mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Cowbell vs. Bell Lap

I did a search for a thread on this and didn't find one, so please forgive me if I'm duplicating.

After seeing several comments in one thread (I didn't want to threadjack) mentioning how great the Cowbell bars are, and how much better than the Bell Laps, I'm wondering if anyone holding that opinion could try to explain why they are superior. I have a Vaya with Bell Laps and I don't have any complaints, but it would seem that I may be missing out on a transformational experience.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I ride with my hands on the brake hoods primarily, and on the cowbells my hands are in a much more comfortable, natural feeling position. I think the transition between the top of the bar and the hood is shorter and flatter on the cowbell. I also don't like the ergo drops on the bell lap, they limit hand positioning and the reverse bend digs into my palm. The drops on the cowbell are shallower and allow for more varied hand placement.

They are a great bar!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The Cowbell seems a variant on a "short & shallow" style bar. They have a slight flair on the drops for comfort, and it gives an overall slight width improvement in the drops, which makes me actually USE the drops for a change. I think the Bell Lap drops a little more than I like, and I have a little less room in them overall. I like the limited drop and lengths on the lowers, and the reach on the hoods is PERFECT. I don't dislike the Bells so much as I LOVE the overall feel of the Cows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I was able to check out some Cow Bells yesterday at my LBS, and they seem to be quite a bit more compact than the Bell Laps. I don't currently use my drops a lot, but maybe Cow Bells would make them more useful to me. At $45 for the #3 version, I might just have to give them a try.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I went from Bell Laps to typical FSA compact bars (Omega and Wing Pro). I'm much happier with the shorter drop and the lack of an ergo bend, as it makes the drops much more usable.

I actually don't miss the flare, but I'll admit that my experience with flared drop bars is limited to the Bell Lap.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My roadie has the FSA Wing Pro as well, and I really like those bars - likely why I'm an even bigger fan of the Cowbell. They are very similar.