Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Colossal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ADV View Post
    I want to add a road bike to my quiver and I think this is the bike. Road bike with bb7 brakes and built for all day comfort sign me up. I talked with my lbs today and they are going to get me a price for to steel frame. After I sell my karate monkey I am going to pull the trigger on a colossal!
    Yeah! You'll love it. 2014? The gray looks much better in person than it does online.

GOTA, I've never tried a Brooks saddle, but it would definitely look nice on there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    Forgot to mention - I've gotten lots of compliments along the lines of "Hey, sweet cyclocross bike!"

My reply, "It's not a cyclocross bike, it's a road bike", at which point they scan the frame and disk brakes again and display puzzled looks.

Kind of begs the question - does it matter what it is exactly or what we call it if it does what you want it to do?
    I assume but this time this is no longer happening as disc road brakes are becoming more normal.

People are to apt to want to use binary indicators to classify bikes. Such as how fender eyelets are proof a bike is a touring bike and not a serious racer. By that definition, Postal ran touring bikes from 99-04.

mtbr member
    Revival of an old thread I know. But I was looking for info to decide between the steel and Ti frames to replace a 2002 IF Club Racer. Love that bike but can no longer deal with rim brakes and the less than stout rear triangle. I've decided to order the 55cm Ti version next week. Building it up with Ultegra, Haynes CX Pro brakes and Stan's Grail team wheels.

Funny in 2002 people asked me why I bought the weird Club Racer with room for 28c tires and slacker angles than the Crown Jewel. I was told I would regret it and should have bought a Madone, S-Works, etc... After 15 years of riding that thing all year and all surfaces, I am sort of buying the same thing again. And most of those people are now either sedentary or buying gravel/endurance bikes.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a 2014 Colossal to hang out with my Fargo! Should be in this week!

mtbr member

new bike day.

Colossal-img_4061.jpg
    This will do.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice bike! I really do like the colossal. "Too bad" I've chosen to go with the vaya for added versatility...

mtbr member
    The Colossal is absolutely a road bike. Those roads could be a crumbling, pot holed mess or bumpy cobbles but they should still be roads. The Vaya is definitely more versatile but if you ride roads and like the feel of steel then the Colossal is pretty much perfect.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Colossal is absolutely a road bike. Those roads could be a crumbling, pot holed mess or bumpy cobbles but they should still be roads. The Vaya is definitely more versatile but if you ride roads and like the feel of steel then the Colossal is pretty much perfect.
    That pretty much sums it up for me.

I do like the Vaya, but I felt it had too much overlap with my Fargo. For my stable, the Colossal fits in perfectly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Recent Colossals have fender mounts, but I'm yet to see one built up with fenders. Does anyone have a photo (yours or otherwise)? I'm a bit skeptical about clearances.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    No more carbon...

mtbr member
    Sharp looking bike! I miss the blue though, I really wish I had bought one last year when they were on clearance. It would have matched my Horsethief perfecrly, haha.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It complements my Warbird pretty nicely...

mtbr member
    I normally don't care for red, but those Warbirds are sharp!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Colossal-img_20150425_125713837.jpgColossal-img_20150425_125802919.jpgColossal-img_20150425_125733061.jpgColossal-img_20150425_125725279.jpgColossal-img_20150425_125740007.jpg

mtbr member
    Notes from the build:

If you want to run 160mm rotors instead of 140mm, you will use the front 160-180mm shimano adapter.

most everything else is pretty self explanatory. The lower headset isn't the most common sizing, but cane creek has a drop in unit.

My hubs are hope pro2 evo with DT competition spokes and brass nipples rounding out the wheels. The group is dura ace 10 spd, with ultegra crank and trp spyre brakes. Cannondale C2 cockpit and seatpost. Conti gp4000 25mm tires.

I'll stop by the bike shop some time and weigh it for reference. It's not light...but it's not super heavy either. Haven't ridden yet.... should be today or tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome, Aaron! I love the orange almost as much as my blue color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I like the new thru axle front wheel. And going away from PF30.
    2013 Salsa Colossal Steel
    2013 Salsa Beargrease
    2010 Trek Fuel EX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggsie View Post
    I like the new thru axle front wheel. And going away from PF30.
    Did they change from the PF30? I can't find any info on the bottom bracket for the latest model.

I actually have the Wheels adapter in mine so I could use a Shimano 105 crankset. It works great and is a big improvement over the FSA it shipped with.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Did they change from the PF30? I can't find any info on the bottom bracket for the latest model.

I actually have the Wheels adapter in mine so I could use a Shimano 105 crankset. It works great and is a big improvement over the FSA it shipped with.
    In 2014 they changed to BB86.

Colossal 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles
    2013 Salsa Colossal Steel
    2013 Salsa Beargrease
    2010 Trek Fuel EX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggsie View Post
    In 2014 they changed to BB86.

Colossal 2 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles
    Not as good as threaded but there have been a lot less issues with the BB86. That was a nice change
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    I've done a few upgrades to my Colossal recently -- new Brooks Cambium saddle, shorter stem, and now she's even outfitted for lightweight touring.

My boyfriend and I did a short overnight over Memorial Day weekend. 70 miles on day 1 and 60 miles on day 2. Bike handled like a dream. I could barely even tell that I was carrying gear. I continue to love this bike, although slightly bigger tire clearance would have been nice.

Colossal-11377118_10205490187888238_8289926483504658363_n.jpg

Colossal-11024757_10100784775820495_7628268972520383965_n.jpg

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks like an awesome ride and weekend!!!
    Glad you're digging the Colossal and looks like you've figured out the bike packing side of things. totally cool!

Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    I've done a few upgrades to my Colossal recently -- new Brooks Cambium saddle, shorter stem, and now she's even outfitted for lightweight touring.

My boyfriend and I did a short overnight over Memorial Day weekend. 70 miles on day 1 and 60 miles on day 2. Bike handled like a dream. I could barely even tell that I was carrying gear. I continue to love this bike, although slightly bigger tire clearance would have been nice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11377118_10205490187888238_8289926483504658363_n.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	991566

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11024757_10100784775820495_7628268972520383965_n.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	167.6 KB 
ID:	991565

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by a a r o n View Post
    Notes from the build:

most everything else is pretty self explanatory. The lower headset isn't the most common sizing, but cane creek has a drop in unit.
    I discovered this only after ordering a typical taper headset first. No matter, will find a place to use the more typical lower and race.

mtbr member
    I got a killer deal on a 2013 steel Colossal. I've had a Vaya for 5 years or so now and it's pretty much the perfect bike for me. I wanted something a bit lighter and more nimble, something more fun to ride unloaded.

After riding the Vaya for so long though I'm having a hard time going back to skinny tires. I usually ride solo on mixed terrain so I don't really need to go fast. I'm thinking about swapping out the fork for something with more clearance though. The frame can easily fit 32s, maybe even 35s or bigger depending on the tire. However, 28s pretty much max out the fork.

Has anyone swapped out their fork? I know the Enve forks are really fancy, but I'm not a fan of how impractical they are.
    Former bike mechanic; current idiot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    First ride report:
    24.75 miles in 1:30. Rode intown paved bike trails that wind all around Lincoln Nebraska.
    Great weather at 80 degrees with low humidity and light breezes from the South at 5-7mph.

The bike rides fast. It accelerates quickly and corners very well. The ride quality was exactly as I had hoped, right in between my plush steel 38c Casseroll and my 23c Quintana Roo Carbon Fiber tri bike. Yes, you feel the road but it actually is in a good way as it reminds you that you are going fast on a bike. But after 24 miles, I don't feel like I need an Advil and ice on my back! The fit is aggressive but not uncomfortably so, an aero position was easy to achieve and hold, yet riding upright and enjoying the view was equally as easy and rewarding. The coolest part is that both my big water bottles fit in the frame triangle! I had to choose one long and one short on my Cass and my Roo only allowed one bottle cage in the small aero triangle, making you mount extras behind your seat or in the tri bars infront of you.

The SRAM double tap shifters are definately cool but will take some getting used to. I had Tiagra before and the brake levers were involved in downshifting. With SRAM white, the double tap shifters do both up & downshifts. I do like the solid feel of the brake levers, something I never got used to with the Tiagra and the movement in them, even when you didn't want to shift and just brake. The shifting was crisp and quick, quiet operation although the ratchet clicks in the freewheel are very loud when coasting(maybe because the rest of the bike is so quiet and the tires make no noise on the pavement).

The bars are not as comfy as the short & shallows that were on the Cass, mainly due to the lack of the "ergo" section in the curl portion. Apparently I used this area more than I realized! But the rest of the bar is adequate and has good width and girth.

The brakes are good and quiet riding. They stop well and feather quite easily on downhills.

I really liked the ride of this bike and the geo worked well. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some! The 51 fit me solidly at 5'3" and the bike is very light and responsive for my 115lbs of "bigness"! It will work well as a casual riding bike with some get up & go, a road machine for piling on the miles and not taking all day to do it, along with racing my duathlons and a few road races.

The steel rides exceptionally well and the carbon fork smoothes out the road vibration. It was quite easy to hit mid 20s on the flats and maintain that speed for long stretches. Everything I was looking for in a bike. Very very happy. This one is a winner!

I realize I am hitting a two year old thread, but I am hoping you'll see this I'm getting ready to order a 51 Colossal without being able to ride it...you said you are 5'3"...what other size bikes do you have and ride? I'm struggling with what size to order. My CX bike has a 52TT and I ride a Small Niner.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast