650b me

Casseroll front rack uses and ideas

No, not an mtb, but it is a Salsa and I see other Casseroll threads on here...

I have what is apparently the last model year Casseroll that came with the snazzy painted-to-match front rack. I didn't install the rack originally, as the brakes I was using wouldn't allow it. I've reconfig'ed the bike and now I have the rack installed. Sweet!

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how are other Casseroll owners using this front rack? Specifically, it has three threaded bosses integrated into the top surface. Is this a standard mounting pattern of some kind? For a light, perhaps?

Just curious how other Cass owners are rolling...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The bosses could be used to mount a light underneath, thats were most folks mount dynamo lights if they have them, but youd need to fabricate a custom bracket. I think tho the reason for the bosses was to allow folks to make up some custom decks for the rack, its not a standard pattern. Most people use racks like that for porter racks or rando bags, sadly there are very few stock options for the later unless you live in or around Portland/Seattle (at least thats what it looks like from way over here in the UK, we have no rando bag options, custom or stock ).

650b me
    Thanks! I did some more research this morning and found the same answer here:

Casseroll Front Rack Help....

If anyone has created their own custom solution, feel free to post it here!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just run a bag up front in lieu of a seat pack. Zimbale - Beyond your expectation !

Harmonius Wrench
    Not a Casseroll owner, but I do have a similar rig with a Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack. It too has bosses. I fabbed a mount for a traditional type light using the stub of a steer tube and a star nut. (The hack was featured on the Problem Solvers blog not long ago.)

You can sort of see that stub sticking out with the light mount on it in the image with the rack bag. It's a great place to mount a light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casseroll front rack uses and ideas-retroshift-update-009.jpg  

Casseroll front rack uses and ideas-last-3gr-2012-007.jpg  

650b me
    I've since seen that Zimbale bag...tailor made for this style of rack. A good option.

GT, thanks for the photos. Is there an advantage to mounting the light on the rack instead of the handlebar? Nice hack.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Not a Casseroll owner, but I do have a similar rig with a Velo Orange Pass Hunter rack. It too has bosses. I fabbed a mount for a traditional type light using the stub of a steer tube and a star nut. (The hack was featured on the Problem Solvers blog not long ago.)

You can sort of see that stub sticking out with the light mount on it in the image with the rack bag. It's a great place to mount a light.
    Man G-Ted! Does that front rack drive you nuts the way it slopes forward? It looks like the fork crown is a little too high for that rack to fit correctly. I guess it works fine with that bag at least.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I've since seen that Zimbale bag...tailor made for this style of rack. A good option.

GT, thanks for the photos. Is there an advantage to mounting the light on the rack instead of the handlebar? Nice hack.

The advantage to having one light low, like that mounted off the rack, and one on the bars is that the lower light will show up road irregularities better. Things like washboard, ruts, G-outs, and pot holes are easily seen with a low mounted light since the shadows show up better. The higher light gives you a better perspective, in my opinion, and keeps the contrast between light and dark from being so dramatic.

Everyone's eyes are different, and I suggest experimenting, but this works for me quite nicely. I was pleasantly surprised.

Man G-Ted! Does that front rack drive you nuts the way it slopes forward? It looks like the fork crown is a little too high for that rack to fit correctly. I guess it works fine with that bag at least.
    I was pretty disappointed that it didn't work out to be level, and there is no good way to compensate for that with this fork and the Velo Orange rack. They suggested bending the stay, but I am not going to do that, as it just seems a bit "wrong" to me to go do that on a chromed steel support.

The bag, fortunately, has a great little strap across the back that hooks over the upright part of the rack and prevents the bag from moving forward at all on the rack. So functionally, it doesn't really affect anything here. But yes- it would be sweet to have had the rack designed for such a fork as this with its big tire clearances. It wasn't meant for such a fork, so I can hardly blame Velo Orange for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I was pretty disappointed that it didn't work out to be level, and there is no good way to compensate for that with this fork and the Velo Orange rack. They suggested bending the stay, but I am not going to do that, as it just seems a bit "wrong" to me to go do that on a chromed steel support.
    I got my Nitto front rack balanced by fitting some thick spacers between the rack and the brake posts. It dosnt solve the massive gap between the rack and fender but at least its level.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a Velo Orange front rack on my Cross Check setup similarly to the rack on the Casseroll. It is a great place to mount a light - more useful height (as GT elaborated) and it keeps the handlebars uncluttered. I also use the rack to stash my jacket when the temp warms up during a ride, bring a change of clothes, grab a few groceries on the way home, or carry anything that's too bulky to fit in the saddlebag. I try not to overload the front, as the CC's geo isn't designed for front loading, but I don't think the Casseroll's is either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Casseroll front rack uses and ideas-photo-2-.jpg  

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by dickyelsdon View Post
    I got my Nitto front rack balanced by fitting some thick spacers between the rack and the brake posts. It dosnt solve the massive gap between the rack and fender but at least its level.
    Understood. I could have done something similar, but it would have necessitated the sourcing of an extra long brake stud bolt, and I didn't accept that quest.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

my indy fab, with a nitro mark's rack, edeluxe, and acorn bag.
    i still have the rack, got rid of the bag (love the front carrying capacity, didn't like the bag)