Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 151 to 200 of 294
  1. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bertocq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16
    Well after asking Jason from thesoiledchamois.com I'm convinced, but anyway I'll try to make a small mudguard for the shox

    The frame is here at last!! http://picasaweb.google.com/bertocq/SalsaDosNinerCustom I'm still waiting for the fork, wheels and etc... I'm surprised with de 1,97kg of weight, and the sound of "can" when you hit it with the fingers (and the small paint pot too) Many thanks Salsa for this amazing frame!

  2. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    192

    rim width

    Seems rim width makes a big difference, I got a wolverine 2.2 on a stan's flow that has come out of true a touch and rubbed a bit on the chainstay, not much room down there! The funny thing is that 2.2 looks about the same as a weirwolf 2.5 mounted on an Arch rim. I do like the wolverine, it works great, good sidewall.

  3. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    88
    I ordered a dos niner with the stock build from webcyclery.com. Medium size was not in stock and was ordered from salsa. The box arrived at the door steps today.

    I opened the box to find a set of Delgado 29er Disc Race Rims, instead of the Semi 29er Disc Rims that I was expecting because the XT build clearly specifies the Semi's and not the Delgados.

    After looking at threads like this, I am concerned...
    Salsa Delgado Disc Rims DANGEROUS!!!

    Likewise I can't find anything on the salsa web-site about delgado race rims. I see the Semi's, the gordos, and the delgado cross, but nothing about the delgado race rims.

    Do you guys know know anything a bout them or have any specs? Here are the pics.



  4. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    32
    I would suggest that you measure the width of your rims. I just got a new dos also and one wheel was labeled semi and the other was labeled delgado. they both measured the same and I'm convinced they are semi's and the one has the wrong sticker on it.

  5. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsteevo
    I ordered a dos niner with the stock build from webcyclery.com. Medium size was not in stock and was ordered from salsa. The box arrived at the door steps today.

    I opened the box to find a set of Delgado 29er Disc Race Rims, instead of the Semi 29er Disc Rims that I was expecting because the XT build clearly specifies the Semi's and not the Delgados.

    After looking at threads like this, I am concerned...
    Salsa Delgado Disc Rims DANGEROUS!!!

    Likewise I can't find anything on the salsa web-site about delgado race rims. I see the Semi's, the gordos, and the delgado cross, but nothing about the delgado race rims.

    Do you guys know know anything a bout them or have any specs? Here are the pics.
    Hi, I run kinda similar setup with XT hubs, DT Comp spokes for 1.5 year, with ~ 15 competitions within this period - and no issues at all . Each rimm weighted ~ 440 grams.

    I was around 187 lbs last year, with rather smooth style of riding.

  6. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    88
    Looking down at the rim (upright), with the tire removed from the wheel, the outside measurement is 30mm, which indicates that it is a Semi.

    Edit: Got in touch with Eric at Salsa. Eric confirmed that some of the wheel sets were mislabeled at the warehouse as Delgado Races, but Salsa stands behind the fact that they are Semis. The measurements confirm it.

    Quote Originally Posted by farmer255
    I would suggest that you measure the width of your rims. I just got a new dos also and one wheel was labeled semi and the other was labeled delgado. they both measured the same and I'm convinced they are semi's and the one has the wrong sticker on it.
    Last edited by vtsteevo; 04-06-2010 at 08:10 AM.

  7. #157
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bertocq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16

    Never gonna ride a 26er again!!

    I finally got it built !!

    Today was the first test, the fork lock wasnt well installed but I enjoyed it alot. I was surprised with the Relish shox, with 50psi and my 210lb of weight it was a good feeling in the rear wheel.


    Some more photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/bertocq/SalsaDosNinerCustom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-26vs29.jpg  

    Dos Niner Fan Club-mydosniner.jpg  

    Dos Niner Fan Club-mysalsadosniner.jpg  


  8. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flat Ark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,640
    [QUOTE=vtsteevo]Looking down at the rim (upright), with the tire removed from the wheel, the outside measurement is 30mm, which indicates that it is a Semi.

    Edit: Got in touch with Eric at Salsa. Eric confirmed that some of the wheel sets were mislabeled at the warehouse as Delgado Races, but Salsa stands behind the fact that they are Semis. The measurements confirm it.[/QUOTE

    Sorry wrong thread.

  9. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertocq
    I finally got it built !!

    Today was the first test, the fork lock wasnt well installed but I enjoyed it alot. I was surprised with the Relish shox, with 50psi and my 210lb of weight it was a good feeling in the rear wheel.


    Some more photos:
    Nice build and welcome to the club of the DOS niner fans!
    What is the weight of your bike and can you elaborate a bit about your saddle ? is it DuoPower ?

    Cheers !

  10. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bertocq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for the comments.

    The bike weights 26,5 lb (12,1kg) but its not finished yet, this week I'm gonna install a new XT 180mm crankset and 11-34 XT cassette and XT/SLX Bottom Bracket, so I'll save some weight. The seatpost is for testing too, and I have to cut it to save some more weight.

    My saddle is a Duopower Arrow (190 gr.)

    To know more about this ergonomic saddles the best option is read the users manual: http://www.duopower.com/uploads/documents/ENG.pdf For the lazy readers I would say that every biker I know that tried it, never went back to the "normal" saddles, even womens love it. Its a basic concept.. sit on your bones and not on your balls.

    Many bikers say that this saddles are ugly, but they say it too about 29ers... In spain we say that opiniones are like the ass, everone got one... but mine got no problem to sit down after a long mtb ride. The most suspicious bikers say that the pro's dont use them.. but is for legal reasons, because the UCI doesnt allow saddles that are so short, but referees doesnt take much attention to it here, at least in mtb races.

  11. #161
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893

    To each their own

    Looks like that saddle might be more comfortable, whatever works for you. A technique I use on steep, loose technical climbs is to sit on the very nose of the saddle, in order to weight the rear but get as forward as possible. It's hardly a flattering position, but it is at least possible with a traditional saddle.

    With those dropped stems I wonder if the posters do many descents? I wouldn't say that being more aero isn't helpful, but that wouldn't have been the reason I'd have guessed for doing it. I can see how it would aid cornering to be 4" below the saddle, but looks kind of dangerous for when you're hauling ass downhill.

  12. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bertocq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16
    Well with this saddle, that position is more conftable, because there is no "nose" that can hurt your ass, and its more easy to jump on/off it in a hard climb. I live in the north of spain, where we have roads and trails with 23-30% inclination and we really apreciatte the lack of "nose".

  13. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    Looks like that saddle might be more comfortable, whatever works for you. A technique I use on steep, loose technical climbs is to sit on the very nose of the saddle, in order to weight the rear but get as forward as possible. It's hardly a flattering position, but it is at least possible with a traditional saddle.

    With those dropped stems I wonder if the posters do many descents? I wouldn't say that being more aero isn't helpful, but that wouldn't have been the reason I'd have guessed for doing it. I can see how it would aid cornering to be 4" below the saddle, but looks kind of dangerous for when you're hauling ass downhill.
    We are all different and ride & compete in different environments. Indeed there are no many descents here where I live, so from my perspective i can justify from the tactical perspective this 0.1% of the trail where i have a agressive downhill (and I can always make the decision to get of the bike and just run down), vs 99.9% of the trail where such a aero position is beneficial. Also it's easier to climb with that position, and typically you spend more time climbing than descending

    BTW many 26" bikes have this type of difference between saddle/bars.

    Also - when you dig it into this subject this is what you will find (based on Schwalbe's website):

    "The air resistance rises in a squared ratio with increased speed. In a straight-line and at a speed of 20 km/h on level ground, air resistance has already become the main resistance force. In a straight-line and at a speed of 20 km / h on level ground, air resistance has already become the main resistance force."

  14. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertocq
    Thanks for the comments.

    The bike weights 26,5 lb (12,1kg) but its not finished yet, this week I'm gonna install a new XT 180mm crankset and 11-34 XT cassette and XT/SLX Bottom Bracket, so I'll save some weight. The seatpost is for testing too, and I have to cut it to save some more weight.

    My saddle is a Duopower Arrow (190 gr.)

