mtbr member
    Dec 2010

el mariachi 2 vs 3

I am considering purchasing one of the em builds but I wavering on which build. in my very uneducated opinion it seems tbe em 2 is a much better build and only $450 more than the 3. can someone more educated in bike components chime in with their opinion on the better value.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I am sure there are others with more experience with components. I have looked at these same 2 bikes. To me its a choice of color and shimano vs. SRAM. I prefer the em2 based on color and run SRAM on my cross bikes so I favor the em2.
    If I preferred red and wanted shimano I could easily tell myself I was saving $450 and could upgrade as things break.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Well my thoughts have been the following: forks seem to be very expensive to upgrade and I am familiar with the REBA and tend to think it is a good fork, not familiar at all with the manitou tower but I get the sense it is a lesser quality fork, perhaps I am wrong. I am not familiar with the SRAM elixer 5 brakes that come on the EM 2 but my friend has a bike with elixer 1 brakes that come on the EM 3 and those brakes seem kind of cheesy to me, he constantly has to adjust them and in general they don't seem near the quality of my shimano xt brakes. on an aesthetics note I do prefer the red, it is my understanding that the EM2 and 3 are on the same frame just different color, if only they would offer the red in the EM 2 I would buy today

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The El Mar 3 is an exceptional value. The El Mar 2 wheels and othr components are lighter, and it has a 15mm TA fork instead of a QR. Both are excellent bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am leaning towards an El Mar 3. Figure I will replace/upgrade things when they break. Plus I prefer the red more.