Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Yeah, everything is solid. Only thing I might do is try a shorter stem. I couldn't do the white either. So hard to keep clean!

mtbr member

I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?

Here is a picture of my new tie on my El Mariachi Ti.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

2013 el mariachi

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_20150307_171628.jpg

raceface turbine cinch cranck 30t
    xt cassette
    xt brakes
    kmc chain
    2015 reba fork
    ibis 941 rims hope gubs and dt swiss forged spokes
    king headset
    Last edited by aluz79; 03-10-2015 at 07:29 PM. Reason: adding parts

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Siiiick.
    Quote Originally Posted by aluz79 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150307_171628.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	971605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150307_171628.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	214.6 KB 
ID:	971605

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    El Mariachi SS by Sven98, on Flickr
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Picked up my EM3 this weekend. Super excited to get it on the trails. Stock build with a CK headset. Definitely room to upgrade in order to keep the weight down. The stormy blue is great - as someone mentioned earlier it's got that Bass Boat Blue feel.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1513.jpgThe El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1520.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Heat View Post
    Picked up my EM3 this weekend. Super excited to get it on the trails. Stock build with a CK headset. Definitely room to upgrade in order to keep the weight down. The stormy blue is great - as someone mentioned earlier it's got that Bass Boat Blue feel.

Name:	IMG_1513.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	974889Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg 
Views:	674 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	974896
    I've had mine for a few months... And a 1,000 fun filled miles! About the only thing I've added is a cap mount water bottle cage, so I can take 3 for longer rides. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2014 El Mariachi Titanium Build

1st post at the MTBR Forums...definitely a big help in the selection of the new bike. A couple of months ago, I purchased the 2014 Titanium El Mariachi...I have about 800 miles of AZ Desert trials on the El Mar now and have never ridden a more fun bike! So much so that I sold the Specialized FSR Expert due to neglect
    The El Mariachi photo thread!-2014-salsa-el-mar-ti.jpg
    - XT Cranks, Cassette, Rear Derailure, 180mm Rotors
    - Salsa Salt Flat Titanium Bars
    - Salsa Regulator Titanium Seat Post
    - WTB Pure V Seat
    - Roval Traverse Carbon Fattie Wheels
    - Ground Controler 2.3 Tires...little heavy but ton's of desert trail traction
    - Ergon 3 grips/bar ends...nice for long rides

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-Salsa View Post
    1st post at the MTBR Forums...definitely a big help in the selection of the new bike. A couple of months ago, I purchased the 2014 Titanium El Mariachi...I have about 800 miles of AZ Desert trials on the El Mar now and have never ridden a more fun bike! So much so that I sold the Specialized FSR Expert due to neglect

Name:	2014 salsa el mar ti.JPG 
Views:	1023 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	977087
    - WTB Pure V Seat
    - Ergon 3 grips/bar ends...nice for long rides
    Damn. That is a sweet build!

Shift less, Pedal more.
    My Salsa.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-imag0539.jpgThe El Mariachi photo thread!-imag0537.jpgThe El Mariachi photo thread!-imag0538.jpg
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Lovin' the love for the Ti-Mars!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

I've searched but cannot find the El Mariachi photo thread?

Made a few upgrades to my 3.
    New Reba, XT RD, SLX Crank, XT Cassette. Added wheels, slx brakes, seatpost and stem last year.
    Last edited by gaper80; 04-14-2015 at 06:54 PM.

Shift less, Pedal more.
    The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_20150412_120415.jpg

Another one. Loving the bike.

I traded in a 2015 One 9 RDO frame for this frame. I'm so happy I did.

Merendon Junkie
    The El Mariachi photo thread!-elmar-carbon-wheels.jpg

2012 El Mariachi
    Carbonbicycle 30mm rims
    100 mm reba fork
    Slx Crankset
    x9 rear derailleur (clutch)
    x9 shifter
    Esi chunky grips

Still stock
    Elixir 1 brakes, they have been good enough, surprisingly. I think I am one of the few people in the world that havent had problems with them.
    WTB pure v saddle, very nice saddle
    Salsa pro moto handlebar, nice and wide
    Stock hubs, meh. good enough, will ride them till they bust.

Rides like butter, tough as nails.

mtbr member
    Thinking about a TI El Mariachi frame to build SS. Any comments Ti over steel? Like flex ,weight, stiffness?
    Just ride and quit bit$hin....Yeti 4.5...SIR9 SS...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dancruz View Post
    Thinking about a TI El Mariachi frame to build SS. Any comments Ti over steel? Like flex ,weight, stiffness?
    It's less weight than a steel frame, I can't comment on how much less but my geared El Mariachi Ti is much lighter than my Haro Mary SS. It has a good amount flex but in a good way.

mtbr member
    Birdss...Was thinking of the One 9. But when I saw the Ti El Mar I fell in love. Any comments on why you like it better then the One9? It looks Awesome.

mtbr member
    Thx138..Thanks...was hoping for a stiffer ride.

mtbr member

Been a while since my last post but...

... here's my updated 2012 Ti El Mar. I've been running it 8sp for the past couple years, but recently "upgraded" it to 9sp. Still as awesome as ever!

The El Mariachi photo thread!-elmarti_2015-apr18.jpg
    Last edited by ŽandyA; 04-23-2015 at 09:49 AM.
    Randy

Shift less, Pedal more.
    I came from an Air 9 RDO and have never ridden a steel frame. My other bike is a SS Alum Stumpy.

I would not say the Ti Mar is flexy and I feel it climbs much better than my A9RDO ever did. Maybe this is where the 'flex' is a benefit as I feel like the rear wheel hold the ground much better. After riding 30-40 miles, the bike just wants more. Yes I have gained some weight over a carbon frame, but a super light bike isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

I've not noticed and side to side flex and I run a 34x17/18 gear combo on my SS. I feel when I stand and mash on the Ti Mar, that the power is transferred straight into rear tire pushing me forward. My Ti Mar is currently setup with a 1x11 and 142 alternators, which maybe add to the lateral stiffness.

Overall, I love the bike and it makes me wanna try a steel bike to see what the word is about.

I would try one out. I see that you ride a SC Highball, and I've heard that is one of the stiffer rides out there. The Ti may not compair, but could very well compliment.

mtbr member
    Thanks Birdss,,,,Think I will try TI....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My Ti El-Mar (which is ss- pics further up the thread^^) replaced a Karate Monkey which I loved. In fact, I still love it, just I now love it with a 3x9 gearset for the days I am too lazy or weak to ride ss!
    There is definitely less side to side flex in the El-Mar when I am honking, but it feels just as comfy as the Monkey ever did. As far as weight goes the El-Mar is not stupidly light. In fact, it's not all that light at all, but if you want light go build a plastic bike. If you want the sexiest damn singlespeed in town, then a Ti-Mar is a good starting point! lol

Adventure Mapper

Running the Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0 for a midfat front setup. Works amazingly well
    I make maps and seek out adventure using a Salsa El Mariachi with a 29+ front end. Read more here:

RideAlongside

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdss View Post

Name:	IMG_20150412_120415.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	981281

I traded in a 2015 One 9 RDO frame for this frame. I'm so happy I did.
    What do you like better about the EM?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaJoe View Post
    What do you like better about the EM?
    Yeah, what he asked! I'm interested in the answer to this question, too.r

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

ENVE MTN Fork added to the El Mariachi !

Name:	2014 salsa el mar ti.JPG 
Views:	1023 
Size:	332.1 KB 
ID:	977087

- WTB Pure V Seat
    - Ergon 3 grips/bar ends...nice for long rides[/QUOTE]

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1241.jpg[QUOTE=Dirt-Salsa;11871944]

Update: sold the Fox Float and got the new Enve Mountain Fork. The ride quality is off the chart...with the Ti frame, WTB Pure V seat, 2.3 Tires (low pressure,) Ergon Grips, and a kick butt carbon fork...made an incredible ride even better. No more fork flex front to back, reaching down to change the CTD setting, diving when too much front brake...etc etc. Weight is down to 23 lbs. Have the Whiskey 50 coming up this week...will let you know if I still love the new fork after that...a real test.

mtbr member
    Nice! Where do you ride in AZ? I'll be getting my 2014 El Mar Ti in a couple weeks and moving to Tucson (from Denver) in the fall. Whiskey 50 is the only thing I've done in AZ so far, so I'm excited to find places where the ElMar will shine. Things are so damn rocky here that only a few places favor a hardtail.

Thinking of adding a 120 Pike though. I kind of love this length and it seems that several folks have used a 120 with no issues. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Foundry Overland : Advocate Hayduke Ti : Mojo 3 : Fatback Corvus : VO Piolet

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sdemars View Post
    Thinking of adding a 120 Pike though. I kind of love this length and it seems that several folks have used a 120 with no issues. (correct me if I'm wrong)
    Been running a Reba set at 110mm for years on my El mar...hasnt caused any issues. Pike would be a killer upgrade!
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Lurch Fatbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I ride mostly East Mesa - Hawes and Usery...some McDowells and South Mountain. I have found that for 90% of the riding the rigid El Mar Ti is awesome! The other 10% I just slow down a bit. Have about 200 miles on Enve Fork now and love it. The El Mar Ti was so great I completely stopped riding my 2013 FSR Stumpy Expert EVO and sold it

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHCreighton View Post
    Yeah, what he asked! I'm interested in the answer to this question, too.r
    What I specifically like better about the Ti Mar.

Ride quality is superb. Coming from a super stiff O9RDO. I can ride the Ti Mar longer and just as fast.

Handling is excellent and it's pretty much a point and shoot kinda bike.

Seems more forgiving when in rocky, technical sections. This bike is solid.

The ride is much quiter than the O9RDO ever was. Blame the carbon and internal cables, also every time the chain engaged the rear hub, the bike would resinate a clunk.

I've got about 400 miles on my Ti Mar, the O9RDO didn't even make 250, my A9C only lasted 850. I'm confident this bike will go the distance.

I was able to trade my warrantied frame for my Ti Mar frame. I've swapped all the parts but replaced:
    Niner Flat Top Carbon for Thomson Ti Bar
    Niner RDO Stem for Thomson X4 90mm 0 degree
    Niner Carbon Seatpost for Thomson Elite Setback

The only thing left on the bike that's Niner is the YAWYD.

I got sucked into the whole carbon, light bike, $$$, latest and greatest gear epidemic, only to find out that I was still faster on my 2010 Stumpy SS than my $5k+ Carbon 1x11 O9RDO.

Just riding the El Mar puts a smile on my face.

mtbr member
    I got sucked into the whole carbon, light bike, $$$, latest and greatest gear epidemic... Just riding the El Mar puts a smile on my face.
    I sold my 2012 El Mar. When I got another HT it was carbon. Yeah it was light and worked great, but something just felt wrong. I never worried about carbon on my FS bikes but the hardtail felt sort of fragile and soulless. Just ordered a 2014 model El Mar Ti and the stoke is high

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_0026.jpg
    ...I don't miss the 80mm Reba or those Race Kings though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt-Salsa View Post

Name:	IMG_1241.jpg 
Views:	1248 
Size:	290.1 KB 
ID:	982670

Update: sold the Fox Float and got the new Enve Mountain Fork. The ride quality is off the chart...with the Ti frame, WTB Pure V seat, 2.3 Tires (low pressure,) Ergon Grips, and a kick butt carbon fork...made an incredible ride even better. No more fork flex front to back, reaching down to change the CTD setting, diving when too much front brake...etc etc. Weight is down to 23 lbs. Have the Whiskey 50 coming up this week...will let you know if I still love the new fork after that...a real test.

Awesome, man! I'm lovin' the Ti & carbon fork setup as well.

Last edited by ŽandyA; 04-24-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Randy

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Black Canyon Trail in AZ.

I love this freekin bike!!!!!

The El Mariachi photo thread!-imag0575.jpg

mtbr member
    Black Canyon Trail in AZ.

I love this freekin bike!!!!!
    Nice! '14 Ti ElMar twin will be there this fall. Good to know the beast loves the desert I've heard lots of good things about that trail too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    2014 el mar ss with an alfine 8 for the hills.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-20150424_122502.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post

Running the Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0 for a midfat front setup. Works amazingly well
    Was considering this setup. What size tire outback? And, how has the handling changed going to 29+ up front? thanks, -M.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I managed to fit a 29X3.0 VEE Rubber Trax Fatty in the back of my El Mariachi with decent clearance. No rub, even on hard turns. Front is a Knard. Rims are Velocity P35s.

