mtbr member

Carbon Spearfish or Horsethief

I am looking to upgrade my 2009 Dos 9er to something a little bit more modern and a bit more travel. Mostly ride XC with a few rock gardens here and there. I am wheels on the ground and ride mostly twisty New England singletrack with lots of quick up and downs.

Been looking at the Spech Camber EVO, Turner CZAR (frame on sale would have to build up) or possibly the Spearfish or Horsethief Carbon. Like the Carbon 1 Build on the thief w Roam wheels but I would want a PIKE fork.

Anyone have a chance to ride both. Can anyone recommend a salsa dealer that would mix and match and allow a fork swap to PIKE and triggers changed to Twisties?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just got a carbon HT built up a few weeks ago. Local shop did a custom build that included a 120mm Pike, carbon wheelset, Thomson dropper, RF/XX1, etc. Have 5 rides on it so far on central PA terrain. Bike rails. Nimble on the tight techy rocky singletrack. Stable on the faster rolling terrain. Awesome at climbing. Pike handles the downhills nicely. Still haven't pushed this bike to the limit yet, may never as I may be the limiting factor. It is my 'one' bike. Looking forward to logging more rides on it. I think any Salsa dealer would customize a ride for you. It will cost more, but get the bike you want out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Wiltrackrider thanks for the response. Sounds like you have a great bike. How tall are you and what size did you go with? I think you and I are on the same page as I am looking to build up "one bike" to handle everything from 3 hour epics to hour of power XC rides with a lot of climbing to playing in rock gardens. I am guessing you bike is in the 27lb range w dropper and carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'-2". XL. 80mm stem. Haven't weighed it yet. But yeah I think it's in the 26-27# range. Have a lot of carbon - handlebars, cranks too which helps offset the dropper post.