mtbr member
    Sep 2004

DT Swiss thru axle - firestarter fork question

Just recently purchased a 2015 ti Fargo complete and although it's been a great bike the thru axle dt Swiss hub and fire starter fork combo have me concerned. I haul the bike on a platform style thule carrier, so the front wheel is not removed to haul the bike.

On two different occasions I have had the skewer back off a bit. Not much and I immediately noticed it due to the position of the lever. When I checked it, it was loose and needed tightening. I ride a mix of single track with rough sections and double track and rail trails. Both times I ran into this was after a rough single track ride.

Is anyone else having issues like this? I really wish the bike just had a standard steel fork with regular QR hubs. I have ridden with qr hubs since the mid 80s and never once had a standard QR skewer come loose.

since 4/10/2009
    Got a pic of the position you put the lever in? Possible it may be getting bumped. IME, vertical is best for these. It's how Salsa shows it on their website.

How tight is it when you tighten it? With the DT RWS skewers and thru axles, you have to crank on 'em because there's no cam to add extra pressure like with a QR or Maxle-type thru axle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Got a pic of the position you put the lever in? Possible it may be getting bumped. IME, vertical is best for these. It's how Salsa shows it on their website.

How tight is it when you tighten it? With the DT RWS skewers and thru axles, you have to crank on 'em because there's no cam to add extra pressure like with a QR or Maxle-type thru axle.
    Thanks for the reply. The axle handle is exactly where it is shown in the catalog picture. It's in line with the fork, so not vertical but just slightly angled back. It was that way when I purchased it and when I re-tighten the lever it ends back in alignment with the fork blade. When it loosens the handle ends up sitting angled back in a horizontal position. I will try and rotate the handle forward so I can get it a little tighter by pushing down on it vertically and then I can re-index the handle to the upright position.

I am a little skeptical at this point as this reminds me of the old Ringle skewers which relied on the lever to be tightened without any kind of cam action. Those were known to come loose on people and were a bad design. I was recently working on my sv650 motorcycle, and recall that it has a similar thru axle set up. The difference though, is that although it's also tightened in a similar manner, it has a clamping mechanism which locks the axle in place to keep it from coming loose and backing out.

Perhaps just tightening it tighter will resolve the issue. If it comes loose again, I am not sure what I will do as I hate always having that issue in the back of my mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    that's just bizarre. I tighten my DTS skewer and when I took my fargo into the LBS, the dude had to rotate the lid to a parallel position before he could even budge it, and that was by putting all his weight down. Are you simply not tightening the skewer tight enough?
    - 2012 Salsa Fargo
    - 2014 Stumpy FSR
    - 2015 Roubaix Carbon Disc
    - 2016 C-dale SuperX CX-1
    - 2016 Salsa Cutthroat

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I ended up rotating the lever to a right angle and bared down on the lever to tighten it as tight as I felt comfortable with. I have only been on single track a couple of times since and so far so good.

Perhaps that's it. As I mentioned since I always use a Thule Xt tray mount rack the wheel has never been off the bike and when it came loose on both occasions I just tightened it to where it had originally been which felt pretty snug. I put more force on it this time and it did tighten a bit more. Bottom line is that this could be the simple answer hopefully.