The Trax Fatty tread does not extend very far down the sidewalls and this is what makes it possible to run these tires in the back with the alternator dropouts all the way back. Neither the Knard nor the Chupacabra will fit.

I only just got this up and running and so have not logged many miles. But I thought people might be interested. So far, its an exciting ride! Managed to get them set up tubeless as well. Even with these heftier wheels, its still a little lighter than my all-stock 2011 Giant Anthem X2 29er...

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1168.jpg

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1175.jpg

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1176.jpg

The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1177.jpg

mtbr member
    The El Mariachi photo thread!-elsmall.jpg

Can anyone spot something unusual?

Rider and Wrench
    Flat ole green Mariachi
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    you got a flat...

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Ha! Good eye!
    GRAPHIC DESIGN : PRINT : SOLUTIONS
    assembly1.net

mtbr member
    Yes, flat. Left the patch in my car. Pushed all the way back from trail end.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Still running tubes?

mtbr member
    Will convert the rims to tubeless once the Stan's rim tape arrived.

Human Test Subject
    Got my SS back from the shop the other day. Went with as much polished aluminum stuff that I could get that was made in the US. I still need a CK headset but I haven't broken the current one.

Cranks are White Industries 172.5 road cranks because that's a better length for me.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-11694118_10153022908603358_5296116612409026215_n.jpg

Wheels are Paul single speed (20T White trials freewheel) to Velocity Blunt SS rims. They're pretty sexy.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-11168948_10153022908638358_6698808690004121387_n.jpg

Brakes are last year's XTs. Might have gone with the new Paul Klampers but I didn't know if there would be a mountain version or when they'd come out.

Also, sorry for the quality of the pics. I uploaded them to FB with my phone and downloaded them to my computer because I'm lazy.
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
    My SS upgrade! The color on this thing is great. Kinda dark grey or black in the shade, then dark green with metal flake in the sun!
    Attachment 967676Attachment 967677
    MOAR Pictures please! I'm actually contemplating this ride, just not entirely sure about the color. The Hubs and Bar are orange, right? Good to hear it rides solid, I'm contemplating if i need a suspension fork or just suck it up and go rigid!
    Ride fast, ride often...and above all...just have fun doing it!!

mtbr member
    So I've had it for 5 months. Great bike! Within the first month I replaced the chain with a 1/2 link. The original stretched like crazy. Then I replaced the stem and handle bar with a shorter stem and riser bar. This was after a couple months with the original, just seems more comfy this way. Lastly, replaced the chainring with a Surly stainless steel after the original was chewed up. This bike jumps/bunny-hops well for a 29er, too.

The El Mariachi photo thread!-elmar.jpgThe El Mariachi photo thread!-elmar1.jpgThe El Mariachi photo thread!-elmar2.jpg

Weekend Warrior
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by pebbles View Post
    So I've had it for 5 months. Great bike! Within the first month I replaced the chain with a 1/2 link. The original stretched like crazy. Then I replaced the stem and handle bar with a shorter stem and riser bar. This was after a couple months with the original, just seems more comfy this way. Lastly, replaced the chainring with a Surly stainless steel after the original was chewed up. This bike jumps/bunny-hops well for a 29er, too.

Name:	elmar.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	1000959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elmar1.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	1000960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elmar2.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	1000961
    Thanks for the updates and pictures! I was worried the color was going to be to bright... but in these pictures it shows just like you previously stated, dark in the shadows and brighter in the light. I like it!!! Now just has to call the LBS and see what kind of deal they'll give me... then have to convince the wife...
    Ride fast, ride often...and above all...just have fun doing it!!

mtbr member
    got out of the heat and did some riding in Flagstaff AZ around Mt. Elden.
    The El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1793.jpgThe El Mariachi photo thread!-img_1800.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Here's my '12 El Mar.. got a great price discount for this here in our lbs..

Better post it now while it's still sparkly shiny..

My dream-come-true bike!