Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Colossal

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    I am not a racer. At the moment I am using a on-one 29er, without suspension and singlespeed (36*15).... using it on the road with 700*40. so I am not exactly concerned about weight in general. And like you I often find hills that I cannot climb and weight is not the reason why..
    But, if I buy a different bike, well I want it to be different (does this make sense?). By looking online I saw that the frame of the colossal weighs not far the one of my inbred... now I don't need a super racer-13lb bike, but maybe an 18 could be what I would like (with all respect for your ideas, that is), given that I am already covered should I need a "tourer" (by adding gears to my current bike).

And thanks for the info re. sizing. I am very similar so at least I would know what size to choose!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I put in an order for a TI model on Friday... Gonna build it up with campagnolo centaur (10sp)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Post some pics when you get it! I'm slightly tempted by the steel Colossal sitting at the LBS, but not tempted quite enough to bite. It's a beautiful bike though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    10-4 I will

mtbr member
    Joining the ranks soon Just bit the bullet on a special order one from my LBS today. CAN. NOT. WAIT.
    I bought a Casseroll instead a few months back and didn't so much as regret it as I found myself longing for the flash and dash of the Colossal. So after months of talking myself out of it, I placed the Cass up for sale and a deposit on the Colossal.
    I'll post pics about this time next week!

mtbr member
    Another soon-to-be Colossal rider here - just ordered a 58 ti frame built up with Force and Stans Alpha 340 wheels. Kept the salsa bars/stem/seatpost spec'd on the factory bike though I did step down to 25 tires. No idea what it'll weigh in at and not really concerned - goal is a comfortable all-day-rider that will go up and down really well. Pics to follow when it shows up.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ^That's going to be sweet! Anybody with a 60cm post pics!

mtbr member
    Gonna be a long weekend. Expecting delivery Monday morning and buildup later that day by my LBS, pickup by 5pm close.
    I got the steel version, size 51(I am a short female rider) and will stay stock except I think it begs for a King headset in anodized orange. Time crunch with racing season coming, so I probably will wait and make the headset switch at the first full tuneup after cable stretch and seating of parts.

You guys that got Ti, since this is sortof a new from drawing board nitche category bike & geo, were you concerned at all that you might not like it? I briefly gave the Ti some consideration but that was my fear.

mtbr member
    I don't think the Colossal is that niche, aside from the discs. If I had a little fatter budget I'd have bought the Vamoots I've always wanted - if everything I've read is true though the Colossal will scratch that itch perfectly.

mtbr member
    Ah, okay. Perhaps I was getting bowled over by all the talk that this was some new bike geo or something came up with by Salsa designers and testers.
    So just a road bike with disks....got cha!

Whelp, either way....here he is(yes, "he", I call it my cheater bike since I sold my plush easy going Casseroll for my spicey stallion racer)

I haven't ridden it for more than a few blocks at this point. My LBS got behind and it didn't get finished until 8pm last night then I had family obligations afterwards. So tonight is the shakedown ride of 20 miles. It defianately is more aggressive!

Stock so far. I have an orange King headset on order to put on at first tuneup.

Colossal-image.jpg

Colossal-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    What's with the platform pedals?

mtbr member
    I do not like clipless or flats & straps. I have rode both, tried both, was not fond of either system. Platforms with pins work best for me and my Converse All Stars as my biking shoes on all my bikes(unicycle, cargo, fatbike, and road).

mtbr member
    Nakedbabytoes - beautiful bike! If I wasn't so invested in my current road bike, I'd snap up a steel Colossal in a heart beat!
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member

Colossal

Nice bike babytoes! Look forward to your first ride report

mtbr member
    First ride report:
    24.75 miles in 1:30. Rode intown paved bike trails that wind all around Lincoln Nebraska.
    Great weather at 80 degrees with low humidity and light breezes from the South at 5-7mph.

The bike rides fast. It accelerates quickly and corners very well. The ride quality was exactly as I had hoped, right in between my plush steel 38c Casseroll and my 23c Quintana Roo Carbon Fiber tri bike. Yes, you feel the road but it actually is in a good way as it reminds you that you are going fast on a bike. But after 24 miles, I don't feel like I need an Advil and ice on my back! The fit is aggressive but not uncomfortably so, an aero position was easy to achieve and hold, yet riding upright and enjoying the view was equally as easy and rewarding. The coolest part is that both my big water bottles fit in the frame triangle! I had to choose one long and one short on my Cass and my Roo only allowed one bottle cage in the small aero triangle, making you mount extras behind your seat or in the tri bars infront of you.

The SRAM double tap shifters are definately cool but will take some getting used to. I had Tiagra before and the brake levers were involved in downshifting. With SRAM white, the double tap shifters do both up & downshifts. I do like the solid feel of the brake levers, something I never got used to with the Tiagra and the movement in them, even when you didn't want to shift and just brake. The shifting was crisp and quick, quiet operation although the ratchet clicks in the freewheel are very loud when coasting(maybe because the rest of the bike is so quiet and the tires make no noise on the pavement).

The bars are not as comfy as the short & shallows that were on the Cass, mainly due to the lack of the "ergo" section in the curl portion. Apparently I used this area more than I realized! But the rest of the bar is adequate and has good width and girth.

The brakes are good and quiet riding. They stop well and feather quite easily on downhills.

I really liked the ride of this bike and the geo worked well. It was everything I hoped it would be and then some! The 51 fit me solidly at 5'3" and the bike is very light and responsive for my 115lbs of "bigness"! It will work well as a casual riding bike with some get up & go, a road machine for piling on the miles and not taking all day to do it, along with racing my duathlons and a few road races.

The steel rides exceptionally well and the carbon fork smoothes out the road vibration. It was quite easy to hit mid 20s on the flats and maintain that speed for long stretches. Everything I was looking for in a bike. Very very happy. This one is a winner!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    I do not like clipless or flats & straps. I have rode both, tried both, was not fond of either system. Platforms with pins work best for me and my Converse All Stars as my biking shoes on all my bikes(unicycle, cargo, fatbike, and road).
    I'm actually pretty similar in that regard; not really interested in clipless. So, what platforms are those? I keep looking for good ones to put on my Fargo.

mtbr member
    They are VP-001 anodized sealed bearing platforms with screw in pins. They are pretty wide and flat, but thin. I also have Tioga Spyder Ds on my Pugsley, slightly smaller foot area but they are thicker and I would also recommend those as well.

I have some Eastern Pro BMX type pedals with screw in pins on my Unicycle. I wouldn't recommend them for a bike. They are heavy and thick and the foot area is huge. But they work well on a unicycle where weight isn't an issue and you have to mount free standing and want a large foot target.

My cargo bike has cruiser type flats, no pins, made by Valvert. Barefoot or sandal riding was the reason for that choice. We take family rides on it to the park or swimming pool.

mtbr member
    So I have a crushed rock quarter century ride on Saturday night and thought that it might be sortof freaky deaky to put some knobbies on the Colossal for better cornering and general grip.
    So I bought some 700x28 Kenda Karvs, was worried about front fork clearance, and this is what you get:
    Colossal-image.jpg

Lol! Now, I dunno why I find this so funny but I do. The bike is a "Colossal" which usually means BIG(I do realize the bike is named after a local hangout near Salsa HQ) and mine is tiny being a 51. Then you add baby knobbies and the whole bike is a goofy joke in itself.
    But anywho, if you are looking for grippy bumpy tires that will fit the Colossal, Kenda Karvs at 700c x 28c will fit and fit with clearance room.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think its to do with the fact its a colossal road bike to conquer the blacktop.

My dad's ti version has the 28c challenge Parigi Roubaix with a little more clearance but it rides like a cloud. Additionally it will dominate the dry clay based dirt roads around here as well.

mtbr member
    Got home yesterday and my new Colossal was waiting for me. Got it unboxed and put together pretty quickly but ran out of daylight. Made it out for about an hour today for a shakedown ride and short answer is I'm very pleased! Verbose details below:

A little background for context...I'm coming off a Litespeed Vortex I've been riding for the last ten years. For some reasons I can explain and a few that I can't I wanted to stick with titanium. Was truly lusting after a Moots Vamoots but still couldn't quite stomach the bill, maybe in a few years. I'll be 40 next month and wanted something a little more relaxed than the Litespeed but not full-blown touring bike - stumbled across the Colossal and was more or less hooked once I found out about the ti version.

Ordered up a custom build with full Force & Stans Alpha 340 wheels with 25mm tires. I'm 6'1" and 190lbs, ordered a 58cm frame. Considered spec'ing a 160 vs 140mm rotor on the front, but ultimately went with 140. Using the scientific, carefully calibrated fish scale it came to 18-ish lbs, could be 19. I'm not a weight weenie so wasn't too concerned but am pleased with where it fell. I'm big enough that I can break delicate things.

Impressions - it does exactly what I wanted it to. Very stable yet lively and quick enough feeling I don't feel like I've gone straight to a beach cruiser. Need to put some more miles on it before I play with swapping anything to dial in the fit, but it feels pretty damn good out of the box. Did a fair bit of climbing on my short ride and it felt great in and out of the saddle. Some good downhills too - got up to around 40mph and handled it easily. The roads around here can be variable in the quality of the surface and this bike feels very smooth over the irregularities. I doubt it's any one factor which delivers the ride, no doubt a result of the cumulative effect of the frame, fork, geometry and slightly chunky tires.

Only two minor gripes. I'm not massively impressed with the BB7s (yet). I'm used to the full hydro on my mtn bikes and the more precise modulation they seem to offer. Maybe as the pads get a little more broken in they'll feel more powerful or maybe I just need to get used to them - either way stopping power was adequate but I'm left wondering if, based on my weight, I should have gone with a 160mm rotor on the front. I'll have much better feedback after the Death Ride!

Second gripe is a minor one given that it's aesthetic, but on a frame with this price tag something I would think would have been done better - the head badge doesn't seem to be attached squarely, seems to be mounted a bit off to one side. Silly I know and I doubt anyone (beyond me) would even notice it, but it's such a a nice looking bike a little imperfection jumps out at me. Are those just glued on? Something I can fiddle with once I get the guts to pry on it?

Anyway, pics...

Colossal-img_4410.jpg

Colossal-img_4413.jpg

Colossal-img_4411.jpg

Colossal-img_4415.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Nice!

That's about how I'd do it too - except I'm not a real fan of SRAM road groups, so I'd probably do an Ultegra compact group. Bummer about the "little details" - but you're right - for what you're paying, and for the premium level claims, it oughtta be perfect. The devil is in the details, and I've found that to be the Achilles heel for most the Q brands - great ideas, great execution, but the little things do get overlooked sometimes. QC is a bit lax.

The C is on my short list of bikes to test.

mtbr member
    Nice bike, but you must peel the rim stickers.

wish I was out riding
    Nov 2012
    man that bike is sexy

mtbr member
    Whew...whew! Nice ride!
    That really looks sharp! Salsa makes a decent quality Ti frame, a good entro until you can get that Moots! Go earn it by riding the crap outta the Colossal! Your BB7s will break in nicely but no, they certainly aren't hydros.

A week + into my 2, absolutely ZERO compliants. The little curls too some getting used to hand wise but now they make sense considering the bike, I actually quite like them now. I have 150 miles on my Garmin's "Colossal" bike's log, so for a week and a half, I guess that is pretty decent. I have my first Duathlon with it Sunday, can't wait to compare the numbers on my ride from last year. I had a carbon fiber tri bike but it was so uncomfortable and twitchy that I bet I beat my time on steel this year.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post

Sounds like you and I have the same setup. I love my all stars and platforms.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast