mtbr member

Changes for 2013 El Mariachi 3

Hi all,

I'm actually trying to get a 2013 El Mariachi SS but with the limited availability, I'm probably going to settle on the El Mariachi 3. I think there are still some 2012's floating around so I am looking for some feedback on which component set is better between 2012 and 2013. I like both green and red so color doesn't matter and I am going to loose the squish for a rigid fork so the suspension doesn't matter. I like the idea of a 2x10 better than a 3x10 but haven't tried one yet. Here is a component list from the salsa website:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changes for 2013 El Mariachi 3-screen-shot-2012-10-02-6.43.25-pm.png  

Changes for 2013 El Mariachi 3-screen-shot-2012-10-02-6.44.10-pm.png  

Attached Images Attached Images        

Falls-a-Lot
    I had the same debate a few weeks ago...for a couple hundred less I could have snagged a 2012 right away, but I compared the components and decided that it was worth it to wait (plus I LOVE that red frame and white fork). I have SRAM compact double on my road and CX bikes, but on my current mtn. bike I have a SRAM triple...I could have gone either way. What swayed me most was the trigger shifters. I have a tough time shifting into larger rings on the front--the SRAM requires a pretty strong push (and I have wussy little chick hands and am not sold on twist/grip shifters). I rode around a parking lot on a friend's Trek Superfly with the exact same component group as the '13 El Mar 3 and found that the Shimano triggers had a much lighter touch. Plus I have read great reviews of the Manitou fork, though I know that's not a factor for you.
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would go for the 2013, too, especially if the SLX RD has the clutch mechanism. Also, the wheels and fork are nicer.

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I would go for the 2013, too, especially if the SLX RD has the clutch mechanism. Also, the wheels and fork are nicer.
    Tell me more about the clutch mechanism (I'm a noob). Glad to hear the wheels are an improvement. I couldn't really find much info. to compare the '12 wheels to the '13 ones.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    Tell me more about the clutch mechanism (I'm a noob). Glad to hear the wheels are an improvement. I couldn't really find much info. to compare the '12 wheels to the '13 ones.
    The newer Shimano rear derailleurs have a clutch mechanism that limits chain slap when riding over rough terrain. This gives you a quieter ride and better chain security. SRAM makes a version, but it only goes down to the X9 spec level, I think. I think the '13 rims are wider, and wide=good.

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    The newer Shimano rear derailleurs have a clutch mechanism that limits chain slap when riding over rough terrain. This gives you a quieter ride and better chain security. SRAM makes a version, but it only goes down to the X9 spec level, I think. I think the '13 rims are wider, and wide=good.
    Thanks--OK, I did read about that clutch mechanism in a mountain bike magazine at the store. That sounds really good--I'm always amazed by how much the chain on my X5/X7 mix bangs around on even small bumps.

Definitely a fan of wider. We have a LOT of sand around these parts. My next ride will likely be a Mukluk. I've done a couple of rides on our LBS's demo Muks...dammit, those things are awesome fun and go through anything!
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoomy29er View Post
    Thanks--OK, I did read about that clutch mechanism in a mountain bike magazine at the store. That sounds really good--I'm always amazed by how much the chain on my X5/X7 mix bangs around on even small bumps.

Definitely a fan of wider. We have a LOT of sand around these parts. My next ride will likely be a Mukluk. I've done a couple of rides on our LBS's demo Muks...dammit, those things are awesome fun and go through anything!
    I shelled out for the Shadow Plus XTR RD back when it was the only one that had it, and I don't regret the purchase. It is one of the best biking technologies to come out in several years. Then again, I'm obsessed with a quiet ride. I have an El Mariachi, too. Great bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses. I'll ask the dealer about the derailleur's clutch.

Birthday Collector
    The 2013 El Mar 3 will have a non-Shadow Plus RD. I am sure the dealer would work with you for a small fee to upgrade!

Raider47 - sent you a message B/C re: the LTD SS models...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    I found a SS Mariachi in my size so I'm set but thank you all for the replies
    I'm sure other people debating which model to buy will find this thread helpful too.

Birthday Collector
    Great - they are really cool-looking. We got a bunch of them and they have been selling well. Have one of each size left and just finished getting them up in a row on the floor for the weekend. Enjoy!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a large el mariachi frame. Either 2012 or 2013 would work. All of the on-line dealers are sold out and none of the LBS have any either. Salsa told me that they don't know when they will have more. I have all the parts and just need a frame. I didn't realize that it would be this hard to find one.

mtbr member
    There are some in the UK

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Who, and do they ship to U.S? Thanks for the reply.