Thread: El Mar fenders.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

El Mar fenders.

El Mar fenders whos got them?

never summer
    I've seen pics of someone running full coverage Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. I have these on my Fargo. Super easy to mount and remove.
    Fargo Ti + Moonlander + Necro Pug + Nature Boy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    I've seen pics of someone running full coverage Planet Bike Cascadia fenders. I have these on my Fargo. Super easy to mount and remove.
    Thanks, Im going to turn my El into a commuter and want to do fenders and a rear rack, I know Salsa offers a rack for the alternator drop outs but Im concerned about fenders, Ive seen a red El with the Planets on it but its an older style frame. Im a little concerned about mounting fenders and a rack, Im considering the Topeak seat post rack and maybe the SKS Velo 55 Cross fenders like these below.
    VELO 55 CROSS - mudguards - SKS Germany

mtbr member
    The planet bike fenders will keep the crud off the front derailer those won't. I have a topeak 29er rack on my fargo with the planet bike fenders and they work well together
    Last edited by t0pcat; 01-03-2013 at 08:48 AM.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by t0pcat View Post
    The plane bike fenders will keep the crud off the front derailer those won't. I have a topeak 29er rack on my fargo with the planet bike fenders and they work well together
    Thanks......my biggest concern is mounting the fenders, the El doest have any braze ons for that sort of thing and no hole in the small crossbar between the chain stays. So my mounting options are limited.

mtbr member
    zip ties are your friend! lol You can also get small plastic clamps to attach them to
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    zip ties are your friend! lol You can also get small plastic clamps to attach them to
    really? Sorry man, dont take it personal but I wont be putting zip ties on a bike. Im not into hacking something together.....Im thinking there has to be something to mount them to bike frames with out braze ons.

mtbr member
    P-Clips

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    P-Clips
    Thats what Im looking for.....THNAKS Bro.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    P-clips are good for the stays but nothing beats a zip-tie at the seat and chain bridges. 4 small holes, 2 either side of the bridge, allow you to cross over two zip-tie for extra security, without excessive and unsightly hardware that youd have to bodge for those locations when using p-clips.
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

mtbr member
    The bridges on the El Mariachi both have holes in them. Just fit a flat-headed bolt through from the tyre side of the mudguard (with a flat washer to spread the load) through these holes and finish off with another washer & nyloc nut.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The bridges on the El Mariachi both have holes in them. Just fit a flat-headed bolt through from the tyre side of the mudguard (with a flat washer to spread the load) through these holes and finish off with another washer & nyloc nut.
    Ah, id assumed they wouldn't, afteral what function would bridges with holes serve when no mounts are otherwise specced? tis a bit daft of them.
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The little bridge (if you call it that) that mounts between the seat stays does not have a hole in it. Thats the only place I would need a p-clip,

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I just can't believe no one has fenders on an El.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcticCat500 View Post
    The little bridge (if you call it that) that mounts between the seat stays does not have a hole in it. Thats the only place I would need a p-clip,
    My El Mar has a hole through that bridge. It's a black 2013 model.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My El Mar has a hole through that bridge. It's a black 2013 model.
    Yup, they changed that in 2013, the bridge between the seat stays is a flatsock, so taking another look at it I cant even use p-clips. WTF!!!!!

mtbr member
    Now you know why i said zip ties are your friend! And it doesn't mean you have to use them like some redneck would!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Now you know why i said zip ties are your friend! And it doesn't mean you have to use them like some redneck would!!
    I understand what your saying, just not into zip tying my fenders on......it ok anyway, I gave some serious thought to the Gunnar again today.