mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Carbon Spearfish???? Will it happen in 2015?

wondering if this would ever happen, with all the other carbon models out, I keep waiting for this to be released... Anyone have any thoughts or info??

Harmonius Wrench
    It's an intriguing idea. I thought when I saw the Split Pivot bikes come out that carbon would be a perfect application for the idea.

You know, a few years back folks would have said "a carbon Salsa would never happen"- that "it isn't their MO". Salsa's are steel and aluminum and titanium, not carbon, because, well.....Foundry and whiskey are QBP's carbon brands.

Then Salsa comes out with the Carbon Beargrease, and nobody says boo about Salsa making carbon frames. (Not that I ever saw anyway)

So, it wouldn't be all that strange to see this carbon Spearfish thing happen, to my mind. I think the idea makes sense.

mtbr member

Re: Carbon Spearfish???? Will it happen in 2015?

I hope it will happen, but would never buy one. I see it as way to suppress the price of the Al version which do want.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yes, there will be a carbon Spearfish in 2015

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    Yes, there will be a carbon Spearfish in 2015
    Well it's settled then..

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Dambala, you work for Salsa??

mtbr member
    I would love to see it happen, and after the Beargrease I think we might see carbon. As Guitar Ted said, it makes sense for more than one reason.

With its short chainstay length, split pivot and sorted geometry, a carbon framed Spearfish could become THE pick of the 29er FS XC bikes*. Especially for those on small to medium size frames.

A small sized Spearfish is so well packaged and compact it makes you check twice that it isn't 27.5. That, combined with lighter and lighter wheel technology kind of negates the need for 27.5

Now that some of the other brands have stated they are focusing on 27.5 to the detriment of their 29 range. I see Salsa in a very good commercial position to expand their piece of the pie.

Carbon will give them a seat at that table, in a commercial sense and also by providing a few ounces of weight saving to the smaller frame size buyers who might have been considering 27.5 for their next bike.

If Salsa can continue to expand whilst retaining the values and soul that made them a solid brand it will be a good thing for mountain bikes. That doesn't mean limiting themselves to certain frame materials.

*No I don't work for Salsa...
    Ride Safe.

www.lighttouchchiropractic.com.au Manly Sydney

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    Well it's settled then..
    Yes it was! Hey there is also a carbon Horsethief for 2015, really, I'm not kidding.

mtbr member
    Yes it is settled.

First Look: Salsa Suspension gets Lighter, Stiffer with New Carbon Spearfish and Horsethief

Looks like I will be buying a Spearfish carbon 1. I really miss my orange spearfish. And I get the feeling my 013 is going to break again before the end of the summer.

Birthday Collector
    Rode both of these bikes Monday and Tuesday. Nice stuff. Bigger weight-savings on the Horsethief, but the RS-1 version of the SF Carbon looked pretty blingy (didn't have demos for that...)

If you're in NorCal, and can swing getting a Thursday off, August 7th both of these bikes (as well as the Bucksaw, Blackbarow and Muk with Bluto) will be at Endless Cycles between Noon and 7:00 or so! Come and ride 'em!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Whoa...I think I may need a Spearfish RS1. 6'ish thousand for XX1 and an RS-1 on a light carbon frame with proven suspension design and geo...wow.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone heard about availability dates on the 2015's or have any idea as to when they may discount the 2014 Spearfish?
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ship window one is between August and November for the 2015.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yes.
    If there's no mountain, it's just biking.