    To know more about this ergonomic saddles the best option is read the users manual: http://www.duopower.com/uploads/documents/ENG.pdf For the lazy readers I would say that every biker I know that tried it, never went back to the "normal" saddles, even womens love it. Its a basic concept.. sit on your bones and not on your balls.

    Many bikers say that this saddles are ugly, but they say it too about 29ers... In spain we say that opiniones are like the ass, everone got one... but mine got no problem to sit down after a long mtb ride. The most suspicious bikers say that the pro's dont use them.. but is for legal reasons, because the UCI doesnt allow saddles that are so short, but referees doesnt take much attention to it here, at least in mtb races.
    Never seen such saddle before.... not available here where I live, and still too expensive to justify the purchase for a try .... Would be interesting to try... as I always liked to try new stuff Good luck with the upgrades !

  15. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bertocq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by maon
    Never seen such saddle before.... not available here where I live, and still too expensive to justify the purchase for a try .... Would be interesting to try... as I always liked to try new stuff Good luck with the upgrades !
    They started 4 years ago, so they are still growin, but the users feedback increased a lot the quality, with free replacements etc..

    The only online store I found:
    http://www.espaibici.com/catalogo/pr...dc=148_150_156
    http://www.espaibici.com/catalogo/pr...dc=148_152_159

    Hope in 2 or 3 years some american distributor will discover this saddles. They really worth it

  16. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    88

    rode the Dos for the first time yesterday...

    The bike came in about 2 weeks ago, but I had to wait for the new wheels to come in. Took her out for the first time yesterday...

    Stock build with the exception of the Wheelset (Stan's Arches, Hope Pro IIs, Super Comp Spokes).







    This is my first 29er, and my old bike is a 2002 Fisher Sugar 2.

    The bike climbes much better compared to the Sugar. I did not have to shift my gears as much as I usually do on the trail. Still getting used to cornering on a 29er.

    A couple of things I still have to figure out:
    1. My lower back hurt significant amount more towards the end of the ride compared to the old 26er set up, where I was in a much more aggresive position. One would think that on the 29er with the handlebars around the same height as the seat I would be more comfortable, but that was not the fact. I am going to lower the stem height by removing 1 or 2 of the spacers, but I am guessing this is going to be a trial and error exercise until the fit is just right.
    2. There was a lot more chain slap, and after some rough roots the chain fell off in the front. Didn't happen again, but I will monitor this.
    3. The stock handlebars are wide! (710 mm). Will be replacing these sometime soon most likely. Tree's do not taste good, and some of the trails I ride here in Charlotte are narrow.

    Overall, .

  17. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikewrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    442
    steevo
    why not cut the bars down? They have marked lines so that you can cut them down easily and evenly. Besides, it's free!
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

  18. #168
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by vtsteevo
    Still getting used to cornering on a 29er.

    ...

    1. My lower back hurt significant amount more towards the end of the ride compared to the old 26er set up, where I was in a much more aggresive position. One would think that on the 29er with the handlebars around the same height as the seat I would be more comfortable, but that was not the fact. I am going to lower the stem height by removing 1 or 2 of the spacers, but I am guessing this is going to be a trial and error exercise until the fit is just right. <snip>
    Moving spacers above the bar might help your back, and it'll almost certainly improve your cornering, too. Maybe your photo is a bit misleading, but it looks like you might be best off with all 3 spacers above the stem.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

  19. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    316
    Wanted to share this with folks - these bikes can be built really light without going weight-weenie on them. Throw some used parts into the mix and you can have a < 24lb bike for < $2400 - easy. The key is to use light wheels and tires - don't mess around - I rode one of these beauties with heavy stock build stuff on it - the front weighed 2200g ready-to-roll (rotor, tire, etc). It felt awful. My stans ztr 355 ready-to-roll was 1550g with stans, rotor, strip, valve, skewer, etc. I've been on a Yeti 575 < 27lbs for 5 years, and was not sure I'd like this. I put my time in on a mid-90's bontrager hardtail, and still ride it some, so I knew I'd get along OK. With the 29er, low tire pressure, and the softail running < 15psi in the Relish (I weight 150 with gear), this thing is awesome. I have over 300 miles on it - and am faster than the Yeti in nearly all conditions, even ridiculous technical stuff this thing rolls over what you can't get around. I notice at < 8mph I am clumsier with this bike, but still seem to pick through stuff. I don't feel as fast in strong headwinds/sidewinds either. However, It carves way better, rolls sand and loose way better, and of course lets you stand up and haul without heating up shock oil! I am racing Fruita's 18 hour, eRock 24 hour, and some others on it. I have previous lap times so have a good comparison and can post the differences.

    What would I do different? Although I sure enjoyed building this bike from parts, I'd Buy a new XT-equipped complete bike that are on sale on the web now for $1700. Then add the stans rims for $515, and $100 worth of lighter tires. For $2500 you'd have a 25.5lb bike, all brand new, and a spare set of wheels. Don't let them claim they are 25.1lbs plus pedals - I weighed a medium and it was 28.4 mostly due to the Salsa wheels and Prowler tires with tubes. There are some other heavier parts on them (stem, bars, cassette) as well.

    Here is a detailed build on my new (2009 frame/parts). Pardon the formatting, it was in a spreadsheet and didn't cut/paste well. First column is cost, second is lbs if that is what I measured in. Third is grams, must weights are grams. Next is description, last is the source if you need to source a part (except for my friends nick and greg!).

    cost+ship lbs grams description source
    frame 885 4.05 1838.7 small, w shock, seat collar universal cycles
    fork 400 3.8 1725.2 reba team dual air, after steerer cut bikebling
    headset 50 140 Cane-creek s-6 bikebling
    wheelset 500 1580 stans ztr 355 disc, skewers, tape notubes.com
    brakes/rotors 50 230 avid rotors pricepoint
    calipers/pads 80 460 bb7, pads/calipers no cables/pair jensen
    brake levers 20 120 avid jensen
    tires 70 1050 specialized fastrak LK 2.0 bicycle village
    stans sealant 0 160 per pair ??
    shifters 50 270 gripshift x9 with cables, housing jensen
    seatpost 10 180 Thompson, setback, cutdown. greg
    stem 0 160 ritchey stem spares
    bars 30 130 Easton carbon 25.5 clamp jensen
    grips 0 50 Cut down Yeti for gripshift greg
    cranks/rings 60 870 actual, from nick nick
    cassette 0 300 (website), price with cranks nick
    chain 0 300 (website), price with cranks nick
    pedals 0 270 actual, eggbeater sl's/pair spares
    seat 20 230 wtb rocket nick
    front derail 25 180 x7 front jensen
    rear derail 59 230 x9 rear jensen
    cables/housing 15 140 actual, precut was 220, this is postcut jensen

    Total $2324 23.38lbs 10613.9grams

    Total Bike ReadyToRide 23.47 on the same scale, all at once.

  20. #170
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    316
    Some pictures. Sorry for the crappy phone quality photos....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-weighttdr.jpg  

    Dos Niner Fan Club-snowtdr.jpg  


  21. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    117
    Do you know if the 80mm Reba 29 form being spec'd with the 2009 Dos Ninders being sold online has lockout? Here's one:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Mountain+Bike

  22. #172
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    316
    My 2009 Reba comes with a max compression feature - not a true lockout. The blue knob I can see on the top of the right side of the fork of the picture in the link you included shows the same feature. Go to the reviews on those Reba forks and check out what others have to say about it. I find it quite sufficient to stand up and have little or no bob in the fork, plus if you take a big hit the floodgate feature allows the shock to work.

    That XT bike in the photo is likely 27lbs with pedals, maybe more. I rode one that was 28.4 with those same wheels and close to the same build. Just a heads up on claimed weight! I'd consider it, but realize you have to buy some light wheels if you want the weight down near the 25lb mark. Nice to have the spare set though!

    jon

  23. #173
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by jnordby
    Go to the reviews on those Reba forks and check out what others have to say about it.
    Thanks. I've tried researching it but I can't tell for sure which fork it is. The ads refer to it as simply a RockShox Reba 29, 80mm, with no designation of Team, SL, etc. and all the forks review have that sort of designation.

  24. #174
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by NRRider
    Thanks. I've tried researching it but I can't tell for sure which fork it is. The ads refer to it as simply a RockShox Reba 29, 80mm, with no designation of Team, SL, etc. and all the forks review have that sort of designation.
    I think they all had a compression to "lock" feature, but I'd call and ask. I also wouldn't put too much stock in the description/photo, as they claim 25.7 lbs and those looks like maxel-lite drop outs to me. [In Cambria's defense, 25.7 is Salsa's number, and Cambria has "28 lbs" listed in their ad]. Although I would think with no pedals and tubes (not listed), 25.7 sounds in the ballpark for a small.

    If you can go medium, webcyclery is $400 cheaper. Amazing deal, and the wheelset can be used for "training."
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

  25. #175
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    88
    +1 on web cyclery. That's where I got mine. I got the 80mm Reba SL (black) with the "lock out" feature and a lock out lever on the handle bar and triggers the lock out.

    As far as the weight.. stock build size L that I got was 27.31 lbs (wigh 266g eggbeaters). Lightened it up already with Stans Arches/Hope Pro IIs, and now I am at 26.23. Need to swap out a few more things to get to 25...

  26. #176
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    192

    Dos is a winner

    Just wanted to let you Dos fans know this bike has some depth, I managed to win the AZT 300 on this bike, and set a new record. It was built with my own parts and not that light, about 27-28#'s. Sure do like the bike a lot and handled some rough terrain with bikepacking gear just fine. can see my set up at bikepacking.net. Dos Niner = Good stuff. Jefe

  27. #177
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by wookieone
    Just wanted to let you Dos fans know this bike has some depth, I managed to win the AZT 300 on this bike, and set a new record. It was built with my own parts and not that light, about 27-28#'s. Sure do like the bike a lot and handled some rough terrain with bikepacking gear just fine. can see my set up at bikepacking.net. Dos Niner = Good stuff. Jefe
    Impressive! Although I don't think the bike deserves all the credit.

    Congratulations.
    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

  28. #178
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    79
    Hi ppl,
    I just wanted to ask if anyone out there has some leftover Very Verdy Green touchup paint ,for my 07 Dos,that they can part with. My beloved Dos is getting pretty shabby looking as of late and thats a shame cause I just love that bike.If anyone can help me out hit me with a PM or even a mail Jwiz5000@aol.com

    Thanks in advance,
    James

  29. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    316
    An update - took this rig to moab - put some Geax Suarro's on it for a touch more volume and to not ruin the Specialized LK's for a race coming up. Keep in mind, I came off a Yeti 575 that I rode for 5+ years and swear by that bike.

    Amazing bike out there, and I'm not all beat up. Gold Bar from town to the Rim and back (kicked off by snow on the rim this last Thursday!) was perfect for this bike. Lots of send crossings, technical climbs, and drops. Porcupine from town worked well too, the dirt road of course, but the climb from Sand Flats to the rim was a bit bumpy - hard to sit and pedal. The ride down surprised me - I was faster and cleared more on this Salsa than my tried and true Yet 575 with 2.3's on it. Very stable, capable bike in the rough at speed - I weigh 155 with my gear, so I may not flex that frame like others. Rode Slick Rock Saturday early, and although this bike is faster in there if you are trying to get around, I found the seated pedaling on that rough was not as fun as a full sus set to take the small and mid-bumps out. The Yeti would be more fun in that case, but slower. I am riding that Salsa at 5psi tops, and bottoming it out to try to keep it as comfy as possible.

    ps those Geax 2.2 Suarro's are hard rubber long lasting tires, but are not grippy - even on slick rock at 22psi tubeless - and are tough on hardpack with a bit of loose over it. They roll extremely well though, and will last forever. These are the $35 Performance 2010 models, other years may vary, but they are extremely hard rubber tires.

    thanks, jon

  30. #180
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    894
    New to me, but not this forum! 24 lbs. 7 oz. as it sits

    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  31. #181
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,516

    Adios and Hola Dos Niner....!

    My old green 2006 frame snapped at the rear dropout weld on a training ride a couple of weeks ago....

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4560714410/" title="Addios Dos! by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/4560714410_34501d9cd1_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="Addios Dos!" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4560714610/" title="Bye-bye! by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/4560714610_b563ed8bd2_b.jpg" width="768" height="1024" alt="Bye-bye!" /></a>

    Thanks to my LBS and the wonderful boys at Salsa, I was able to land a crash replacement new frame that arrived on Friday. So I went from this....

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4467860008/" title="Dos profile too by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4467860008_0e3f5d437a_b.jpg" width="1024" height="635" alt="Dos profile too" /></a>

    To this...

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4590226299/" title="Dos Niner in Raw by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4590226299_8844c40015_b.jpg" width="1024" height="695" alt="Dos Niner in Raw" /></a>

    Long live the Dos and kudos to Salsa (and my LBS)!!!!

  32. #182
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AK47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,063
    I have a 2006 Dos as well, and from the photos it looks like the new frame design has been beefed up in that area?

  33. #183
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47
    I have a 2006 Dos as well, and from the photos it looks like the new frame design has been beefed up in that area?
    Yes, there is a little more beef there in the welded joint.

    Based on my race yesterday, I can say - like others have said - that the frame is not as "flexy" as the 2006 model. It's not that you notice the stiffer frame, it's just that you don't feel the flex like you did with the 2006 frame. Not sure if that makes sense, but I know what I'm trying to say....

    The only really weird thing was the cable routing plastic piece under the bottom bracket. Neither side of it seems to want to work with my routing and Dura Ace front derailleur. So I'm going to move the plastic piece I saved from the 2006 model onto the new frame.

    BB

  34. #184
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    ....
    Long live the Dos and kudos to Salsa (and my LBS)!!!!
    Congrats and welcome to the "silver" world !

  35. #185
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    88
    Can anyone recommend a shock pump to dial in the relish shock in the back? The dial on the one that I have is in increments of 20, which makes it tough when I am trying to dial it in between 15 and 20 psi!

  36. #186
    i heart singletrack
    Reputation: mgersib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,551
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown

    Long live the Dos and kudos to Salsa (and my LBS)!!!!
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Congratulations on the new ride, Bruce and thanks for being a loyal Salsa customer. That green Dos frame was a good partner on a lot of your adventures and I can't wait to see where this new silver Dos takes you.

    Looking forward to riding with you soon, my friend.

    Cheers,
    MG

  37. #187
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,516
    Quote Originally Posted by mgersib
    Couldn't have said it better myself. Congratulations on the new ride, Bruce and thanks for being a loyal Salsa customer. That green Dos frame was a good partner on a lot of your adventures and I can't wait to see where this new silver Dos takes you.

    Looking forward to riding with you soon, my friend.

    Cheers,
    MG
    Thanks, Matt. I'm looking forward to many miles on this new frame. See you soon at some race somewhere....

  38. #188
    "Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Reputation: kkjellquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    657
    Adding my name to the fan club! Grabbed an 09 at a great price to replace my Niner MCR. The Niner is a killer frame but didn't quite fit right, and the deal I got on the Dos was too good to pass up. I'll post pics soon.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

  39. #189
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    I've raced the Dos Niner in 18 races so far all over the South. The components have changed, it's now a a pure race bike with my gaining confidence. It started out more as a light all-mountain setup. It also has a couple of dents now

    The bike is down to 23.2 pounds, size XL, long and lean like yours truly, ready for more abuse. We're about to do three races in three weeks so we'd better be.

    I still would like to try a friend's size L for the shorter top tube (with a longer stem), to try and get faster in the tight and twisties. Cornering has improved with a shorter travel fork, flipped stem, smaller tires, and hopefully some skills picked up along the way.


  40. #190
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    37

    Good job! Nice Ride

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    My old green 2006 frame snapped at the rear dropout weld on a training ride a couple of weeks ago....

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4560714410/" title="Addios Dos! by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/4560714410_34501d9cd1_b.jpg" width="1024" height="768" alt="Addios Dos!" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4560714610/" title="Bye-bye! by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3482/4560714610_b563ed8bd2_b.jpg" width="768" height="1024" alt="Bye-bye!" /></a>

    Thanks to my LBS and the wonderful boys at Salsa, I was able to land a crash replacement new frame that arrived on Friday. So I went from this....

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4467860008/" title="Dos profile too by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4056/4467860008_0e3f5d437a_b.jpg" width="1024" height="635" alt="Dos profile too" /></a>

    To this...

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/7166535@N05/4590226299/" title="Dos Niner in Raw by singingsingletracker, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4590226299_8844c40015_b.jpg" width="1024" height="695" alt="Dos Niner in Raw" /></a>

    Long live the Dos and kudos to Salsa (and my LBS)!!!!
    Nice looking ride Bruce. I love my XL Dos we discussed a few months back. I would have been curious to ride the 2006 since you say it was flexier. Although, my new XL is plenty flexy for my taste. Enjoy your ride. I love that silver!!!

  41. #191
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    697
    I have been waiting since November of 2009 to be able to post these. Other than grips, and the final wheelset (Flows laced to 240S hubs), my Dos Niner is *FINALLY* complete. Break in race is going to be the Cheq 100 next weekend It may not be fast, but at least it will be pretty.

    Dos Niner Frame
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Salsa Promoto carbon flat bar w 5 deg bend
    Salsa Promoto TI stem
    SRAM X0 trigger shifters
    SRAM X0 rear derailer
    SRAM X9 front derailer
    Reba Race SL 80mm fork w remote lockout
    Truvativ Noir crankset
    Avid CR Mag brakes
    SRAM PG990 cassette
    Salsa Shaft seatpost
    Specialized Henge saddle
    Ergon GX2 grips

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenbiking/4605385794/" title="IMG_1242 by S.Fuller, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/4605385794_701c685f2e_b.jpg" width="1024" height="607" alt="IMG_1242" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenbiking/4605385596/" title="IMG_1244 by S.Fuller, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4605385596_d459172ceb_b.jpg" width="1024" height="552" alt="IMG_1244" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenbiking/4604772207/" title="IMG_1243 by S.Fuller, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1263/4604772207_0bbb4e51d5_b.jpg" width="768" height="1024" alt="IMG_1243" /></a>

  42. #192
    Space Ghost
    Reputation: Coach417's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by sfuller
    I have been waiting since November of 2009 to be able to post these. Other than grips, and the final wheelset (Flows laced to 240S hubs), my Dos Niner is *FINALLY* complete. Break in race is going to be the Cheq 100 next weekend It may not be fast, but at least it will be pretty.

    Dos Niner Frame
    Cane Creek 110 headset
    Salsa Promoto carbon flat bar w 5 deg bend
    Salsa Promoto TI stem
    SRAM X0 trigger shifters
    SRAM X0 rear derailer
    SRAM X9 front derailer
    Reba Race SL 80mm fork w remote lockout
    Truvativ Noir crankset
    Avid CR Mag brakes
    SRAM PG990 cassette
    Salsa Shaft seatpost
    Specialized Henge saddle
    Ergon GX2 grips

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenbiking/4605385794/" title="IMG_1242 by S.Fuller, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3368/4605385794_701c685f2e_b.jpg" width="1024" height="607" alt="IMG_1242" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenbiking/4605385596/" title="IMG_1244 by S.Fuller, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4021/4605385596_d459172ceb_b.jpg" width="1024" height="552" alt="IMG_1244" /></a>

    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/zenbiking/4604772207/" title="IMG_1243 by S.Fuller, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1263/4604772207_0bbb4e51d5_b.jpg" width="768" height="1024" alt="IMG_1243" /></a>

    Beautiful build! WOW, love the orange throughout. Great job.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

  43. #193
    EXORCIZE
    Reputation: Ryder1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,681
    Nice!

    Might you be tempted by these?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-crank-bros.jpg  

    2016 Pivot Mach 429 Trail
    2011 Kona Unit

  44. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    697
    Ooooh. Shiny bits!!!!

  45. #195
    Always Learning
    Reputation: BruceBrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,516
    Steve - That's a sweet looking bowl of Salsa. Well done!

  46. #196
    "Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    Reputation: kkjellquist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    657
    Rode my new 09 Dos for the first time last night. Coming off a Niner MCR.

    WOW! It climbs about the same as the Niner, but that lil bit of cush in the rear makes such a hug difference on the bumps and descending! I am absolutely faster descending on this bike. It's pretty much everything I expected and a bit more.

    Just the frame switch shave a lb+ of the overall bike. Feels light. Going to be adding ghetto tubeless, gripshifts, 990 cass, and maybe some brakes to lighten up and tweak it a tad.

    Current build;
    09 M Dos Niner
    08 Reba SL
    Chris King/Mavic TN719 Wheels (Gold)
    Chris King HS (Gold)
    X0 RD
    XTR FD
    Truvativ Stylo Cranks
    X0 Shifters
    Juicy 7 Brakes
    Thomson Stem & SP
    Easton Monkeylite Bar

    FWIW I found this frame new for $399 + shipping. If anyone is interested knowing where, PM me and I'll give you the link. They have no Large, not sure about other sizes. I am not affiliated with the shop.
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

  47. #197
    Hud
    Hud is offline
    Singletrack minded
    Reputation: Hud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,949
    Congrats on the orange build above, looks sweet! Big regret fro me in life is npt getting one of them while they were available.
    The twenty-nine inch wheel.

  48. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    697
    Quote Originally Posted by Hud
    Congrats on the orange build above, looks sweet! Big regret fro me in life is npt getting one of them while they were available.
    I got lucky when I found this one in my size. I could have worked with silver too, but this matches my La Cruz a lot better. The bike treated me pretty well during this weekend's Cheq 100. My first bike with suspension on it, so I spent a good portion of the event just getting used to how the bike and fork felt when in use.

  49. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    316
    An update on my Dos Niner experience - I did a couple races with it and really got along with it well. Hard to beat as a cross country racer. Did 18 hours of Fruita solo, nice bike for that course. A new section was pretty bumpy - the softail really helped through there as the hardtail guys were standing and pedaling SS style, I could ride on the seat for some of it and conserve when I needed to. That course is really winding and rolling around a small reservoir, really brings out the carving ability in these bikes. 5th out of 10, and on the same lap as 3rd and 4th (though 3rd coulda kept going at least 1 more!). Raced a sprinty 1.5 hour xc race in Colorado Springs too, perfect for that as well, some bumps and drops and a lot of rolls in the course (1700' of rolls!), and it was nice to ride there, 3rd/22 in the sport men 40-49 class.

    The interesting data I have is the "insurance ride", a ride I take up a steep climb near the house. Out of 25 previous attempts over 4 years on a <27lb Yeti 575, I beat it first try on this < 24lb Salsa riding the same 1 hour 15min that I always do. By 4/10ths of a mile! This is a 1st and 2nd gear climb, very steep gravel fireroad out of Palmer Lake, CO. And I am not in climbing shape, I am in fruita 18 hour endurance shape, so there is more there. Not apples to apples due to the bike weight at least, but stil interesting to see that 29ers can go up super steep 4mph climbs just fine and quite fast.

    jon

  50. #200
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    Made some changes to my Dos Niner to get it more responsive.

    I replaced the Racing Ralphs with Kenda Karmas and installed a 120mm -5deg stem. The longer stem balanced my weight over the bike better and stretched me out in a way I like. On descents I have to take an aggressive stance and there's actually risk that I'll endo now, but I feel much more in control of the bike overall. Cornering is more confident with more weight on the front wheel.

    It seems like balancing over the tires is more important than tread now, so I'll probably switch to some Bontranger Fast Trak LT 2Bliss tires I picked up cheap after this weekend's race. The handling is more nimble and the bike is about 23.5 pounds, size XL.

    I tried to put back a Selle Italia SLR saddle but it was just too brutal for me, totally killed my back. I have the Trans Am XO Special Edition and I'm looking to get the Flite XC Gel (I prefer a taint hole ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dos Niner Fan Club-tars.jpg  

    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 05-28-2010 at 05:16 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •