Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    No weight yet...I haven't picked it up from the shop. Will post the weight and a ride report as soon as I get the chance.

My bad....Looks like you are looking for the weight on the previous post.
    Last edited by cchan999; 07-19-2009 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the club, guys. Still lovin' mine:
    I've got a Reba Race on it now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

No longer 26
    D8,
    At what travel are you going to run your fork on your Dos?

Roscoe, I think a frame size that allows a stem length from 90-110 is just about perfect. Shorter or longer seems to me to say go to the next size up/down in frame size. Also, keep in mind that the longer the travel used on the fork, the shorter the effective top tube becomes given the same (your own preferred) saddle postion relative to bb.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cchan999
    2009 Dos in size midget. Many thanks to Velomech in Boise!

Your bike looks great! Do you have any more photos from different angles? Would like to see them. I'm currently riding a Mamasita but I am thinking of going back to a Dos. It's just ideal for about every XC situation.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The 09s have the increased offset so I'm going to run it in the stock 100mm travel mode. I got my frame yesterday, today I'll build it.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

I can finally join the club...

I just got my frame in about 30 minutes ago. Its an '07 I got off ebay, you probably saw it there. I'm waiting on a Reba, Cane Creek 110, and some bling to come in in the next week or so, then I'll get to building. Can't wait!

I'm slowly assembling mine. I realized after I got the crankset installed and stepped back to look at it again, that I despise how they did the cable housing stops on the toptube for the brake cable. An open loop ? Really? How cheap. With no way to position a zip-tie or clip to hold the housing in place cleanly.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    must be a mid-year change. mine has the standard brake hose mounts (for zip ties or clips).

Not a change for the better IMHO.

Just built mine yesterday and have already experienced the most severe chainsuck EVER in twenty years of mountain biking and probably a hundred different bikes. I've never had it take ten mins to extract the chain before. Also the remote lockout on my Reba broke (while locked) and I had to pop the cable out to get the thing to open again while on the ride. I'll post it into my own thread later today when I have more time but for now, 25.2 pounds as pictured (but since I've yanked the remote lockout, its down to a couple ounces already), Large size, and those are also the 2.4 RRs. I will say to the OP, I'm getting tire lug buzzing noises under power... how about you? I'm thinking of switching to the 2.25 in the back at least.

Space Ghost
    DeeEight...I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Dos overall. Expectations and reality kind of thing. I am acquiring parts to build up a HT (or softtail) and the Dos is near the top. Thanks.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

I expected a better ride (then again I was coming from fully rigid chromoly) than my GT Peace 9R and a good weight reduction at the same time. I achieved that. Hell the frame alone was lighter by more than the suspension fork was heavier. There IS some frame flex laterally in the rear end though, which has resulted in buzzing the RR 2.4 (granted they only claim clearance for up to a 2.3 in the specs) against the inside of the stays whenever I lean the bike and the softtail suspension cycles (which means really, ALL the time when powering up a hill or sprinting). You certainly don't want to run the same tire if you're not gonna keep up on wheel trueness, there's no margin for error with a warped rim here.

So far i'm enjoying it otherwise but I need to find my sweet spot in body position on it still. It certainly steers better than I expected but that could be the new Reba's increased fork offset. A few times yesterday on an XC course that's of World Cup level I found myself having to negotiate some really tight switchbacks and it was necessary to go to the outside a bit more than I usually do on say, my Beasley, but I never really found myself falling off the track into the trees. It does afterall also have the longest wheelbase of any of my bikes, even longer (by about 20mm) than the GT. I'm also still trying to find the perfect tire pressure for sealant tubeless. I ran 23F/25R yesterday and got some rather loud noises smacking rocks, but no burping fortunetly.

likes to ride bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    I will say to the OP, I'm getting tire lug buzzing noises under power... how about you? I'm thinking of switching to the 2.25 in the back at least.
    You're right, the Racing Ralph 2.4s are not a good match for the rear of a Dos Niner. I asked my LBS to order them, realized my error, and tried to change to a 2.2 rear after they'd already been ordered, but I just went with them when they came in. Under most conditions I think they give a luxurious ride, the buoyancy works well with the softtail frame.

It hasn't been a big problem for me at 180lbs and 30 psi, but I have considered trimming the knobs.

I was going to attribute the rub as much to flex of the tire casing instead of the rear triangle, but I could be wrong. Dos Niner frames apparently support bigger tires than they used to, but the RR 2.4 is just a really big tire. It's considerably bigger than a WTB Werewolf LT 2.55:
    http://mtbtires.com/site2/tech/38-ge...dth-comparison

It spins fine in the stand or upright on pavement... take it off-pavement (so the softtail starts flexing) or lean the bike and bzzzzzzzzzz goes the side knobs. Its not as bad as my Peace did before I aligned its dropouts but still... annoying (especially since the peace clears them fine). More so since the beads sealed fine and tight with the stans sealant and now I have to break it free and setup a different (smaller) tire.

mtbr member

Rockin' an 05

Have had this frame for quite a while and it is still kickin' it. Yes, the tire clearance was tight on the original frames, but I haven't had an issue in the AZ dry dirt.

Agree, this is the perfect XC race machine, especially on a 24 hr. course.

Go make a difference
    Here's mine suited up for winter riding in Pisgah National Forest, NC. Love love love it! Have been on one since '07 and have done several enduro races on it. I've been training for a hundy that's this weekend on my SS WaltWorks and got on my Dos Tuesday night for a ride and it felt like a little speed racer! Can't wait for Saturday!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

likes to ride bikes
    OK I trimmed my rear knobs last night in preparation for a race that might be muddy, problem solved. Good thing I did, because the beginnings of an indentation had occurred on my left chainstay. I used an angle grinder, what a mess of powdered rubber. I had a new Kenda Nevegal 2.2 that I could have put on, but its large knobs make the tread width just about the same as the RR 2.4s. http://mtbtires.com/site2/tech/38-ge...dth-comparison

Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    It spins fine in the stand or upright on pavement... take it off-pavement (so the softtail starts flexing) or lean the bike and bzzzzzzzzzz goes the side knobs. Its not as bad as my Peace did before I aligned its dropouts but still... annoying (especially since the peace clears them fine). More so since the beads sealed fine and tight with the stans sealant and now I have to break it free and setup a different (smaller) tire.
    Last edited by TunicaTrails; 08-14-2009 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by newking
    wow, that first bike in the tread looks just like mine! Here is my 09 Dos 1x9 with 2010 Reba Race 120mm fork and some other goodies. Was not sure about the white / silver but it has grown on me.
    That bike looks great!! How's the bike handle with 120mm up front?

mtbr member
    Here's my '06 that I build up in February of that year. Seems like it was only yesterday. Changes from these pictures include flipping the stem over and a cushier saddle.

I've actually be thinking about selling it and getting something with more travel, then I come read other's enthusiasm for the Dos and I start to waver.

Have there been any changes to the Dos other than the color in it's lifetime? Sounds like they gave it more tire clearance at one point?

Build highlights:
    180mm cranks
    Marta SL brakes
    Easton carbon post
    Mikesee built DT240/Delgado Disc wheels with his signature "puke" spoke nipple color scheme

If I remember correctly, this build is right about 25.6 lbs.

Cheers!
    -Ian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    Have there been any changes to the Dos other than the color in it's lifetime? Sounds like they gave it more tire clearance at one point?
    Nevermind. I found the thread that talks about the year to year differences.

LINKY for those with the same question I had.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    My apologies for the reposting of pictures. I'd completely forgotten I made a complete thread for my dos when I first got it.

likes to ride bikes
    No problem

I virtually locked out the rear shock at a race recently by putting 55psi in it and realized how much I missed it by the end of the race. It helps my back so much on all the little things like roots and rollers.

Quote Originally Posted by goneskiian
    My apologies for the reposting of pictures. I'd completely forgotten I made a complete thread for my dos when I first got it.

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Do you have that reba set at 80mm? I think mine is at 100mm but not completely sure as I bought it used. Don't sell it, you'll regret it later!

Harmonius Wrench
    Here's mine. Love the bike with the right parts. Get too many flexy bits on there and it goes in two different directions at once.

Still tweaking mine out. It's a work in progress.

I mounted a RR 2.25, which is really actually a 2.15" tread width and 2.1 in casing. Again it solved the problems without needing to degrade the edge knobs of a perfectly good tire, which is going back onto my GT Peace (which is now a loaner bike). The RR 2.25 was harder to seat tubeless though, had to use my compressor instead of the floor pump as with the 2.4. If I'd known ahead of time though that the Evo casing 2.25 was skinnier than claimed, I might have shaved the knobs anyway. I hate giving up casing volume.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast