mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Delgado Race Disc 29" - sliding rim tape

Hello All
    I'm the owner of the salsa dos niner with the Delgado Race Disc for 29" since last autumn.
    What I have noticed recently is that rim tape that I used is moving/sliding that way, that I got punctured from spoke side. Initally I used the blue rim tape from Schwalbe (the one with glue on one side). Then I used the plastic rim (dont remember the brand, but for 28") - and didnt work neither. Recently i tried to use two rings of the Schwalbe tape rim, the results is available on the pictures below (this is after around 70 km ride, the day after I got the spoke puncture again).

Any idea what tape rim to use or how to solve the issue ? at the moment I cant really ride my bike , at the same time:
    -rimm seems to be wider than the 26" ones
    -any tape I found here in Poland (22mm) is not wide enough to cover the whole rimm

any thougths or ideas how to solve this issue ? Cheers !

Some other photos:
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...974b0433a.html
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...016c38942.html
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...59a3b5e08.html
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...c5c7dcc84.html
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...5291be304.html

and the Salsa
    Last edited by maon; 07-21-2009 at 07:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Maon,
    Here are a couple things to try. The first thing that I would do is make sure that the rim is clean. Sometimes a very light oil is left on the rim after manufacturing. Only way to get it off is to clean the rim with a light degreaser and some alcohol. Any sort of metal prep will work well too. Once the rim is clean, try using a more narrow rim tape that will actually fit down in the channel. There are a few companies that make the 11mm variety and that seems to work well. I personally still prefer the plastic kind that you refer to earlier in your post. Fsa has some that work really well. Anyway, hopefully that will help you out. Ultimately if you keep having issues, give us a call and we'll chat about it on the phone.

1-877-Moto-Ace

Bobby
    Salsa Cycles
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm currently using hockey tape on the same rim you have. If you rip it in half (long ways) it fits perfectly in the channel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I put some of the Ritchey plastic rim strips on my La Cruz. I've removed them after a month as they wouldn't stay in place and it caused me to flat twice. I've gone back to the standard velox cloth tape. Hockey tape would work good too. No more plastic rim strips on any of my bikes.

mtbr member
    I also would never use a rim tape that did not adhere to the rim...I've been using Velox tape since 1988....I'll never use anything else. It works, period.
    This post brought to you and provided by:

The Department of Redundancy Department

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hello Folks, much appreciate all your feedback and suggestions. Need to check what is available here in Poland, but I can tell you there is not much for 29ers...

A couple of questions:
    Bobby: useful hint about cleaning the rim, will try. I can't find any that narrow tape at the suggested size of 11 mm (even FSA found on the net is wider than 11mm) - could you point me to any links on the Web ?

88 rex: not sure what you mean by hockey tape, (hockey not very popular here - any hint or link ?

Sfuller % FruitaGuy - need to check this velox tapes (again, a quick search didnt help, maynot be popular here, however hard to believe ...). Do you use with this rim, if yes what width ?

Many thanks for your advices so far !!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maon
    Hello Folks, much appreciate all your feedback and suggestions. Need to check what is available here in Poland, but I can tell you there is not much for 29ers...

A couple of questions:
    Bobby: useful hint about cleaning the rim, will try. I can't find any that narrow tape at the suggested size of 11 mm (even FSA found on the net is wider than 11mm) - could you point me to any links on the Web ?

88 rex: not sure what you mean by hockey tape, (hockey not very popular here - any hint or link ?

Sfuller % FruitaGuy - need to check this velox tapes (again, a quick search didnt help, maynot be popular here, however hard to believe ...). Do you use with this rim, if yes what width ?

Many thanks for your advices so far !!!!

Just did a google search for Velox 11mm and here is the link to that search. Hope this helps. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=velox+11mm+rim+tape&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Bobby
    Salsa Cycles
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Rox or Ritchey rim tape, or any fiber-reinforced sticky tape, or hell nylon strapping tape. Basically you want something that STICKS to the rim.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa Cycles
    Maon,
    Here are a couple things to try. The first thing that I would do is make sure that the rim is clean. Sometimes a very light oil is left on the rim after manufacturing. Only way to get it off is to clean the rim with a light degreaser and some alcohol. Any sort of metal prep will work well too. Once the rim is clean, try using a more narrow rim tape that will actually fit down in the channel. There are a few companies that make the 11mm variety and that seems to work well. I personally still prefer the plastic kind that you refer to earlier in your post. Fsa has some that work really well. Anyway, hopefully that will help you out. Ultimately if you keep having issues, give us a call and we'll chat about it on the phone.

1-877-Moto-Ace

Bobby
    Salsa Cycles

Hi Bobby, i did as you had descrbied - and it worked perfectly. I wa waiting with the feedback to be sure its ok - but after a few weeks, i can confirm your procedure worked very well.
    Thanks a lot!