Thread: El Commuter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

El Commuter.

Well I've finally decided to turn my most comfortable bike into a commuter, after several deliberations with myself and my local bike shop (great bunch of guys for having to deal with me) I went forth and turned my El Mariachi into a commuter. I rarely ride off road anymore, hate going alone, and I enjoy spending time with my daughter on the weekends to cut into that schedule, and before anyone suggests, yes she rides, but not into the off road which is fine with me. lol.

I present the Salsa El Commuter,
    Light & Motion Urban 550 Commuter Combo lights the way perfectly, my commute is well lit but the 550 out front provides a little more security.
    Topeak Explorer 29er Rack with an MTX TrunkBag EX gives way to a lunch bag and stores a spare tube and all the tools needed for roadside assistance.
    Tires were swapped out to Geax Evolution 29ers w/ tubes, the tires roll surprisingly well and I say as smooth as Schwable's Big Apple.
    Running gear is full Sram with the exception of the crank being an FSA, Easton Havens, Cane Creek, and various Specialized and Easton components complete the build. I do have some plans to swap out the seat, but haven't decided if I want to go Brooks or not, other plans like full Thomson post, stem and bars are in the works. I may end up with a Salsa 29'er fork upfront and a few other areas of interest to slim her down a bit, she's a lil on the heavy side but one thing for sure, she wont be falling apart anytime soon.
    El Commuter.-img_20130315_141128_910.jpgEl Commuter.-img_20130315_141219_115.jpgEl Commuter.-img_20130315_141237_078.jpgEl Commuter.-img_20130315_135732_942.jpg.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Commuting in style. Very nice.

mtbr member
    I agree with the most comfortable bike as a commuter. I run cx tyres and drop on some muddies in winter.
    El Commuter.-imag0521sml.jpg

On your left.
    Jan 2004

El Commuter.

I use my Mamasita as a commuter. Major mods are Whiskey rigid fork, rear fender. I need a front fender, but fork has no provision for that, so my go with downtube guard. For tires I just use worn racing ralphs or IKON (which doesn't have enough traction on dirt anyway). I would mount old Stans Crow tires if my commute was longer. Mounting a rack pretty much eliminates maintaing mtb ability, so I won't do that, but I see the sense - especially when riding home with 20lb of groceries hanging off each side of the handlebar.
    Big factor with a commuter is minimizing service required.
    M

mtbr member
    Sweet '07 El mar!

I'm still riding mine!

El Commuter.-38926_10150218192120246_6346881_n.jpg

mtbr member
    El Awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Been wanting an El Mar for awhile, first snag was when my wife fell in love with mt biking and I used my bike fund to buy her one (crazy but well worth it). Been tossed up with getting an El Mar or a monstercross but my wife suggested go with the el mar and just get another set of wheels or at last tires. She is the smart one.

As for a rigid fork, how about placining a Fargo fork on it. This would leave an option for a rack up front and mounts for cages also. Could use it for commuting or bike packing. The Salsa FB page just showed an El Mar with Fargo fork and racks. Looked sweet!

mtbr member
    You'll need the Fargo V2 fork to keep the steering right

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Or get the enabler fork and be able to add a front fatbike tire

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Update: After a few commutes the bike is close to being a solid daily driver. But what I noticed is there isnt enough gearing out on the flats, so a crank swap may be in the works, considering a single ring upfront, that will free up some weight by eliminating the shifter,cable, fr der, and a ring. The Selle Royal saddle is 450 grams, I have a Phenom thats nearly 200g lighter but the Selle is super comfy and fits well with jeans, I may try the Phenom. Theres no doubt the tires and tubes hold some serious weight @ 840gs a tire thats huge, but these are seriously some kick-ass tires for commuting on a 29er, if anything I may go a little thinner but no till these are goners.
    Need to pick at her little at a time, but Im confident she'll be the first one out the door for many commutes to come.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Mounting a rack pretty much eliminates maintaing mtb ability, so I won't do that, but I see the sense - especially when riding home with 20lb of groceries hanging off each side of the handlebar.
    Curious why having a rack means no MTB use?

On your left.
    Jan 2004

El Commuter.

Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    Curious why having a rack means no MTB use?
    I didn't say "no MTB use", but my butt needs to go where the rack pack would be when I'm descending. I don't have any pictures, but it's not uncommon for my navel to touch my saddle - you can image the rack would interfere with that. OTB.
    M

mtbr member
    Gotcha. Makes sense.