Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 290
  1. #51
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    I can report that a Kenda Nevegal 2.2 fits just fine with no rub. My new rear hub died recently and is being warrantied for new pawls (beware American Classic?). So I've got the rear wheel of my piggish backup wheelset on now.

    It had been reported that the tread width of a 2.2 Nevegal was nearly that of a Racing Ralph 2.4. It appears to me to be noticeably smaller, and of course the casing is smaller..

    No real downside to shaving the 2.4s, if you love big casing volume, other than the hassle.

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I mounted a RR 2.25, which is really actually a 2.15" tread width and 2.1 in casing. Again it solved the problems without needing to degrade the edge knobs of a perfectly good tire, which is going back onto my GT Peace (which is now a loaner bike). The RR 2.25 was harder to seat tubeless though, had to use my compressor instead of the floor pump as with the 2.4. If I'd known ahead of time though that the Evo casing 2.25 was skinnier than claimed, I might have shaved the knobs anyway. I hate giving up casing volume.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 08-27-2009 at 11:55 AM.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CaptainCalf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44
    I'm looking to join you fellas cuz you're havin way too much fun...

    I've been doing all my racing on my all mountain Titus Switchblade Talus, which has to be around 28 lbs, so I'm looking forward to seeing what this baby will do in a 12 hour race!

    I'll post up some pics when I find the frame...RC
    09 Salsa Mamasita
    09 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    Honda VTR1000 Superhawk
    Stone's Arrogant Bastard on tap

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    211

    Decisions, decision?

    Ok guys, the more I read/study, the more I like the Dos Niner........
    I should have enough parts lying around to build up the Salsa (sans 80mm fork), but I've got a rigid salsa cromoto 29er fork that needs to be put to good use. Do I get the Dos Niner and build up (temporarily) with the rigid (most likely as a SS) until I can convince/bribe the CFO of the house of a 80mm fork (suggestions?) at a later date,or would I be better off with the Mariachi? Any advice would be humbly appreciated

  4. #54
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    What's amusing to me is that the 2007 DosNiner frame was listed as having clearance for 2.5" wide tires. I wonder if they re-did the chainstays on the frame in the last couple model years and took away tire clearance in the process.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  5. #55
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    While I agree with you that the buoyancy of Racing Ralph 2.4s mates very well with this frame, I can't find any evidence that Salsa spec'ed tires that wide on this bike. All I've ever seen officially is 2.3", although plenty of online stores get it incorrect. I remember reading that, especially in the smaller sizes, the first-edition Dos Niners didn't really even support 2.3s

    2007: http://www.salsacycles.com/dosniner.html
    2008: http://www.salsacycles.com/archive/dosniner08.html
    2009: http://www.salsacycles.com/dosniner09.html

    Most 2.5s tend towards All-Mountain with a beefy tread, which is probably beyond what most riders would want this bike for. It might be Big Mama time for you

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    What's amusing to me is that the 2007 DosNiner frame was listed as having clearance for 2.5" wide tires. I wonder if they re-did the chainstays on the frame in the last couple model years and took away tire clearance in the process.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    7

    Has anyone tried the Dos as a Single speed????

    I want to make the jump from 26 to 29er mostly due to my height/inseam and ill fitted bikes. Currently I'm enjoying the less maintenance of riding SS but with my 26er I use a Thudbuster. Would a 29er dos SS be comparable to running the Thudbuster on a 26er hardtail?

  7. #57
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    Unless they based it off the WTB 2.55s which are really 2.3s.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  8. #58
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    I know a SS rigid rider who's got a Dos Niner, although he doesn't ride it often. I used a Rock Shox suspension post years ago. I can only make a comparison to that product, and my feeling was that a suspension seatpost bobs with every pedal stroke. A Dos Niner softtail doesn't do that noticably if you've got the right pressure set up.

    Quote Originally Posted by TaylorMade
    I want to make the jump from 26 to 29er mostly due to my height/inseam and ill fitted bikes. Currently I'm enjoying the less maintenance of riding SS but with my 26er I use a Thudbuster. Would a 29er dos SS be comparable to running the Thudbuster on a 26er hardtail?

  9. #59
    just ride
    Reputation: chequamagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    What's amusing to me is that the 2007 DosNiner frame was listed as having clearance for 2.5" wide tires. I wonder if they re-did the chainstays on the frame in the last couple model years and took away tire clearance in the process.
    That seems to be an incorrect clearance..... The earlier models (light green) had tire clearance for maybe around a 2.1, and subsequent models were improved to get better tire clearance. The current silver one we rate as having clearance for up to a 2.3.

    Ride and Smile,
    Tim, Salsa Cycles
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

  10. #60
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    hey, i'm quoting your former canadian distributor who's going off the literature Salsa provided him at the time. I just got a pair of 2007 Las Cruces framesets brand new for $880USD w/shipping. I almost got the last DosNiner he had listed but for the fact none of your 16" 29ers actually have much in the way of standover room for people who actually need 16" frames.

    This is what he's listing as specs...

    Dos Niner Orange

    Disc and canti compatible.

    Salsa scandium size-specific, custom drawn tubeset with Salsa Relish Air rear shock

    ISO 51mm disc mounts

    Fits up to a 29 x 2.5" tire

    Seatpost clamp: 30.6mm (Salsa Flip-Lock included)

    Frame weight: 4.1 lbs. 18" with Relish Air shock


    Geometry sheet available upon request.
    Color: Orange
    Seatpost Diameter: 27.2 mm
    Headset Type: 1-1/8" Standard Cups
    Fork Travel: 75 - 85 mm
    Front Derailleur Style: Traditional/Topswing
    Front Derailleur Cable Pull: Bottom
    Front Derailleur Clamp: 35.0mm (1-3/8")
    Mount Type: BB Cup Mount
    BB Thread Type: English
    BB Shell Width: 68 mm
    Disc Mount Type: 51mm I.S. Rear
    Brake Type: Disc/Linear Pull - Canti
    Brake Usage F/R: Rear
    Material: Scandium
    Wheel Mount Center Offset: 0 mm
    Rear Axle Type: 10x1
    Rear Hub Spacing: 135 mm
    Wheel Size: 700c
    Weight: 1,859.0 g
    Last edited by DeeEight; 08-31-2009 at 09:49 AM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  11. #61
    just ride
    Reputation: chequamagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,919
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Dos Niner Orange

    Disc and canti compatible.

    Salsa scandium size-specific, custom drawn tubeset with Salsa Relish Air rear shock

    ISO 51mm disc mounts

    Fits up to a 29 x 2.5" tire

    Seatpost clamp: 30.6mm (Salsa Flip-Lock included)

    Frame weight: 4.1 lbs. 18" with Relish Air shock
    Ah, yes, definetely an error in some communication, as the orange frame never had V brake mounts either. Like you said before, maybe the 2.5 they were thinking was the WeirWolf LT........

    Ride and Smile,
    Tim, Salsa Cycles
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

  12. #62
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    Yeah I measured a set of those weirwolfs on a el-m, they weren't even 2.4s mounted on the delgardo rims. The Continental Mountain King 2.4 is however 2.4 at the tread, and 2.1 in casing, mounted on ZTR Arch's. Shop I got my dos thru is building up an 18" dos as a 'rental / demo' bike and was originally planning the 2.4 tire for the rear till i pointed out the lack of paint on my chainstay issue (I switched to the RR 2.25 before it polished/grooved the stays).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  13. #63
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    One comment after a ride lastnight with a LOT of pedal whacks... the BB height needs to be higher... the selma is 3mm higher and it doesn't lower its BB as the rear end travels upwards 1"...
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  14. #64
    just ride
    Reputation: chequamagon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,919

    Thanks Dos Fans!

    Thanks for all the good words and pictures Dos Niner fans!!! It has been one of our iconic models for our brand.

    Tell me, what is it that attracted you to the Dos? The nice light weight? The simplicity? Or its stunning good looks?

    Tell me your story, I am interested to hear from you.

    Ride and Smile,
    Tim, Bike and Frame Product Manager, Salsa Cycles
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

  15. #65
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    New saddle, I liked the ideas of matching white from the previous posters. Also new 100mm carbon stem. 70mm was what I had initially and felt very confident on some super steep descents, but I couldn't weight the front wheel enough to rail corners. Also switched to 2x8 with a 36t ring.

    Although it's twice the weight, the Selle Italia XO Trans Am Ltd Edition is much better for all day rides than the SLR. I hope to move into endurance racing next year.



    To answer chequamagon, this is my first 29er. I was set to buy a full-suspension bike but I made a last-minute decision that the weight was too much with the current crop. I couldn't bring myself to go hardtail since I tend to get a sore back. The Dos Niner is extremely lightweight for a 29er with rear suspension and I'm just loving it. A 2" model would completely rock but the simplicity of the pivotless all-scandium design would be hard to forgo.

    As mentioned above I ride 185mm cranks and BB height might help a bit with pedal strikes but I can recall only one trail where that was a problem. It had whoopy ups with lips on them due to red clay erosion. If I didn't get enough momentum I'd have to crank it at the top and sometimes dab a crank. Not really a big deal and I'd rather have the low center of gravity the rest of the ride.

    I love the "all tatted up" look of the Dos Niner graphics; silver is a little more mature than the hot orange, although it is exciting-looking. I understand that scandium has paint flaking problems which is why the current color was chosen?
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 09-09-2009 at 05:41 PM.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    693
    I'm sitting here, thinking about how I'm going to build my Dos up over the winter. For some reason, it's begging to be set up for gravel grinders w drop bars and a 2x9. Guess I'm sick in that way...

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    284
    Wow, I have to admit the silver and white color combos are making me want a Dos really bad.

    I was hoping someone could give me some thoughts on what size frmae and what travel fork - I am 6'4 with a 37 in-seam and would use the bike as an XC race bike.

    I am thinking the XL frame size and an 80 mm reba team? I like the idea of having a 25 inch top tube so the XL seems ideal.

    Also, for the taller riders (you will understand this question better) I have yet to find a bike that I do not feel like I am sitting on top of - I am looking for a bike that will feel like I am actually sitting inside the cockpit. If this makes sense do taller Dos riders feel that you are actually inside the cockpit instead of perched high atop it?

    How does the bike handle and how does the center of gravity feel?

  18. #68
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    Well last night's ride, same trail where I discovered the lack of BB height... three of us on 29ers (niner air-9, niner jet-9, my dos niner) and the fourth on 26" fully, and everyone on 29 inch wheels smacked pedals, so maybe its not simply the dos with the low BB height. It seems to be a problem common to the genre. Designers over-lowering the BB heights to make up for the taller wheels. The guy who had a 26er has said he's experienced the same problem on that trail riding his partner's Karate Monkey.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  19. #69
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    You and I must be the same size. I ride an XL. There is plenty of space between my knees and the handlebar in that size. The bike feels very stable to me. If you have the chance you could try a size L if you like it flickable, but the XL feels very good, very much in control.

    I'm a little sluggish in tight turns with the big bike frame and 100mm fork, but on low speed technical stuff, my balance is much better on the big bike, so dabs are much less frequent.

    I don't know if this will be your first 29er or not, but if you're riding 26" currently, a 29er is a must-have for tall guys. The feeling of teetering above the wheels is greatly, greatly reduced.

    If a Dos won't be your first 29er, I don't know what to tell you other than I understand. Regardless of the bike, the optimum saddle height will be the same. I'm just working really hard to rail corners better but the lil' problem with endos I had on my 26" FS bike is gone

    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    Wow, I have to admit the silver and white color combos are making me want a Dos really bad.

    I was hoping someone could give me some thoughts on what size frmae and what travel fork - I am 6'4 with a 37 in-seam and would use the bike as an XC race bike.

    I am thinking the XL frame size and an 80 mm reba team? I like the idea of having a 25 inch top tube so the XL seems ideal.

    Also, for the taller riders (you will understand this question better) I have yet to find a bike that I do not feel like I am sitting on top of - I am looking for a bike that will feel like I am actually sitting inside the cockpit. If this makes sense do taller Dos riders feel that you are actually inside the cockpit instead of perched high atop it?

    How does the bike handle and how does the center of gravity feel?

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    You and I must be the same size. I ride an XL. There is plenty of space between my knees and the handlebar in that size. The bike feels very stable to me. If you have the chance you could try a size L if you like it flickable, but the XL feels very good, very much in control.

    I'm a little sluggish in tight turns with the big bike frame and 100mm fork, but on low speed technical stuff, my balance is much better on the big bike, so dabs are much less frequent.

    I don't know if this will be your first 29er or not, but if you're riding 26" currently, a 29er is a must-have for tall guys. The feeling of teetering above the wheels is greatly, greatly reduced.

    If a Dos won't be your first 29er, I don't know what to tell you other than I understand. Regardless of the bike, the optimum saddle height will be the same. I'm just working really hard to rail corners better but the lil' problem with endos I had on my 26" FS bike is gone
    THis will be my first 29er - I currently ride 26 FS which I enjoy. BUt I have always felt that I am to big for all of my bikes and that I am teetering on top as opposed to sitting in the bike. I am looking at a three 29ers currently including the Dos Niner, the Niner Air9 and the Cannondale Flash 29er 1 Alloy. I kind of like the idea of just getting a frame and building my own bike.

    How noticeable is the softtail on the Dos Niner - I am concerned about going back to a hardtail and think that a softtail might really take the edge off. BUT at the same time I want the pedaling efficienct of a hardtail and am concerned that the Dos might bob a little.

  21. #71
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    I've yet to notice it without actually looking at the shock. Course it was trial and error to hit the pressure setting right. I wish my shock pump's gauge was digital but best guess is 31psi.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  22. #72
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    The Dos Niner's Relish combined with the bigger wheels gives it a "virtual travel" feeling of a 3" 26er. The progressive feeling of the scandium stays is very healthy; bottoming out is something you don't feel. Bob is easily alleviated with the right pressure settings; I'm at about 20psi now and I weigh 180lbs; that's on the plush side.

    If I were getting the Flash 29er I'd go for carbon but that's just me. Don't forget to get you some light wheels, something in the <1800 gram range, preferably running tubeless. It'll make a big difference in how the new bike treats you.


    Quote Originally Posted by XC23
    THis will be my first 29er - I currently ride 26 FS which I enjoy. BUt I have always felt that I am to big for all of my bikes and that I am teetering on top as opposed to sitting in the bike. I am looking at a three 29ers currently including the Dos Niner, the Niner Air9 and the Cannondale Flash 29er 1 Alloy. I kind of like the idea of just getting a frame and building my own bike.

    How noticeable is the softtail on the Dos Niner - I am concerned about going back to a hardtail and think that a softtail might really take the edge off. BUT at the same time I want the pedaling efficienct of a hardtail and am concerned that the Dos might bob a little.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Well last night's ride, same trail where I discovered the lack of BB height... three of us on 29ers (niner air-9, niner jet-9, my dos niner) and the fourth on 26" fully, and everyone on 29 inch wheels smacked pedals, so maybe its not simply the dos with the low BB height. It seems to be a problem common to the genre. Designers over-lowering the BB heights to make up for the taller wheels. The guy who had a 26er has said he's experienced the same problem on that trail riding his partner's Karate Monkey.
    I had that problem with my Dos Niner until I reworked my fork to 100mm. I'll never go back. I don't know why 80mm is spec'ed. Handling and clearance both seem better with 100mm.

    DR

  24. #74
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,578
    I'm already running my fork at 100mm though and its pedal strike prone. Another 20mm of fork travel only lifts the BB about 5mm higher.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  25. #75
    likes to ride bikes
    Reputation: TunicaTrails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    893
    My road/cross bike is in the shop, so I just rode my Dos Niner on a 78 mile road ride!

    The pace wasn't killer, about 17mph but through the hills. I pumped up the tubeless tires to 50psi and locked out the front and rear. The big 2.4s performed as well as could be expected.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •