get down!

approx 6'2" size large Fargo, how long is your steerer tube?

Strange request I guess since I know this is all personal preference.

I'm building up a Fargo and am worried about the steerer tube length. If you are around my size, could you tell me what length you're running and maybe post a pic of your setup? I'll be using either Woodchippers or Bell Laps.

I ask because I'm considering a Niner fork and see the stock steerer length is approx 9.75 inches or so and I'm worried that will be too low. I am running a high rise stem though, so should be okay.

Thanks.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I don't know how helpful it will be, as I don't know exactly what my steerer tube measures, but maybe this picture will give you an idea; I've got the stock stem, and a few spacers in there. I'm about 6'2", but I'm more long-legged and short-torso'd. Also, even if we were the same size, we might prefer different positions. As you can see, I sit relatively straight up, as I've always ridden flat bar mountain bikes before this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    what size fargo do you ride?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Large. The seat is a bit higher now; that picture is from our maiden voyage. I've also adjusted the angle of the bars; though the stem stays the same, I've rotated bar a bit clockwise. The angle feels better on my wrists when I hold the flats. Again, this probably, mostly, boils down to preference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm about 6' 1" and ride a large Gen 2 Fargo frame. I kept the steerer uncut so that I could make adjustments if necessary. I've had my Bell Lap bars at their current height/distance for the last year with no issues. If you zoom in on the photo, you can see that I have a couple of spacers above the stem.

Porcelain_Rocket_001.jpg by S.Fuller, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    6'2" with 34" inseam here, riding a 20" Gen2. Kept the steerer tube uncut and run double stems: Lower one - a 100mm unit - is tilted down slightly and is set up to attach a handlebar bag mount. Tried various straight and angled stems on top to mount bars, all resulting in bad riding position and shoulder pain. Went with a short (60mm) straight stem and things are perfect.

Wife's 18" Gen2 came with a cut steerer from the LBS but I found and retrofitted a NOS fork with an uncut tube and similar bag mount. She prefers the stock (100mm) stem length even though her arms are shorter in relative reach than mine.

Go figure. As always, YMMV.