mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Convert '09 El Mar to SS?

I recently picked up a '12 Spearfish and figured it might be a good time to convert my fully rigid 1x9 Red El Mar to a SS. It is the stock build. It has a 32T crank, so I assume I just need a single cog cassette and a new chain? Never rode or converted a bike to a SS. Am I missing something or is it that easy?
    Last edited by BikeThePlanet; 11-25-2012 at 08:33 AM.

dirtbag
    Yup, just get a SS conversion kit for your geared hub, you cog of choice and new chain. Adjusting the tension on the Bushnell EBB is pretty straightforward.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Or you could sell it How tall are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am 5'7, it is a Small. It is an awesome bike, wasn't planning on selling. My Spearfish is now my main bike, but nothing wrong with the El Mar. I figure it is already fully rigid, I might as well go all the way minimalist and make SS.

It has a 32t up front, so I am thinking 20 in back?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I went with a basic kit from Performance (3 cogs, spacers, etc.) on sale for under $20.

dirtbag
    32/20? Do you live in the mountains? You'll be spinning out like mad on the flats.
    Amolan

Professional Amateur
    I run a 32:18 and I still spin out quite a bit but can still make it up most hills. I only toss on something like a 32:20 for extended climbing rides where running an 18 tooth kills me