Drop bad Fargo, anyone?

mtbr member
    Thread title = fail

Fukluk = win

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbryant2 View Post
    Thread title = fail

Fukluk = win
    Yes, but this is Salsa not Surly. Man, that bike is crazy. I've just looked at the pictures and not read the post but I imagine it'll accommodate 29+. Damn.
    All good expeditions should be simple in concept, difficult in their execution and satisfying to remember--Alastair Humphreys

Harmonius Wrench
    It's really interesting to me to see the level of assumption folks have leapt to regarding this prototype. First of all, can anyone point out where it is said that this prototype uses a different geometry than a standard Mukluk?

I see a Mukluk frame with a Beargrease fork set up with drop bars, but I don't see evidence that anything else is "different" here other than the unique assembly of the different parts. (And yes- it would accept 29+ wheels, since Mukluks and Beargrease forks work with 29+ wheels.)

I'd be interested to see a link to anything that shows where it is even mentioned that this isn't just an assembly of already released component parts.

mtbr member
    well it doesnt SAY that it has different geometry but it sure as shite looks like the geometry is closer to a fargo than a mukluk, no? head tube looks to be way higher than a mukluk.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    The Salsa site (blog) talks about it being partly Fargo derived, and even mentions a NSFW portmanteau name that starts with F.

Unless I am hallucinating. Again. In which case, apologies in advance.

Yes, like many a web denizen, I am too lazy to go look and bring back a link, but not too lazy to post my... opinions.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Popper View Post
    The Salsa site (blog) talks about it being partly Fargo derived, and even mentions a NSFW portmanteau name that starts with F.

Unless I am hallucinating. Again. In which case, apologies in advance.

Yes, like many a web denizen, I am too lazy to go look and bring back a link, but not too lazy to post my... opinions.
    Well, the mere fact that it has a Woodchipper Bar makes it "Fargo derived", and doesn't necessarily mean the geo is anything different than a standard Mukluk, or then again, it could be.

What I am saying here is that we have an image and a very vague description. None of which says what many are leaping to in their conclusions. Not only here but on other on-line publications.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So "Mukluk meets Fargo" says to you, "Hey kids, look! You can put a drop bar on your Mukluk!"? Surely there is more to the blog post than that. Not that I care. I put flat bars on Fargos.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Popper View Post
    So "Mukluk meets Fargo" says to you, "Hey kids, look! You can put a drop bar on your Mukluk!"? Surely there is more to the blog post than that. Not that I care. I put flat bars on Fargos.
    I'm just looking at the evidence that has been provided and trying not to speculate. It could be something different but then again, it could be just what you are looking at- a Mukluk with drop bars painted purple

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I'm just looking at the evidence that has been provided and trying not to speculate. It could be something different but then again, it could be just what you are looking at- a Mukluk with drop bars painted purple
    Isn't it more likely it's got similar geometry alterations from a Mukluk as a Fargo has form an El Mar?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Part of the "evidence that has been provided" is the photos. If you can honestly look at the side profile shot and tell us all that we are looking at a Mukluk with drop bars, then pass me some of whatever you're smoking. On second thought, don't; I'll stick to the natural stuff.

I ride an XL Mukluk, the headtube is nowhere near as tall as the one on the purple thing. I also ride an XL Fargo, the headtube and slope and length of the top tube look much more like those on the purple thing. Also take note of the "normal" stem, and the relationship of the bars to saddle height, this would be impossible to achieve without a *very* high rise stem if salsa were using a standard Mukluk frame.

I don't know if the prototype in question is a fatbike with exactly Fargo geometry, or whatever internet speculation has your panties in a bunch. But I do know what it is not; and that's a stock Mukluk frame with drop bars.

Salsa; thanks for making all of the cool stuff you make! The "purple reign" looks pretty neat, hope it brings you miles of smiles this summer. I'd love to tell you that I'll buy one if you make it, but that would be a lie. Bike money for the foreseeable future will be spent on long trips enjoying the salsas I already have! Keep up the good work, I'll eventually wear one of them out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I used some image measurement software to look at the purple reign photos. Calibrated the measurement tool based off of wheel diameter, which is a known for the bike.

The purple reign prototype appears to be an XL type frame (22" ST length) and the headtube is indeed longer by about a full inch. Top tube has been shifted skyward a bit as well, and you can see that the gusset area and welds are larger than a standard XL Mukluk. Other angles, BB drop, wheelbase, etc, appear to be pretty closely matched to a standard Mukluk.

Caveat here is that the photo is not the highest resolution and is not quite dead on from the side, but I tried to correct for that a bit. The headtube length appears to be significantly taller and outside possible errors in photogrammetry.

So, short story... Looks like they did "Fargo-ize" a Mukluk frame at the headtube location. Makes the drop bar work without a ton of ugly spacers.

As a 6'6" rider, I'd happily be a beta-tester. Please send one my way, Salsa...

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Clydesdale Clint View Post

Caveat here is that the photo is not the highest resolution and is not quite dead on from the side, but I tried to correct for that a bit..................

So, short story... Looks like they did "Fargo-ize" a Mukluk frame at the headtube location. Makes the drop bar work without a ton of ugly spacers.
    Well, let's see......You're saying "the purple reign prototype appears to be..." and "looks like they did", so like I say. Speculation. All I am saying is that everyone is guessing and nothing has been provided by Salsa here that proves anything other than it's fun to speculate.

I don't have a horse in this race. I don't particularly care one way or the other. Drop bar fat bikes aren't anything new. I have ridden a purpose built one and have seen several others. This is a cool bike, sure. But all I am saying is a lot of folks have jumped to some conclusions with very little to no verification given by the manufacturer of the claims, and that's par for the course here, but where I've seen it reported, well.....I find it a bit surprising. That's all I'll say there.

So no big deal folks. Carry on...............

mtbr member
    its clearly a different frame. not moving on. someone is wrong on the internet. im gettin satisfied.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Picture worth a few hundred words, at least...

XL 2014 Mukluk 2 overlaid on Purple Reign.

I matched the BB location and the rear alternator mount on the frame (not the exact dropout position, since it's adjustable. Note front fork in prototype picture is not perfectly square to the camera.

Shorter top tube and taller head tube, which is pretty much the recipe for a drop bar bike, correct?

Drop bad Fargo, anyone?-untitled-1-%40-165%25-cmykpreview-_2014-05-28_08-56-52.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Seeing them overlaid was what convinced me. Much harder to tell with side-by-side shots. These two (same images/same scale) are not as compelling. Using the measurement tool calibrated using a wheel diameter does show about 25mm difference in headtube, though.

Name:  Mukluk-PR Comp.ai @ 165% (CMYKPreview) _2014-05-28_09-08-14.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  7.6 KB
    Name:  Mukluk-PR Comp.ai @ 165% (CMYKPreview) _2014-05-28_09-08-00.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  5.9 KB

I think we'd all love someone from Salsa to chime in and prove us right/wrong, however. =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll chime in. But I'm not telling you what big purple is or isn't! Rather - I'd like to read about what you guys would prefer such a bike to be/do... a Muk with drop bar geo? A Fargo with fat clearance? Something else entirely? Drop bars are lame, stop the madness?

carry on.

-pk@salsa

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Muk with Drop Bar Geometry would be awesome.... Run it with 29er wheels in summer = Fargo. More versatile. Would love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    pk,

Thanks for chiming in. As stated before, I own both a muk and a Fargo. My preference would be more along the lines of a 29+ Fargo. Money will be spent if it is steel and uses a standard witdth bottom bracket(threaded please!!!!) If it has to have a 100mm bb shell to accommodate regular fat bike tires, I'd likely still buy as long it is steel.

-Tom

mtbr member
    so any rumours of a Fat or 29+ Fargo?
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum