Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Colossal

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Colossal

Anybody in line to get one? When will they be available?

This bike ticks all the boxes for me.

I love the color. I love the panel graphics like my current La Cruz and like the older Salsas. Disc brakes. ENVE tapered carbon fork. Road bike only. It's got everything I need/want.

Birthday Collector
    88Rex - the Colossal is available - your dealer should have them if they put them on the season's order. If they were late in line, they should be getting them soon. We started getting them about 3 weeks ago. Very cool bike - steel-smooth and comfortable. The Ti bikes are not showing up until sometime in December - at least the best estimate! This would be a great bike for the Randonneur or light "credit card" tourist. Not light enough to be a racer, but for the 99% of us who rarely (or don't) ever race, it one of the nicer production steel bikes designed to do a lot of things fairly well. The roads around here are often chip-sealed and the slightly larger tire really helps in making those micro-vibrations disappear.

Depending on where you are, there should be a Salsa demo day scheduled sometime in your area. Hopefully they or the dealer will have a Colossal your size and you can give it a spin. This bike is not particularly light, but rides a lot lighter than it is. Like an El Mariachi, the handling just feels "right" almost as soon as you get on it. It is kind of like a bit-edgier Casseroll with disc brakes, and a bit less tire clearances.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott View Post
    88Rex - the Colossal is available - your dealer should have them if they put them on the season's order. If they were late in line, they should be getting them soon. We started getting them about 3 weeks ago. Very cool bike - steel-smooth and comfortable. The Ti bikes are not showing up until sometime in December - at least the best estimate! This would be a great bike for the Randonneur or light "credit card" tourist. Not light enough to be a racer, but for the 99% of us who rarely (or don't) ever race, it one of the nicer production steel bikes designed to do a lot of things fairly well. The roads around here are often chip-sealed and the slightly larger tire really helps in making those micro-vibrations disappear.

Depending on where you are, there should be a Salsa demo day scheduled sometime in your area. Hopefully they or the dealer will have a Colossal your size and you can give it a spin. This bike is not particularly light, but rides a lot lighter than it is. Like an El Mariachi, the handling just feels "right" almost as soon as you get on it. It is kind of like a bit-edgier Casseroll with disc brakes, and a bit less tire clearances.

Sounds good. I'll have to see what my LBS has to offer in regards to Sasla.

FWIW, my intentions for the bike are, ironically, my go fast bike and race bike. I had a BMC that was light, fast, and great, BUT didn't quite give me that lively feel. It was a "race" bike that wasn't fun to ride/race. My La Cruz, although not a "race" bike, is more fun to race and ride. I sold the BMC and upgraded the La Cruz. My La Cruz is running double duty.......CX racer and Road Racer. The Colossal would fill my role of racer perfectly. I would expect to have it around 19lbs with my race wheels (just a bit lighter than my La Cruz) . Light enough for me....

I'm a bit of an oddfellow.

Master of the Obvious
    Yep the Colossal has me salivating for sure. I am saving my pennies currently and hope there are some left in Jan-Feb when I should have enough duckets to get one!
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

get down!
    What are these going to weigh?
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Master of the Obvious
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    What are these going to weigh?

This is purely speculative on my end as I have not seen one yet, but I would be willing to bet between 20-21 lbs would cover it going by the parts, and considering the average weight of a chromo frame.

I am not turned off by the weight as I know it will do everything I want and more.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

Birthday Collector
    So - a 56cm weighs in at 21 Lbs 10 Oz without pedals, according to the Park Scale here at the shop. More than I would have guessed after riding the bike, but not from picking it up.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So about 22.5 lbs with pedals. Sounds about right. Definitely has some potential for weight loss.

Birthday Collector
    Ti version with Ultegra!!!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    Anybody in line to get one? When will they be available?

This bike ticks all the boxes for me.

I love the color. I love the panel graphics like my current La Cruz and like the older Salsas. Disc brakes. ENVE tapered carbon fork. Road bike only. It's got everything I need/want.

Man that is gorgeous!!!
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Has anybody picked up a Colossal lately? I'd love to read a recent review!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm building my Ti Collosal tomorrow. CAN NOT WAIT...

I'll post a review early next week.... Shooting for sub 8kg build...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    I'm building my Ti Collosal tomorrow. CAN NOT WAIT...

I'll post a review early next week.... Shooting for sub 8kg build...
    Can't wait to hear about it! This bike is on top of my list for a spring purchase.
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Crappy iPhone pic, but today is the best day ever... This thing is AMAZING...

More details soon, I promise...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colossal-484889_10151235785808862_454669483_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    wow, that is a sick looking bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Crappy iPhone pic, but today is the best day ever... This thing is AMAZING...

More details soon, I promise...
    Its awesome looking. How does it ride? What do you think the weight came in at?
    "The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt." - Surly Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Roads View Post
    Its awesome looking. How does it ride? What do you think the weight came in at?
    Rides amazing... Previous to the Colossal I was on a Cannondale Synapse HiMod... The Colossal is just as smooth but a bunch snappier and handles SO much better... Best decending bike I have ever owned...

Build kit is SRAM Force, Stans Alpha 340 Disc wheels with Hutchinson Intensive 25s set up tubeless. Total weight with cages, pedals and garmin mount is 8.3kg... Heavier than my Synapse for sure, but the wheel and tyre combination is lighter and it FEELS like a much lighter bike to ride...

SO happy...

Adam

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'll be looking to try one of these this spring as well. For me, the question will be whether or not I like the ride better than my vaya. I ride the vaya almost exclusively on the road and bike paths, but I am running some cushy 42s... Might be hard to give those up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seewhatididther View Post
    I'll be looking to try one of these this spring as well. For me, the question will be whether or not I like the ride better than my vaya. I ride the vaya almost exclusively on the road and bike paths, but I am running some cushy 42s... Might be hard to give those up.

LOL.....I'd gues it probably rides a little different than your Vaya...especially with 42's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    LOL.....I'd gues it probably rides a little different than your Vaya...especially with 42's.
    IKR? Everything else I ride is harsh by comparison! I'd still like to try one though. I need to toughen up!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I work at a Salsa dealer, and I'll be interested to hear feedback about Colossal vs. Vaya...

At the moment my assumption is that we won't sell many steel Colossals as I think they are gonna be quite heavy, and the Vaya 2 is LOADS more versatile for not much of a weight penalty...

Will be interesting...

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    more builds of colossals anyone?
    also, anyone knows how much does the steel frame weighs?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by BuntyMan View Post
    more builds of colossals anyone?
    also, anyone knows how much does the steel frame weighs?

thanks
    I'm a week in and a number of rides down with the steel colossal. It's stock right now and weighs in just under 23lbs (56cm). This bike ROCKS.

to reiterate a comment earlier, it is SO smooth and solid when going mach speeds down hills. And although not the ti version, it still has that getup and go feeling that i find so inherent in ti bikes.

going to ride the 28's for a while, but may move down to 25's later. we'll see. The only way to seriously knock a few lb's off the total weight is a wheelset upgrade. otherwise you're only nipping at it with post, stem, cranks, brakes etc (not that those won't come in time, too).

I'm a steel rider, and when i got on this whip, it was like a dream ride.

Thinking about that when Chris king releases his road disk hubs

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    sweet! lots of info here!
    can I ask you a couple of questions if you don't mind?
    how tall are you/inseam? From the website, I should go with the 56cm frame, too. But being new at this "road bike malarky" I could use some help! Also, what stem length?

I wonder how much do the stock wheelset weighs... I've eyed a couple that are around 3.3 lbs (1500 g) and I was wondering if that's acceptable, or not.

anyway, thanks for your post! very helpful!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Everybody's body and riding styles are different. I have long legs, a short torso and long arms, so I had to put a 120mm stem in place of the 100mm that was on there, and set the saddle pretty far back with an upwards tilt (but this is very specific to my riding style and feel, i tend to slide forward and prefer to lay nice and long).

In all honesty, I'd try to ride the bike and feel it out. That's the best way to know. Otherwise, I'm ~5'10 & 143lbs and dont' know my inseam.

I think frame size comes down to one simple question –*do you want to feel like you're riding in the bike, or on top of the bike. I prefer the former.

Acceptability of weight? To whom? I'm totally happy with the weight of the bike. I'm not a racer, so an 18lb bike isn't really something i *need.* sure, in time, it could be nice to lighten the bike up a bit, but it's already a very reasonably weighted steel bike considering the component spec it comes with. And when climbing, I don't feel the weight, especially with the gearing of the apex. I tackled the manayunk wall two days ago, and i'll tell you, it wasn't the weight of the bike that deterred me from summiting that beast… : ]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast