Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Colossal

mtbr member
    Stealth mode engaged - stickers peeled. Defnitely looks better, thanks for the suggestion

mtbr member
    Nice vick! Pics of stealth mode are required of course!

Blew away last year's bike part of the Du by over 5 minutes on the steel Colossal, 38:26 @ 12 miles. Who says carbon fiber is faster Lol! Okay, maybe my training was better this year. But the ride was way more enjoyable and stable. I'm happy, he's a keeper!
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Got in a longer ride yesterday, lots more time to get dialed into things. Lots of good descending and the BB's are breaking in nicely, much better feel now. Very glad I went with the 25 tires rather than 28s - big enough they complement the smooth characteristics of the frame & fork materials without feeling like I'm lugging around unnecessary bulk. Not that 28s are necessarily bulky, they're just wider than what suits my style of riding. Really enjoying the Force compact group - the double tap thing only took a couple of shifts to figure out and is very easy to adapt to.

Thinking the only thing missing at this point is some red Salsa skewers.

Overall I think I accomplished what I hoped to, which is set up a well-balanced and versatile performance touring bike.

As requested, wheels peeled...
    Colossal-photo-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Looks TERRIFIC!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm looking reaaaal hard at a colossal 2 steel complete. How are you liking the geometry vick? The Ti you've got looks awesome but I see you described it as a touring focused bike. I'm really looking to go quick but I'm not worried about weight so much. I think your Ti comes in lighter than a Madone 5 which is pretty impressive IMO (18 lbs). I'm going to try to find one to test out here in Michigan so maybe I can report back with my thoughts next week.

mtbr member
    Loving the Colossal! I should re-phrase - it's not a touring bike, it's a road bike with relaxed geometry compared to the Litespeed Vortex I came off of. That means I can ride it all day comfortably and the handling stays manageable when I get tired. I just rode the Death Ride on it and felt comfortable from start to finish - it handled everything from the grinding climbs to 50+mph descents beautifully. The disks demonstrated their value diving into yet another corner after 5+ miles of relatively high speed descending.

In Michigan I don't know if I'd argue that the disks are all that worthwhile unless you ride in the rain alot. I appreciate the power they offer on the descending that can be done in the Sierra but if I was living someplace flatter I probably wouldn't have gone for them.

The geometry and ride though are spot on for where I'm at with my road riding - between the ti frame, carbon fork and 25 tires it simply handles less than perfect paved surfaces well and remains pretty comfortable on long rides.

mtbr member
    Forgot to mention - I've gotten lots of compliments along the lines of "Hey, sweet cyclocross bike!"

My reply, "It's not a cyclocross bike, it's a road bike", at which point they scan the frame and disk brakes again and display puzzled looks.

Kind of begs the question - does it matter what it is exactly or what we call it if it does what you want it to do?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've gotten the same reaction on my Fargo. I'm usually like, "well, I dunno what it is really, but I love it, and some have called it a mega-cross bike, so I guess guess you're not wrong..."

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd love to hear some more feedback from Colossal owners, how have you been getting on?

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    Got a steel frameset, can't wait to have it put together!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser2 View Post
    I'd love to hear some more feedback from Colossal owners, how have you been getting on?
    I'm in Connecticut and after a difficult winter the roads are completely destroyed. Potholes everywhere, huge piles of sand on the sides and crumbling payment are everywhere. On the aluminum bikes I've been riding up until the Colossal my teeth would be chattering from all the hits and that's even with 28 tires.

I got a 2013 steel Colossal complete in December and it's been a dream on these horrible roads. You don't lose feeling of all those bumps but the don't rattle you either. The disc brakes have been a big improvement since it's wet more days than dry. The frame also puts you into a surprisingly aggressive seat position. That makes climbing on a heavier bike not so bad because you are far enough over the front wheel.

For anyone looking for a training or winter bike or a good long distance bike over less that good roads, the Colossal is perfect.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ordered my 2013 Colossal Ti in size 53cm. Should get here on Monday. I was struggling over whether or not to go with the steel version. It's just so much more affordable. In the end, I got a great deal from a local bike shop in the Denver area for a Ti model. The extra money for better components, wheelset, and frame material sold me.

I'll post some pictures when it gets in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    And here are the pictures! Unfortunately, with all the busy'ness of Easter this weekend, I haven't been able to take the bike on her inaugural first ride. I did get to do a brief ride up and down my street in order to adjust the stem and saddle positions. At 5'7 and my particular body size, I'm definitely glad I went with 53cm versus a 55cm.

For the short amount of time I've been on the bike, it feels as stiff as my carbon Litespeed. I am Clydesdale weighing in at 215 lbs, and have owned a titanium Litespeed Arenberg in the past and that bottom bracket would flex when I mash on the pedals going up hill. Time will tell, once I actually take it out on a real ride, if my Colossal Ti will do the same. But like I said, I can't tell the difference between the feel of this Ti bike versus my carbon bike and need to ride it more to give a better report.

As far as the bike goes, I was surprised that the stem I received was the Salsa Pro Moto Ti version as opposed to the PM1 with red lettering (similar to the red lettering on the seat post), but hey, I love it. The stem is still gorgeous. I bought some Planet Bike Red anodized cages and think it compliments the titanium well. As for bar tape, I received the ugly gray salsa cork tape (what the heck, where's my Salsa black tape?) with the bike kit and my friendly neighbor gave me his unused pair of Lizard Skins Race DSP 1.8mm tape. Really like the black tape versus the stock gray tape that came it the bike.

Alright, enough talking. I'm gonna enjoy more time with the family for this Easter weekend and will do my first real ride with the bike next weekend. Enjoy the pictures below. I know you Ti freaks like to look at welds, so check them out below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colossal-img_20140419_133313342.jpg  

Colossal-img_20140419_133213002_hdr.jpg  

Colossal-img_20140419_133140378.jpg  

Colossal-img_20140419_133223334_hdr.jpg  

mtbr member
    For those of you who saw my previous thread about buying a Colossal, yes, I wound up buying it after my trip to Minneapolis! The 2013 in Bomb Pop blue. It's even prettier in person and changes different shades of blue depending on the light. I am a chick and am 5'-5" to 5'-6" (depending on who measures me) and the 53cm fit me like a glove. It just felt right from the moment I got on. I got a killer deal on it from the Angry Catfish - $1600 on sale. That's a great shop, by the way. They treated me well and were very helpful. I have to make the trip back up to get a fitting later in the summer.

I've only taken her on one short ride so far, but I'm in love. It's such a smooth ride and climbing/descending is rock solid. Lots of get up and go on the climbs and very stable at 30+ mph cruising down a hill. I'm going to have to get used to SRAM and not having as many gears, but the rest makes up for it.

Totally stock at the moment, but I will most likely be switching the saddle and the tires soon. Smaller saddle bag too. I just recently had hip surgery and have to stick with platform pedals for now. But the pins are orange and match the rest of the bike!

Colossal-10177387_10100504066788645_791324075474822533_n.jpg

Colossal-10313350_10100504066998225_7377868998662892417_n.jpg

Colossal-10325538_10100504066873475_6309990680648442471_n.jpg

Colossal-10329178_10100504066948325_9149945677429833573_n.jpg

Colossal-10414926_10100504066918385_8885975640011834549_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Congrats WiTrailRunner! You're going to love it.

It's surprising well equipped. I even kept the stock saddle for a couple of months before moving my Brooks B17 over from another bike. This was the first bike I had with SRAM Apex and 6 months in I'm still digging it. I wasn't sure since I love the Shimano Ultegra on my other bike but the Apex has really grown on me especially in hilly areas. Those BB7 brakes are also really impressive. They are much easier to adjust than the BB5 and other mechanical disc brakes.

That steel frame is a dream if you are dealing with potholes and generally nasty roads. So much better than aluminum. Enjoy and get out there and ride!
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Gorgeous bike! I LOVE that color, it looks to be the same as my Horsethief 2.

I want one of these SO bad but can't justify it. I have a cross bike which can do both cross and road duties, so I don't have a need for a road only bike. If the Colossal could take wider tires, I'd sell the cross bike and just use the Colossal for cross.

I'm not a serious racer, but I tried a race late last season and loved it. I'm looking forward to doing more.

I use my cross bike for long road rides, I've done up to 80 miles on it, and want to start doing centuries. I feel the Colossal would prob be ideal for that purpose, but makes the cross bike redundant. I don't need to have a bike dedicated to only a few races a year.

Decisions, decisions.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Thank you! I'm pretty stoked. I'm a commuter and I have a real rough patch of road for a mile or two into work, so I'll be curious to see how she does. Going to do my first commute of the year tomorrow. I have a bit of a haul at 33 miles round trip, so I wanted a faster ride for it.

I think everyone wishes that this bike could take slightly wider tires. I guess I get that's what the Warbird is for, but I don't really get why they made the Warbird in aluminum and not steel. I didn't get a chance to test the Warbird, but I like the look of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Thank you! I'm pretty stoked. I'm a commuter and I have a real rough patch of road for a mile or two into work, so I'll be curious to see how she does. Going to do my first commute of the year tomorrow. I have a bit of a haul at 33 miles round trip, so I wanted a faster ride for it.

I think everyone wishes that this bike could take slightly wider tires. I guess I get that's what the Warbird is for, but I don't really get why they made the Warbird in aluminum and not steel. I didn't get a chance to test the Warbird, but I like the look of it.

Yeah, I looked at the Warbird, and it looks cool, but it's not what I want. Like you said, if it was steel it would be more attractive to me.

I'm thinking the All City Macho Man Disc might be what I want, or the new Raleigh Tamland looks good too.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Yeah, I looked at the Warbird, and it looks cool, but it's not what I want. Like you said, if it was steel it would be more attractive to me.

I'm thinking the All City Macho Man Disc might be what I want, or the new Raleigh Tamland looks good too.
    If you are interested in the Tamland check out the lower end Tamland 1. For some reason Raleigh decided to go with a 52-36 crank and 11-32 cog on the Tamland 2. That just sounds way too racy on this kind of bike. The Tamland 1 is still uses a lot of Shimano 105 so it's still very well configured and it's about $800 cheaper.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If you are interested in the Tamland check out the lower end Tamland 1. For some reason Raleigh decided to go with a 52-36 crank and 11-32 cog on the Tamland 2. That just sounds way too racy on this kind of bike. The Tamland 1 is still uses a lot of Shimano 105 so it's still very well configured and it's about $800 cheaper.
    Yeah, the 1 is the one that piqued my interest. The 2 may have a better color scheme, but is more than I would want to spend on a bike like this. And you're right, the gearing does sound a bit off.

The other option I was kicking around was picking up a Macho Man disc frameset and building it up as budget allows.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    I've never seen a Macho Man disc in the wild but they do look good on paper. We don't have an All City dealer in the state so they just aren't around.
    He who dares....wins!

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice Bike!!
    I've been away from the forums riding for the last few weeks but glad to see they treated you well and that you ended up with the bike you wanted.
    Enjoy the ride! I'm jealous :^)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    Nice Bike!!
    I've been away from the forums riding for the last few weeks but glad to see they treated you well and that you ended up with the bike you wanted.
    Enjoy the ride! I'm jealous :^)
    Dude! The damn donut shop was closed. I was so disappointed. I did, however, walk up to some bar about 5 blocks away for lunch while they swapped some stuff on the bike for me. Thanks for the info though!

I have since put on a pair of gatorskins and swapped out the stock saddle, which did not work for me at all. (Did that stock saddle work for anyone?? I thought it was horrible.)

Colossal-photo.jpg

ADV
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I want to add a road bike to my quiver and I think this is the bike. Road bike with bb7 brakes and built for all day comfort sign me up. I talked with my lbs today and they are going to get me a price for to steel frame. After I sell my karate monkey I am going to pull the trigger on a colossal!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTrailRunner View Post
    Dude! The damn donut shop was closed. I was so disappointed. I did, however, walk up to some bar about 5 blocks away for lunch while they swapped some stuff on the bike for me. Thanks for the info though!

I have since put on a pair of gatorskins and swapped out the stock saddle, which did not work for me at all. (Did that stock saddle work for anyone?? I thought it was horrible.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	905558
    I replaced the saddle with a Brooks B17. I didn't think the stock saddle was bad but this is the kind of bike that is just perfect for a Brooks saddle.
    He who dares....wins!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast