Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009

Colossal Alternative?

The Colossal is everything I've ever wanted in a steel road bike with the exception of two things, the press fit bottom bracket and 44mm headtube.
    I can see the headtube for tapered carbon forks, but the PFBB has no place on a steel frame. The Colossal seemed to be close enough that it would be worth bonding a FSA PF/threaded adapter to the bottom bracket until I stumbled across this:

2014 Bikes - Equilibrium Disc | Genesis Blog | Genesis Bikes

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nice bike! Can't see why it wouldn't be comparable in the areas you want and the changes you desire. When I bought my steel Colossal, I also looked at the All City Mr Pink. I ultimately got the Colossal though. I liked the classic steel ride with the updated looks of the taper HT & carbon fork, the colorway was killer as well!
    Why do you not like the idea of a PFBB on a steel bike? Just curious as I have no options one way or another.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Surly Straggler?

Surly Straggler — Joe Bike

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Nice bike! Can't see why it wouldn't be comparable in the areas you want and the changes you desire. When I bought my steel Colossal, I also looked at the All City Mr Pink. I ultimately got the Colossal though. I liked the classic steel ride with the updated looks of the taper HT & carbon fork, the colorway was killer as well!
    Why do you not like the idea of a PFBB on a steel bike? Just curious as I have no options one way or another.
    Thanks for responding. I'm not a fan of press-in bottom brackets in general. It's cheaper for the manufacturer, but is unnecessary for the consumer. IMO, from an engineering standpoint, PFBBs leave too much room for error in tolerances. I'm sure if you get a good BB to bearing match you'll have a lifetime of creak-free riding. If the true purpose was for more surface area in the BB, then why not just make a larger threaded BB? I really just wanted peoples opinion on the Equilibrium disc.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsqueak View Post
    I was checking this out. It's pretty sweet, but not my cup of tea. A lot of people like a do-all/adaptable bike. I'm more of a one-bike=one-purpose kind of rider. The Straggler would make an awesome SS, but I would have to cut off any unused attachments. Aesthetically, unused mounts on any bike are fugly to me. There is a place in my stable for a fast rail-to-trail/gravel bike, but I'm looking to fill that with the All-City Macho Disc.
    Last edited by Mr.Ice807; 09-02-2013 at 06:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just got the AC Macho Man disc to replace a Vaya. Great alternative, and while I've only had it on pavement, it's a ride improvement over the Vaya. I don't tour or rack up a bike, so the MM is a good bike for me. A bit "quicker", and seems to be a little tighter in terms of tolerances...but that could just be me.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    Just got the AC Macho Man disc to replace a Vaya. Great alternative, and while I've only had it on pavement, it's a ride improvement over the Vaya. I don't tour or rack up a bike, so the MM is a good bike for me. A bit "quicker", and seems to be a little tighter in terms of tolerances...but that could just be me.
    Nice! How does the Macho compare to the Vaya? I'll soon be the proud owner of an orange Vaya. It will be used mainly for loaded commuting and touring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    For your purposes, I think the Vaya will suit you fine. I feel more "in touch" with the MM than I did wi the Vaya, and the fork is far less noodly. The MM is a quicker handling ride as well. Can't comment on weight though -- no scale. I ran a Thud Buster ST on my Vaya for riding gravel, and loved it, so I switched that over to my MM. I may grab a carbon post to try with it as well, as the TB is pretty hefty.

I just put a Shimano compact crank on the MM today, which replaced the CX crank. I hate CX gearing!! Worthless.

The gearing in the Vaya was great as well - kind of a smaller compact. Good wheel set - mine is the orange 2012 Vaya 2 - and even the stock Contis were pretty good. They wear like iron!

I had also replaced all the SRAM Apex junk with Shimano 105, and it made a big performance difference. SRAM seems so unrefined by comparison. 105 has come such a long way over the years - I can barely tell the difference between it and my Ultegra bike.

Had I kept the Vaya (which I'm in the process of getting ready to sell), the BB5's would get swapped out for BB7's.

Bikeaholic
    Jul 2009
    I sent you a PM about your Vaya.