Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cracked Spearfish Chainstay

14K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  fixgeardan 
#1 ·
Well, I'm joining the ranks of those with cracked non driveside chainstays. Just wanted to give a little insight into my ordeal.

I was going over my bike last Friday and noticed a crack going halfway through my chainstay, close to the bottom bracket. I've heard of this happening to a few folks lately, but I'm 150lbs, 5'9", so I didn't really think I'd fall victim as well.

Anyway, I got ahold of Salsa. Their customer service guy, Zach, was actually really awesome and helpful. He and I exchanged a series of Emails over one day trying to figure out the best course of action. I bought the frame in new condition a couple years ago.. but it was technically second hand. So I didn't have a receipt. No warranty coverage - Okay, I can understand that.

The biggest bummer is that they don't have any triangles left for the Spearfish 2 / 3. Only the Spearfish 1, which is a 142 x 12 thru axle. Kind of a bummer if you have a Formula hub. Fortunately, I have Stans hubs, which can be converted for ~$50. But the cost for the triangle, sans warranty: $380! Without that Maxle! :eekster: And I'm pretty sure Zach even helped with getting the price down a bit.

Anyway, to replace Salsa's crappy rear triangle design with another crappy rear triangle design is going to cost $500 with labor. Honestly, I'm just concerned about it breaking again. This issue isn't going to go away, and they're moving to a different design, presumably because they realize how shitty their "low maintenance" / "innovative" rear triangle was.

I'm going to get my bike back together, working with the new triangle and put it up for sale and buy a real full suspension.

From above:

From below:

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.