mtbr member
    Jan 2013

El Mariachi With Niner Forks?

I've tried a search but not had any luck with this one.

Is anyone running the Niner carbon fork on an El Mariachi?
    Mine is currently running SS with the Salsa Cro-Moto forks fitted and the Niner forks would be a pricey upgrade so I'm trying to get some advice before splashing £350 on the forks!

Obviously there'll be a weight saving of about a pound over the steel forks but I'm more interested in how the ride's affected.

Anyone got any experience of them?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a 2013 set up SS with a
    Niner fork. I have been really happy with the way it rides. I actually found a Whisky 7 on Ebay for a great price and put that on for a couple of rides and went right back to the Niner. The steering on the Niner is very stable and it seems to absorb vibration very well. The Whisky was kind of twitchy. Bike weighs in around 22lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Mariachi With Niner Forks?-emnew.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks for that, I've got the 2013 El Mariachi as well so that's pretty much what mine would look like with the forks fitted

I'm trying to shop around and see if there's any deals on the forks but so far not having any luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The fella here has a Niner fork on his SS EM as well....

ridingagainstthegrain | Epic Rides, Excellent Gear Reviews and Cycling with Celiac Disease

Be curious to hear more about the Whiskey vs Niner as I had been thinking about going with a Whiskey on my EM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Yeah, here's a better link to my El Mar with a Niner Fork.

Terrible garage poseur shot:

El Mariachi With Niner Forks?-8291752164_4538313c08_z.jpg

Dropped over a pound of weight, improved small bump/vibration compliance, increased front end 'loftability', improved appearance, and maintained same geometry.

I love the Niner. Unless you need fender mounts or anything cage mounts, I think it's the way to go on a rigid. I haven't ridden the Whisky tapered mountain fork, but I have a Whisky straight fork on my Vaya--the Niner is easily of equal quality.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Needajob: Nice El Mar, I have the SS El Mar. Can you list your upgrades to get your bike to #22.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I weighed it on a Park scale and it is 21.06.

Syntace Vector carbon bar/ESI Chunky grips
    Shimano XT brakes/Ice Tech Rotors
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    Titec Pluto saddle
    Niner carbon fork
    Crest wheels/3.30 hubs/Salsa skewers
    XX1 cranks/Candy 2 pedals
    Endless cog and spacers
    Cane Creek 40 headset/Chris King BB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails El Mariachi With Niner Forks?-emlb2.jpg  

El Mariachi With Niner Forks?-emlb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks, my SS El Mar is my long term project Bike. Now, I see what is possible.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've been pondering this question myself since I bought my Mariachi back in July.One day its worth the $400+ upgrade ...the next day its not.To save 3/4 lb..not sure yet.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

El Mariachi With Niner Forks?

I put a Whisky No. 7 fork on my Mamasita and wish I'd gone with the Niner or ?? instead. The threads is the brake mount were gummed up and the only way to fix was to machine away some of the leading threads and chase the rest with a tap. It barely worked. The face of the brake mount is rounded, so the brake adapter is a bit wobbly. A shop mechanic just discovered the dropouts are not colinear and needs to be fixed by removing material from one side.
    And it rides like wood! I have no comparison to other rigid forks, but I'm not impressed by the ride quality at all. I got the long version and very happy with the length and steering.
    Last edited by Motivated; 04-27-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    M

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Good to know. I have a Whisky No 5 on my Vaya, and have had good luck with it...but clearly have the Niner on the El Mar.