebay or other classifieds. The Ti el Mar was a special bike, incredibly good looking and affordable (for ti).

Possible lack of a replacement frame when/if my frame breaks!

I also felt there was so much potential in that frame to transform it to a proper + wheeled frame with a few tweaks. Just look at what Jamis did with their dragon slayer. The ride difference between aluminum and steel will always be noticeable even with big tires. I think there is a certain frequency of vibrations that steel dampens better and that tires no matter the size, wont soak up. Steel is real!

The name man, I really digged the name...rip... :-(.
    All good reasons, especially the name. I have a steel Vaya, a friend with a steel El Mar, another with a El Mar Ti, and I have a 2011 large, El Mariachi Ti made by Lynskey and I doubt I will ever part with it, even though Id love to have 2012 or 2013 with the alternators. Ive seen a few used EMTs on ebay, good luck.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-emt-aug-2016.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    I've wanted to own one of these for more time than I can remember. Finally built this up from parts I sourced over 6 months and couldn't be happier. I love this bike.

Classy build. Very clean!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

... and if we just ...

My beaty Salsa.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_20160731_084026.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hate maxxis tubeless tire((( Change them on Schwalbe smart sam

EXORCIZE

pretty frame, ugly couch

Hi folks. New here, but previous Dos Niner owner, and long time Salsa fan. Just picked up this used XL 2015 frame for a rigid SS build. I have almost no parts for it, so will be getting it together in the coming weeks/months. Planning on matching it to a Vassago 480mm chromoly fork at first and seeing how that shakes out.

I'd been looking for a XL in General Lee Orange, but hard to find. After this one popped up on ebay, I gave Rusheleven's bike a close look (great pics!), then took the dive. Upon opening the FedEx box, I was relieved - really nice looking, especially compared to my "no frills" Unit. Should build up sweet with black parts.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-em-couch.jpg
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The rot set in when they discontinued the single-pivot, flexible stays, Spearfish. If you wanted a lightweight xc suspension 29er with low maintenance costs for a bargain price it was the obvious way to go.

wanna ride bikes?
    I'm looking for an XL El Mariachi frame/complete SS if anyone knows of one that's available, please let me know. thanks
    Wanted: XL Steel single speed 29er frame. please PM with info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    I'm looking for an XL El Mariachi frame/complete SS if anyone knows of one that's available, please let me know. thanks
    https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=...=1000,2,99,101

I got mine from bike24 with no complaints. Super fast shipping and excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by steeeze View Post
    https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=...=1000,2,99,101

I got mine from bike24 with no complaints. Super fast shipping and excellent customer service.
    Steeeze where are you located? I see this place is in Germany. Shipping is not allowed in the US for Salsa frames...

mtbr member
    Really a fun bike

Cruiser

Trail

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Shipping is not allowed in the US for Salsa frames...
    Really? Yesterday I put a Salsa in my cart, typed in my USA street address, and it calculated 40.xx euros for shipping (pleasant surprise). I didn't purchase, but assumed I could. Does it block you out at the last moment?
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I just want to echo: El Mariachi is still my favorite bike out of quite a few. For some reason, it's so damn comfortable, fun and reliable...it's not a sportscar, but like that corolla you can't kill and have so many memories tied into.

With that said, problem regarding sales with the El Mar is that the segment of the population who wants one buys...one. They last forever and are relatively interchangable (44 HT and alternator drop outs), so why the need to buy another?

Professional Nerd
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I just want to echo: El Mariachi is still my favorite bike out of quite a few. For some reason, it's so damn comfortable, fun and reliable...it's not a sportscar, but like that corolla you can't kill and have so many memories tied into.

With that said, problem regarding sales with the El Mar is that the segment of the population who wants one buys...one. They last forever and are relatively interchangable (44 HT and alternator drop outs), so why the need to buy another?
    I don't think your average bike company is counting on repeat sales to one consumer. The key is to have a bike that appeals to a broader audience. Unfortunately, your average bike buyer doesn't get why the El Mar rules. The replacement aluminum boring, run of the mill, nothing unique bike, the timber jack, will surely appeal to all kinds of folks.

Btw; I just bought a left over new El Mar 2 about 5 minutes ago

Dan

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Steeeze where are you located? I see this place is in Germany. Shipping is not allowed in the US for Salsa frames...
    I am located in Australia. I just changed my location to united states and it still let's me ship it there...

EXORCIZE
    Bike24 says an extra 10 days for shipping to USA/Canada/Oz.

https://www.bike24.com/delivery.html

I did see some items that flat out weren't available to USA customers, but most were, including the red Mariachi frame.
    2011 Kona Unit

Merendon Junkie
    I think salsa has given up on being a unique and special brand. The El Mariachi does not appeal to the typical consumer, it was IMO, above that. Part of what made is special is that it was appealing to a different pallate, like peat smoked scotch on the rocks or craft (real) beer. Crap water beer and fruity drinks have a bigger market share. Now salsa has fallen into the "growth is the only measure of success" bandwagon and has started selling water beer and fruity cocktails. BOOOOOO!

Cheers

wanna ride bikes?
    I think salsa has given up on being a unique and special brand. The El Mariachi does not appeal to the typical consumer, it was IMO, above that. Part of what made is special is that it was appealing to a different pallate, like peat smoked scotch on the rocks or craft (real) beer. Crap water beer and fruity drinks have a bigger market share. Now salsa has fallen into the "growth is the only measure of success" bandwagon and has started selling water beer and fruity cocktails. BOOOOOO!

Cheers
    must be a typo, i know your not ruining good scotch by putting ice in it.
    Wanted: XL Steel single speed 29er frame. please PM with info.

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    must be a typo, i know your not ruining good scotch by putting ice in it.
    JA! yes you are right! I am reserving a neat single malt scotch to compare it to a custom built frame.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

2015 ss

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_0337.jpg

Hi guys,
    Just came across this thread and like what I see! I have the 2015 SS with upgrades being the firestarter carbon fork and Surly chainring and cog (2:1).

I would like to get a new wheelset and from reading this thread it seems this will be a significant improvement away from the Stan's Rapids. Any recommendations for wheelsets? I'd like to have a wider internal width, somewhat light, and under $1k. So far I've come across the American Classic Wide Lightning and Stans Flow.

Thanks!

Human Test Subject
    I had the shop lace up some Velocity Blunt SSs to Paul hubs. They were probably around 1k for America made parts.

I haven't heard great things about Blunt SS durability but I'm not good enough to do anything that crazy at the wrong tire pressure anyway.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Paul's or white industries. Blunt ss dent easy. Depending on how big you are.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

EXORCIZE
    So a 32t oval ring runs fine on a 2015 steel El Mar? Doesn't hit the frame at all? Salsa says 32t max. I'm building from the frame up, probably with XT M8000 crank. I was thinking oval 32t might hit the chainstay. Anybody running 34t on a steel 2014-2016 frame?

Quote Originally Posted by Vto2.0 View Post
    Well ended up with a OneUp components 32T Oval Chainring Attachment 1084833

The El Mariachi photo thread!-oval.jpg
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm running 34 oval on a sram direct mount on the same bike.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

EXORCIZE
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan_nutting View Post
    I'm running 34 oval
    Perfect. Thanks!
    2011 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    I miss my old girl...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Professional Nerd
    Sorry for the stock build photo, but I just picked up this leftover 2015 El Mar 2 from a shop and I'm pretty excited about it. Have wanted one for a long time and was happy to find a new one with warranty at a substantial discount. I'm not 100% sure what the long term plan is for the bike (SS, rigid, etc), but looking forward to just riding it as-is for a while. The General Lee orange is excellent in person, but looks a lot more like red in photos.

Dan

(saddle has been moved rearward since this photo... not sure why the shop had slammed it forward.)

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516