two wheel whore

El Mariachi Alternator dropout issues / tips

How do you guys keep your dropouts in place? After setting the bolts to 8 Nm, the drive side always pulls on those stand and mash climbs, and the tire ends up rubbing on the non-drive side. As the instructions have it, I have done the extra adjustment turn after setting the bolts tight.

After getting fed up, I tightened the crap out of them and now I'm purchasing a replacement set after stripping the dropouts. Loctite is all well, doesn't help pulling the drive side any. The non-drive side seems to stay in place, no problem.

I'm wondering if I'm too heavy for this bike (225 no gear)? I've had other issues with this bike (less than 200 miles old) and am at the end of my rope. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong, here.

mtbr member
    Can you use Surly tugnuts on the dropouts? I have heard Surly riders use and like them on some of the Surly bikes, which tend to have alternator dropouts on every model. I would think they would fit.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    I weigh about as much as you, and only had the issue once when the shop first built the bike; after we properly adjusted the tension screws the plates have been solid for hundreds of miles.

Do you have the tension screws installed?
    2013 El Mariachi Ti and a motor that needs an overhaul.

mtbr member
    Can you post a pic of your setup after you have adjusted it?

Riding and lovin it.
    I own a 2011 El Mar and weight in a 210lb. I've never hard problems with the drop outs. You just have to make sure you use the tension screws. When I adjust the dropouts I set the tension screws first then tighten the dropouts bolts. I once was testing out a different gear around town when I set it up as SS and I did not use the tension screws, the driver side swing arm moved when I mashed down going up a hill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I weigh 245 and never had an issue with mine either. I run gears not SS.

two wheel whore
    I definitely have the tensions screws set - I just followed the pdf instructions off the Salsa site. Set tension screws, tighten alternator bolts, make small adjustment on the tension screws at the end.

I'll get pictures up once I get the new drop outs in. I must be doing something wrong if no one else has issues. :/

mtbr member
    There was an issue with a Trek bike I read about that the dropout was machined wrong and it wasn't letting the bolt/nut from the rear axle make full contact on one side of the dropout, which was allowing it to slide under pedal pressure climbing. Maybe you aren't getting full contact with your dropout?

My Casseroll had alternators with tension screws. The shop said it was sortof like a headset you have to do things in order or one won't allow the proper securing of the other. Maybe you're doing it backwards or have the tension screws in backwards?
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy