mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Direct mount maxle derailleur hanger

I want to use the shimano direct mounting tab on my shadow plus rear derailleur. Does anybody make a replaceable hanger for the spearfish 1 that will let me do this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ive not seen any brand of bike with the new standard hanger yet. Even the aftermarket companies arnt offering anything, you'd think it would be a no-brianer to set-up a pattern and knock out a few for the more obvious candidates (we all know the guys with $10,000 bikes will spend any amount to get the latest kit).
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I emailed Salsa and got 2 lame responses, they didn't reply to my third question:

Hi!
    >
    > I would like to mount my shimano shadow plus rear derailleur with the direct mount. Do you make a maxle hanger that would accommodate this? I have a spearfish 1 and love it but the b axle link is definitely a weak link and I would like to use the direct mount. Thanks!

Hey Jeff,
    >
    > Sorry, we don't!
    >
    > Andy Palmer | Salsa Customer Service | P: 1-877-MOTO-ACE Ex:1510 | F: 952.983.6261

Any thoughts on making them?

Sent from my iPhone

Not at this time, we are going to focus on the 12x142 for now.

Andy Palmer | Salsa Customer Service | P: 1-877-MOTO-ACE Ex:1510 | F: 952.983.6261

At which point I replied I had the 12x142, and I didn't understand his answer. The short answer as far as I can guess is that because the frames are made in China they don't have any plans to design something and send the plans to China to have them tooled up. Looks like there is a cottage opportunity for somebody with a CNC mill and a little bit of ambition. I am pretty happy with my Salsa but as usual customer service seems to have escaped this industry.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I spotted on a forum somewhere pictures of 2013 Yeti bikes, they now come with/have the option of direct-mount hangers. I think thats the first ive seen anywhere? (tho its no surprise Yeti got in there quick, the demo bikes first showing the dm standard were Yeti's).
    I own a Surly, a Surly, a Surly and a Salsa. Probably some others in there too at the bottom of the pile.