mtbr member
    May 2011

New question here. El Mar or Spearfish?

I'm looking to pick up my first "real" mountain bike. Right now its a toss up between the El Mariachi and Spearfish.

I already have a Salsa Vaya that I built up from the frame, and I'm very happy with it, but I'm looking for a more specialized bike to compliment it.

I live in the Midwest where it is mostly flat, but plan on taking weekend trips to CO/AK. I want a bike I hit the tracks on around here, gravel roads, but also rougher terrain.

Likely would pick up a 2014 of either bike, but would be willing to pick up an older model for the right price.

Not sure if the Spearfish is more bike than I need, but I'm leaning heavily toward it at the moment.

Any advice for a mountain newb?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    14 SF. It's. great all-around if you are serious about going west. If you are flying, consider renting a fun FS bike and get the Mar as a pure Midwest machine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    here is a thought, get the El Mar and use the money you save for another wheel set for the Vaya. Then you can have a road set and a gravel grinder set while you are at home.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm already running DT Swiss X470 29er rims w/ 240 hubs so I'm pretty set there already.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Having owned both a 2012 El Mar and 2012 Spearfish 2, I highly recommend the Spearfish. In fact, I returned the El Mar for the Spearfish and haven't regretted it a single moment. Living in southern Missouri, we have lots of hills, rocks and roots and the full suspension is worth the upgrade.

I also greatly recommend waiting to purchase the 2014 Spearfish. It has the new split-pivot rear suspension design and from everything I have heard, it is the best thing since sliced bread. It helps reduce pedal-bob and gives a smoother response to small bumps and better braking.

I'm honestly thinking about upgrading my frame to the 2014 model if I can find the money...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I also have had both, I sold my El Mar so I could build my SF1 it is 9spd xo with a Tower Pro fork. I also have a 2010 Mamasita I am thinking about selling both and getting the new SF 1 or the Horsethief .....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well those are both definitely shining endorsements of the Spearfish. Sounds like the little bit extra $$$ is worth it for Spearfish over El Mar.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I recently had the exact same debate with myself. I chose a 2013 SF 2. They were, and probably still are, on sale. I am new enough to suspension, and happy enough with my purchase, and saved about $600, that I don't regret not waiting for the 2014 SF. It does sound pretty cool, however. I chose the SF 2 b/c I wanted to go tubeless right away and wanted a double crank.

I chose the SF over the El Mar after testing both. I live in central VA. It's rocky and rooty and the rear suspension takes the edge off.

I'm very happy with the SF 2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    If you can get an older SF for real cheap, go for it. But spending a little extra for the 2014 sounds worth it to me, esp. if you venture out to rougher terrain. Better rear suspension, slacker head tube, shorter chainstays, stiffer.

I have a 2011 and I really like it. It does what it's supposed to do: comfortable pedaling for all-day rides. It sounds like the 2014 does that, but is also more fun. So I'll prob spring for a new frame sometime over the next year or two.