mtbr member

Colossal Question for Touring

Hello MTBR. It's been about a year since I've been on here. Been busy with a lot of other things.

Been riding my bikes for long distances too!

40 miler in Hope, AK
    Colossal Question for Touring-484727_10152640198690246_100347952_n.jpg

Difficult ride out to Eklutna lake with all my camping gear plus firewood!!
    Colossal Question for Touring-484686_10152640202000246_1597394113_n.jpg

Nice ride through Anchorage. I like to keep the bike loaded with lots of things
    Colossal Question for Touring-555064_10152640202460246_1499004208_n.jpg

200k ride from Anchorage, AK to Seward, AK. It was rainy. Yes, that's a shopping bag on my Brooks saddle.
    Colossal Question for Touring-537632_10152640205365246_1718161618_n.jpg

Seeing that I like to ride my bike far, and with stuff, does anyone know how to rig up a new Colossal for touring?

Does it accept a front rack?
    Frame packs - are those good enough for touring?
    Seat packs - will those work for holding enough gear?

I'd sure like to go faster with the security of disc brakes

mtbr member
    I think you're barking up the wrong tree with the Colossal. All your answers are on the Salsa web site. Personally, I think you should be looking at the Vaya or even the Fargo, but definately not the Colossal.

Good luck with your descision.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just bought a Casseroll last week. The guys at the shop really talked down the Colossal in just about every way possible. No mounts for racks, tight clearance for skinnier tires only, carbon fork provides a rougher feel front end wise for your hands. Like literally the ONLY thing good about it is the disk brakes. And honestly, I have disks on my Pugs and they ain't all that and a bag of chips!
    Agree with PP, look elsewhere if the Cass isn't working for you. But the Colossal isn't it.

mtbr member
    It's probably a great century machine. I'm definatley going to a disc braked road bike when I can justify more money going out the door.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Depends what you mean by Touring...

I plan to take my Colossal Ti to Japan for a few weeks next year... In summer, with a Revelate Viscacha, Tangle Bag and Harness I am sure I can carry enough stuff to ride and camp comfortably in warm conditions for a few weeks...

I set my bike up with SRAM Force WiFli so I can run a 32 out the back, giving me plenty of gear range for climbing with a light load on...

If you have the gear to travel properly light, the Colossal will be fine trips that are weeks, rather than months, long... For longer stuff, or colder climates where you need to carry bulk, you will need a Vaya and some racks...

2OFME
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Depends what you mean by Touring...

If you have the gear to travel properly light, the Colossal will be fine trips that are weeks, rather than months, long... For longer stuff, or colder climates where you need to carry bulk, you will need a Vaya and some racks...
    Or a trailer, but then just about any bike would work with a trailer.

mtbr member
    Casseroll is doing just fine for me. I did read the Salsa site and they're touting it as being faster than what I presume the Casseroll to be.

Macbeth - exactly the feedback I was looking for. It's good to know that it is possible to go a long distance with all your stuff. I'm just looking at days long, not weeks or months (maybe not yet).

My only gripe about the Casseroll is the lack of disc brakes.

I think Salsa nailed it with the Vaya, smooth, wonderful machine.

I think I want a Colossal anyway. I like going faster, but I'm not a true roadie yet. I like comfort as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have owned a Casseroll and a Vaya and a Collosal... I didn't like the Casseroll very much, I found it too flexy with any kind of load on (in a 58cm frame that is) and pretty sluggish...

The Vaya in my opinion is just about the most versatile bike on the market for road use...

If you are planning to keep the Casseroll, DEFINITELY get a Colossal, you will not regret it... If you are moving the Casseroll on, I'd say you should totally get a Vaya...

mtbr member
    I like the Casseroll for what it is. I don't notice too much flex, maybe because I haven't rode a lot of other loaded bikes?

I test rode a Vaya right before I bought the Casseroll and it was amazing. I wish I had it. The LBS sold it, so I got the other one.

Colossal looks like it's in my future.

Thanks Mac.