Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    likes to ride bikes

Dos Niner Fan Club

Salsa, don't ever discontinue this frame.

At long last, it is here. I just built up a bike based around the 2009 Dos Niner frame. Here's a parts list, I weighed it tonight and it's a ridiculous 24.4 lbs. Ridiculous because this is an XL 29er softtail frame with 185mm cranks! I wasn't really even trying to weight weenie it out, but 24 pounds is an ideal XC bike weight in my opinion.

2009 XL Salsa Dos Niner Frame
    Stan's ZTR Arch 29er Rims, DT Swiss Spokes
    American Classic hubs, front 20mm thru-axle
    2009 Rock Shock Reba Team 29er 120mm 20mm maxle fork (adjusted to 100mm)
    Surly Mr. Whirly 185mm crankset 44-32-22 with external bottom bracket
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" tires with Stan's tubeless
    Easton Monkeylite SL carbon handlebar
    Oury lock-on grips
    Avid Juicy Ultimate 160mm disc brakes
    USE Alien carbon seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR saddle
    XT front derailleur, XTR rear derailleur
    SRAM Attack 8-speed grip shifters
    SRAM 8-speed cassette and chain
    Token carbon bottle cage
    Race Face XC 70mm stem
    Crank Bros Eggbeaters 2 Ti pedals

I'll upload photos soon.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 07-10-2009 at 10:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Wow, that is impressive for a XL frame. That Surly crank has to be pretty heavy too (although I'm just assuming). The Dos Niner is my fave bike for sure. Look forward to seeing the pics.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

likes to ride bikes
    Thanks, here's photos.

The handlebars look higher than the saddle in this pic, but they're actually slightly lower

Carbon handlebars, seatpost, and SLR saddle compensate for weight gains in other areas. Having a little carbon flex in these areas is good too.

The 185mm Surly Mr. Whirly cranks immediately impress. They weigh in with bottom bracket at 1020g but I wouldn't do without them.

Through-axle Reba Team 120 set to 100mm travel is gracefully plush.

The Salsa Dos Niner is all tatted up, even on the seatstays! Beefy 2.4s barely fit in the back against the flattened chainstays. Dialed in the Relish shock at about 15psi.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 07-12-2009 at 06:25 AM.

i heart singletrack
    Wow... That's a great looking Dos. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
    MG

likes to ride bikes
    Thanks. I love the inked out, tatted-up look of the silver frame. I also want to go faster. I ride an offroad route to work every day. First day on the new bike, I broke my previous record by 18 seconds.

Hud
    Singletrack minded
    Nice looking build! The white rims go nicely.

I wonder if the colour for 2010 is going to change, not such a fan of silver, I like spicy colours.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

likes to ride bikes
    I believe that the silver was chosen because paint chips easily on scandium frames. For me that's good since I intend to rail on this bike pretty hard. I suppose they could anodize it another color. I can tell you that the grey-on-silver graphics look cooler in person, like I said it looks like a full body tatoo on the Dos Niner

After getting the right pressure, the Relish is doing its job and keeping my back from getting sore. I fell like I'm going to strengthen my back muscles because it's making me get off the saddle a little more than my previous bike. That's fine, because the Dos Niner feels completely under control. The 29er's wheelbase, or really, the length from longitudinal tip of the front wheel to the rear tip of the back is monstrous compared to my old Scalpel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hey ive got a stupid question, im not familier with this frame but am interested in this frame. anyway if this is a softtail frame how does the lower part of the frame pivot with suspension movement? i know it only has 1 inch of rear travel but how does this work? does the lower rear frame move down at the bottom bye the crank? i cant find any pics of just a dos 9er frame.

likes to ride bikes
    Yes, it's an all scandium/aluminum alloy frame. The chainstays (tubes down by the chain) are flattened so that they're thin vertically but thick horizontally, meaning that it will flex up but not sideways. You can see it in the pics above. You'll read of other guys on MTBR that have raced a Dos Niner frame for years, it's a simple, tough design.

With an all-metal frame I guess 1" is the most they can expect to get out of it. On a 29er this is good enough. It feels great on descents, climbing, and the pavement. I'm not going to tell you it's the same thing as a 3" full-suspension bike, but it's about 2 lbs lighter than most of those frames, and you don't have to worry about shock service, worn/broken linkages, or losing any power to suspension bob.

Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    hey ive got a stupid question, im not familier with this frame but am interested in this frame. anyway if this is a softtail frame how does the lower part of the frame pivot with suspension movement? i know it only has 1 inch of rear travel but how does this work? does the lower rear frame move down at the bottom bye the crank? i cant find any pics of just a dos 9er frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks alot i did manage to find a pic of an 07 frame (paint on those were alot better LOL) and was able to see the down tube i talked to some local racers at a local bike shop and 2 of them use this frame and they both love it. they ride on med. frams and when i sat on it it felt alot bigger than other med. frames. but thease guys swear up and down on the salsa bikes so other than the silver wich i love and hate im starting to get pretty pumped on the salsa rides and may be building one this winter.

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    thanks alot i did manage to find a pic of an 07 frame (paint on those were alot better LOL) and was able to see the down tube i talked to some local racers at a local bike shop and 2 of them use this frame and they both love it. they ride on med. frams and when i sat on it it felt alot bigger than other med. frames. but thease guys swear up and down on the salsa bikes so other than the silver wich i love and hate im starting to get pretty pumped on the salsa rides and may be building one this winter.
    I've owned every version of the Dos Niner except the newest silver one (I ended up going with a Big Mama this season), but I still have my orange '07 frame, which is pictured in these photos. It's an awesome bike if you're looking for a frame that weighs just a bit more than a hardtail, but offers a much smoother ride. It's not a true full suspension bike, but as I've told many folks before, it's more like a hardtail with privileges. You can get away with stuff on a Dos that you'd never be able to get away with on a regular hardtail. It's pretty incredible -- just about the perfect 12 or 24 hour bike for a fit rider.

Good luck!
    MG
    Attached Images Attached Images

likes to ride bikes
    What made you choose to go with the Big Mama for racing?

Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    I've owned every version of the Dos Niner except the newest silver one (I ended up going with a Big Mama this season), but I still have my orange '07 frame, which is pictured in these photos. It's an awesome bike if you're looking for a frame that weighs just a bit more than a hardtail, but offers a much smoother ride. It's not a true full suspension bike, but as I've told many folks before, it's more like a hardtail with privileges. You can get away with stuff on a Dos that you'd never be able to get away with on a regular hardtail. It's pretty incredible -- just about the perfect 12 or 24 hour bike for a fit rider.

Good luck!
    MG

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    What made you choose to go with the Big Mama for racing?
    The desire to have more travel... and the fact that I already have a Dos Niner in the quiver. Now I have both bikes to be able to choose from!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Ok, just how tall are you that you're working the XL with 185 cranks?
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

likes to ride bikes
    Glad you asked, I'm 6'4" with a 36-37" inseam. I should also mention that I have size 15 feet, which makes for a little more ecto-morphism I guess

I'm looking at my Reba Team 120 and wondering whether by having the shop adjust the travel down to 100, the shock has compressed at all. I have no complaints about the geometry or pedal ground clearance so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Ok, just how tall are you that you're working the XL with 185 cranks?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm thinking the silver frame would look pretty sweet paired with all silver hardware. On the other hand, sometimes it looks real crappy when colors don't quite match.

Thoughts?

I just ordered a 20" myself (6'6, 36 inseam) and I'm going to be using 175 cranks (i run them on ALL my bikes, except for my singlespeed which is 180). I see no need to order the XL just for a fraction of an inch more of TT room right now, with a much greater increase in standover. Its taking over from a 17" GT Peace 9R multi i've been using. The parts are coming off the GT and going to the Salsa... parts like WTB Laserdisc lite on DT 7.1 rims with DT Revo 1.8/1.5 spokes and alloy nipples, same tires as you, DuraAce 9sp thumbies, Shimano XT Hollowtech Octalink cranks, 22/34/bashguard, 11-34 XT cassette, and so on. I just picked up an 09 Reba Race at cost+10% today, ordered the frame maybe 30 mins before that. I figure low 24 range will be easily achieved also. I'm just debating if i'll move the gold annodized headset over also... it would tend to clash with my silver/black/red colour scheme i have in mind.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 07-15-2009 at 06:34 PM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

likes to ride bikes
    I felt robbed of sprinting and climbing power with 175s. I'm not sure why tall guys do that to themselves, small cranks and frames, but I suppose you have your reasons. I do ride a 58cm cyclocross bike with long stem and layback seatpost, which feels just fine.

Most of what I've bought was measured in trying to get better performance in races. I have to say that the new Dos Niner looks like a monster truck next to my old Scalpel, but the long top tube and bigger wheel out in front is very much welcome, especially on really steep drops. I do like a small stem to make the handling as quick as possible against the other big elements.

By the way, Racing Ralph 2.4s fit ok in dry conditions, with a tiny but of rub in hard corners at low psi. In mud though they clog up in front and back really quickly on this bike. I'll buy 2.2s or 2.3s next.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I just ordered a 20" myself (6'6, 36 inseam) and I'm going to be using 175 cranks (i run them on ALL my bikes, except for my singlespeed which is 180). I see no need to order the XL just for a fraction of an inch more of TT room right now, with a much greater increase in standover. Its taking over from a 17" GT Peace 9R multi i've been using. The parts are coming off the GT and going to the Salsa... parts like WTB Laserdisc lite on DT 7.1 rims with DT Revo 1.8/1.5 spokes and alloy nipples, same tires as you, DuraAce 9sp thumbies, Shimano XT Hollowtech Octalink cranks, 22/34/bashguard, 11-34 XT cassette, and so on. I just picked up an 09 Reba Race at cost+10% today, ordered the frame maybe 30 mins before that. I figure low 24 range will be easily achieved also. I'm just debating if i'll move the gold annodized headset over also... it would tend to clash with my silver/black/red colour scheme i have in mind.

mtbr member
    wow, that first bike in the tread looks just like mine! Here is my 09 Dos 1x9 with 2010 Reba Race 120mm fork and some other goodies. Was not sure about the white / silver but it has grown on me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ok im 6"3 235lbs with a 34-35 inseam should i go large or extra large? if i recall this frame runs on the bigger side? i love that orange/red 07 dos!!!!! how long into the year would i have to wait to see the 2010 salsa line up? someone told me salsa wont have anything in 2010 line up until dec/jan.this could end up being a slow winter build up. man i havent built a bike since my hutch bmx back in the 80's it was pricey but i had a bad ass hutch racer. frame/fork is sitting in my basement.

likes to ride bikes
    You have excellent taste, newking

roscoe1971, you're only slightly shorter than me, go with the XL and get a short stem. You should have plenty of standover.

The DosNiner shares the same back end for three of the frame sizes (21.3 inch seattube on the 16, 18 and 20" frames), so you're always going to be limited with how low the seatpost can go. Its DEFINITELY not a frame for short people, and even if the standover on the 16" isn't that bad, many folks will complain about the seatpost not being able to go low enough.

The 20" has a 24.4" effective toptube and the 22" (which is really a 23.7" seattube) has a 25" effective toptube. The difference in standover is a bit over an inch though (at over 33" for the 22" frame). I'm riding a 24.1" effective toptube now with a 120mm stem on my current 29er. The 20" Dos will let me go to a 110mm stem and keep exactly the saddle to bar distance i like to use now (and the same as I have on my 20" beasley with a 130mm stem and most all my 26er bikes which tend to run 130 or 150mm stems depending on TT length). If I got the 22" Dos I'd have to go to a 95mm stem to be in the same position and well, that's not quite a common size for stems. Not to mention I already have a nice 120g titanium 110mm stem ready and waiting to go on it when the frame arrives, hopefully next week. In addition, even if I wanted a longer compartment, a 20mm longer stem is lighter than a 2" bigger frame size. The only reason at all for me to run a 25" toptube would be if I planned to use my Ti Jones bar on it, which I don't, as I haven't actually enjoyed it that much.
    Last edited by DeeEight; 07-15-2009 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    another one....

Selma being ordered tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

2009 Dos Niner

2009 Dos in size midget. Many thanks to Velomech in Boise!

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by funboarder1971
    another one....

Selma being ordered tomorrow.
    That looks light. Nice build. Got a weight?
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast