Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

wow...that's exactly how I felt on my old mtn bike

You said "I have yet to find a bike that I do not feel like I am sitting on top of - I am looking for a bike that will feel like I am actually sitting inside the cockpit. If this makes sense do taller Dos riders feel that you are actually inside the cockpit instead of perched high atop it? "

This is almost word for word as to what I told my buddy after getting my dos niner two weeks ago.

I'm 6'3" with long longs and arms...I've always ridden 26" Large size steel hardtails...that have never fit right. Picture a 400mm seat post nearly maxed out.

Anyway I went with an XL with a 100mm stem and I'm so glad that I did. I've never, never even close felt so balanced and comfortable...especially when descending...I'm thrilled!

~matt

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

wow...that's exactly how I felt on my old mtn bike

You said "I have yet to find a bike that I do not feel like I am sitting on top of - I am looking for a bike that will feel like I am actually sitting inside the cockpit. If this makes sense do taller Dos riders feel that you are actually inside the cockpit instead of perched high atop it? "

This is almost word for word as to what I told my buddy after getting my dos niner two weeks ago.

I'm 6'3" with long longs and arms...I've always ridden 26" Large size steel hardtails...that have never fit right. Picture a 400mm seat post nearly maxed out.

Anyway I went with an XL with a 100mm stem and I'm so glad that I did. I've never, never even close felt so balanced and comfortable...especially when descending...I'm thrilled!

~matt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky
    Nice bike! Do you have that reba set at 80mm? I think mine is at 100mm but not completely sure as I bought it used. Don't sell it, you'll regret it later!
    Thanks! Sorry for not checking back sooner. The fork is set at 80mm. Seems to be plenty for me but I'd like to try something with 100mm at some point.

I may regret selling it but have to make room in the stable for something new. Look for it on Ebay or here on the classifieds soon. Will likely part it out.

Cheers!

mtbr member

What I like about my Dos...

Tim, I have several things that attracted me to and what I continue to like about my Dos Niner:
    • Lightweight
    • Soft-tail design would take the edge off the rough stuff
    • Good looks

It definitely met my expectations above! Here is what I continue to like about it:

• Fast bike
    • Doesn't bob, even when out of the saddle
    • Makes longer rides more comfortable
    • Geometry fits me great
    • Simplicity of a hardtail but with some of the benefits of full suspension

mtbr member

my dos in 2007

Dos Niner Fan Club-picture_110.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just finished my new salsa dos niner build. actually only the grips are new, i got a used '08 frame because of the nice color and build it up with existing components. i liked the build and ended up putting nicer and nicer components ...

this will be my back up trail bike, therefore TA and just 1x9 gearing. weighs about 23lbs, so it may see some endurance racing as well.

and it will make my waiting for the tang air9 carbon lots easier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-salsa-2.jpg  

Dos Niner Fan Club-salsa-1.jpg  

Dos Niner Fan Club-salsa-3.jpg  

Dos Niner Fan Club-salsa-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    In here is mine...in French

://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7772/p1020376d.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's my 2009 Dos with a mix of XTR/XT parts. Weighs a smidge over 24 lbs right now.

I'm still playing with air pressure. I weigh ~165 and I currently have about 15psi in the shock. How far down should the o-ring go at full travel?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-dos_niner_01.jpg  

Dos Niner Fan Club-dos_niner_02.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Salsa Dos Niner frame

All I've got right now is a really nice piece of art for my desk in the basement. Not sure if I'll build it up to match my La Cruz in color scheme, or do something different. Looking forward to actually riding it come spring.

likes to ride bikes
    My Dos Niner has been a real winner for me this year.

Hey can someone give me the clamp size for the front derailleur? Looking at a roadie model for my 2 chainrings, for less mud grabbing and lighter weight than XT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

likes to ride bikes
    I'm lazy for not finding out myself, but 34.9mm it is. I'd bet that 35mm would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    My Dos Niner has been a real winner for me this year.

Hey can someone give me the clamp size for the front derailleur? Looking at a roadie model for my 2 chainrings, for less mud grabbing and lighter weight than XT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    Here's my 2009 Dos with a mix of XTR/XT parts. Weighs a smidge over 24 lbs right now.

I'm still playing with air pressure. I weigh ~165 and I currently have about 15psi in the shock. How far down should the o-ring go at full travel?
    I wanna say that I read from Salsa that you should actually bottom the shock out a couple of times each ride (depending on terrain of course)otherwise you are not using the shocks full 1" of travel. I am about your weight and I ran mine at "0" psi. Many others do the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark
    I wanna say that I read from Salsa that you should actually bottom the shock out a couple of times each ride (depending on terrain of course)otherwise you are not using the shocks full 1" of travel. I am about your weight and I ran mine at "0" psi. Many others do the same.
    I'm around 165 lbs. and never run mine over 5psi...

Nice bike btw!
    Like the silver. Are you running an 80 mm fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    The DosNiner shares the same back end for three of the frame sizes (21.3 inch seattube on the 16, 18 and 20" frames), so you're always going to be limited with how low the seatpost can go. Its DEFINITELY not a frame for short people, and even if the standover on the 16" isn't that bad, many folks will complain about the seatpost not being able to go low enough.

The 20" has a 24.4" effective toptube and the 22" (which is really a 23.7" seattube) has a 25" effective toptube. The difference in standover is a bit over an inch though (at over 33" for the 22" frame). I'm riding a 24.1" effective toptube now with a 120mm stem on my current 29er. The 20" Dos will let me go to a 110mm stem and keep exactly the saddle to bar distance i like to use now (and the same as I have on my 20" beasley with a 130mm stem and most all my 26er bikes which tend to run 130 or 150mm stems depending on TT length). If I got the 22" Dos I'd have to go to a 95mm stem to be in the same position and well, that's not quite a common size for stems. Not to mention I already have a nice 120g titanium 110mm stem ready and waiting to go on it when the frame arrives, hopefully next week. In addition, even if I wanted a longer compartment, a 20mm longer stem is lighter than a 2" bigger frame size. The only reason at all for me to run a 25" toptube would be if I planned to use my Ti Jones bar on it, which I don't, as I haven't actually enjoyed it that much.
    So you cut the setpost down. problem solved
    Check out this organization that I ride with:
    www.r2rministry.org

http://www.facebook.com/destindanserphotography

likes to ride bikes

geometry

Anyone riding/racing a size smaller than advisable with a longer stem and/or layback seatpost?

I'm a pretty tall guy, 6'4", 36" inseam, long arms, big feet. This was my first 29er and as I race it more and get more demanding of the bike, I have been making minor tweaks to my position on the XL frame.

The first thing I noticed coming from a 26" is how much more wheel is sticking out front on a 29er. That was very much welcome, I could take big descents with much more confidence.

As I learned to rail corners I found the 70mm stem had me too far back and I switched to 100mm. That made the cockpit feel too lengthy and I slid the seat forward. Now I'm feeling the need to weight the front even more and noticing the slightly sluggish turning with a big wheelbase on tight switchbacks.

I've been studying the measurements between the Dos Niner XL and L, here are the differences:
    Seat Tube: 23.76" XL, 21.35" L, difference= 2.41"
    Top Tube C-C: 24.06" XL, 23.36" L, difference = 0.7"
    Top Tube (Horiz): 24.46" L, 25.0" XL, difference =0.54"
    Head Tube: 3.9" L, 4.3" XL, difference = 0.4"
    Front-Center: 26.0" L, 26.7" XL, difference = 0.7"
    Standover: 32.38" L, 33.48" XL, difference = 1.1"

The only significantly negative difference I see is in seat tube length; I may have to buy a longer seatpost. The Head tube difference of 0.4" is somewhat annoying since the XL's is pretty short to begin with. The >3/4 inch of difference in top tube might be just perfect.

Complicating this decision is the fact that I favor my 120mm maxle Reba. Plushed out with lowered psi, it still gives me excellent clearance for the 185mm Surly cranks that I swear by. I think a shorter wheelbase could compensate for the slower turning angle that this fork gives me.

Thoughts or experiences? If anybody has an offer to make in trade, PM me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-53116980.jpg  

mtbr member
    I don't have this anymore but I came across this photo in my computer and just figured that I would post it up for the sake of the thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am new to the Dos Niner thing. Can anyone comment on out of the saddle hammering? Does it feel like a hardtail when standing and pedaling to accelerate for small jumps? Thanks for any help. Looking to buy a medium soon..

Oh also, I want to set up as a SS andy thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feels just like a HT out of the saddle IMO. As for setting it up SS, others have done it successfully.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Anyone riding/racing a size smaller than advisable with a longer stem and/or layback seatpost?

I'm a pretty tall guy, 6'4", 36" inseam, long arms, big feet. This was my first 29er and as I race it more and get more demanding of the bike, I have been making minor tweaks to my position on the XL frame.

As I learned to rail corners I found the 70mm stem had me too far back and I switched to 100mm. That made the cockpit feel too lengthy and I slid the seat forward. Now I'm feeling the need to weight the front even more and noticing the slightly sluggish turning with a big wheelbase on tight switchbacks.

I've been studying the measurements between the Dos Niner XL and L, here are the differences:
    Seat Tube: 23.76" XL, 21.35" L, difference= 2.41"
    Top Tube C-C: 24.06" XL, 23.36" L, difference = 0.7"
    Top Tube (Horiz): 24.46" L, 25.0" XL, difference =0.54"
    Head Tube: 3.9" L, 4.3" XL, difference = 0.4"
    Front-Center: 26.0" L, 26.7" XL, difference = 0.7"
    Standover: 32.38" L, 33.48" XL, difference = 1.1"

The only significantly negative difference I see is in seat tube length; I may have to buy a longer seatpost. The Head tube difference of 0.4" is somewhat annoying since the XL's is pretty short to begin with. The >3/4 inch of difference in top tube might be just perfect.

Complicating this decision is the fact that I favor my 120mm maxle Reba. Plushed out with lowered psi, it still gives me excellent clearance for the 185mm Surly cranks that I swear by. I think a shorter wheelbase could compensate for the slower turning angle that this fork gives me.

Thoughts or experiences? If anybody has an offer to make in trade, PM me.
    You are a tad beyond the "tweener" spot [6'2" - 6'3"] that could probably make a size L work. You firmly land in the size XL category and that's usually where I go as well in spite of testing and trying to make a size L fit before.

I'm pretty much the same dimensions as you (long legs and arms, but a hair under 6'4" (I'm 191.5cm) and a hair under 36" inseam (35.75") using the bare foot on the floor to top of book in the crotch measurement) and comfortably ride the 2006 XL Dos with a 5 degree 90mm stem (sometimes I flip it down and sometimes not). But I ride and race it with my older generation Reba Race set at 80mm. I've yet to try my Reba at 100 on the Dos, but I like the quickness of the 80mm for XC racing. 180mm cranks.

Maybe your fork at 120mm, with your seat slid forward and perhaps too long of a stem compromises your turning/handling and is the underlying reason you are contemplating swapping frame sizes. I think for your size, dropping to the size L is going to end in a bad fit filled with band-aids. That's my opinion of course - totally based on being the same size as you. Okay, my feet are not size 15, but my son's are. ;-]

Why did you jump all the way from a 70mm stem to a 100mm stem? I guess if you had a 17 degree sweep handlebar you would be okay with 100 - 110mm stem, but I bet there is a sweet spot waiting for you in there around 90mm stem length. I've tried 85mm, 90, 100, 105, 110 all with various angles and a half dozen handlebars thanks to my parts bin and other bikes in the garage. That's all part of the natural tweaking phase one goes through as they get used to a bike and look for handling improvements.

I would not be so quick to trade out to a smaller frame size. All the plumbing (bars, stem, spacers, etc...) might get even more crazy with the smaller size L frame and lead to utter frustration. Heck, the Dos Niner - as well as the XL Karate Monkey - both have one of the shortest ETT's for the size XL's out there in 29"er land compared to other brands (ditto for the Dos and KM's wheelbase - short). My Sugar 293's ETT is 1/2 longer and my JET and RIP are also longer in XL than the Dos (both ETT and wheelbase). What does the ETT mean stem wise if you dropped down to the smaller sized L frame? 1/2" = 12.7mm so in addition to more seatpost, you'll need a longer stem and/or more layback on the seatpost. And more spacers, stem/bar rise to deal with the even shorter head tube length. I think you are on the correctly sized bike.....

My XL in 23.x lbs. with flipped 90mm stem and very little sweep bar race kit:

RaceLightDos

And here she is in flipped up 100mm stem and bar with more sweep formation:

DosNinerConAspens

Since your Dos is still pretty new to you, I'd say keep fiddling and tweaking the fit with proper stem length, saddle position and fork travel until you find your sweet spot. I'll be riding my 5th XC race season this year on the Dos and it took a season or two to dial in the sweet spot and really get comfortable on the bike. Even then, I still like to play with bar height, stem length, stem angle all the time just for the heck of it. I run narrow bars with very little bend in them for tight and twisty courses and sometimes run the Salsa 17 degree bend bar with longer stem for other courses and training. It all depends.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 01-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Okay, how about the seating position is it more relaxed or are you bent over like a true cross country race position? Thanks again

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest72
    Okay, how about the seating position is it more relaxed or are you bent over like a true cross country race position? Thanks again
    Are you looking for a more relaxed position on the bike or to be more bent over on the bike?

I can do both (as well as everything inbetween) on my bike depending on number of spacers, stem rise, bar rise, etc... combinations. The headtube is short (too short IMO for those of us riding the XL) and with an 80mm fork - one can get a huge saddle to bar drop if desired. Or one can add plumbing to get things adjusted (see my photos above in this thread) up enough. I run with about a 1 - 2" saddle to bar drop before accounting for sag. And if the HT is not too short for riders in all sizes of the Dos, one can run a negative stem to get lower if so desired.

I run it most of the time with a little drop and pretty narrow flat bars with little bend, but as you can see by the amount of spacers I use - there is plenty of room for an extreme drop.

Using the 2 pictures from above again to show examples, I get in a good position on climbs with this set-up:

RaceLightDos

BBDiggingDeep

And out of saddle is easy to use for those power up grunt climbs...

GrindingUp

My more "all mountain" position that is more upright using the higher rise stem and Salsa 17 degree bend bar gets me closer to level between bar and saddle before sag:

DosNinerConAspens

However, that forces me to really bend the arms and tuck on the climbs:

ClimbingLakeside

Border Battle Opening Climb

So that set-up using the higher rise stem and severe bend bar doesn't get used as often for my racing. But it sure is comfy for training and longer efforts - or races that I want a little more upright and comfy position on for whatever reason.

You can dial it in however you want is what I'm saying. Spacers, stems, bars and any combination of them allows you to be way below saddle, just a bit below, even with or if one wanted to even be above the saddle. Mix and match. Accessorize!!

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 01-03-2010 at 07:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for all of the great info. I actually want the bar at or above the saddle height to give me more of the relaxed positioning because of my lower back. From the pics it looks like this will be impossible on the dos niner.

Thanks again

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Forest72
    Thanks for all of the great info. I actually want the bar at or above the saddle height to give me more of the relaxed positioning because of my lower back. From the pics it looks like this will be impossible on the dos niner.

Thanks again
    Not true. Did you read my post above and see the pictures? You can easily get the bar at or above saddle level (providing you don't hack off too much of the steerer tube on your fork so that no amount of spacers, stem angle and riser bar would get you at or above saddle level). Heck, run it with a 100mm suspension fork and you'd be there in a New York minute!

And look at all the pictures in these two Dos Niner threads you are posting on. Lots of Dos Niners with the bars above the saddle.

BB

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    okay, this will be the new 09 so the steere tube (Reba SL) will still be in tact. It looked like the pics showed the bars below the saddle but I will take your word for it and also upgrade that Reba to the 100mm. Thanks again for the help!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast