Thread: Anything Cages?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Anything Cages?

Has anyone heard of a possible release date for the new and improved Anything cages? Last I heard was this spring but that time is about to pass with no news.

mtbr member
    On an impulse I bought four of them a week ago, while they were in stock for one day, but now I'm not sure if I am going to use them because they are kind of heavy. Also I am afraid of over loading them because you can put a huge container on them. The package says you can put 6.6 lbs on them though. It would be cool to see what they can do but I will probably just sell them. I dont know why Salsa didn't just make 100,000 of these things instead of 100!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I've had a couple for a year or so... Absolutely love them for carrying bulky things made of down and such...

What exactly are they changing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A fairly high percentage of the welds were breaking (at least enough for them to stop production). I had heard that the redesign would be available by spring but that has not happened as of yet. I am planning on doing the TD next year and was hoping to get the new ones soon to fully test. I am looking at getting 4 of them (2 each for my son and I), but if they are not available soon I may have to try the competitions or make something myself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Out of curiosity, what competitors are there for the anything cage? I've considered fabricating something but would be interested in seeing what else is out there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    There's the Manythings cage made by King Cages. I am not sure if it's in production yet or not. Nothing on their website. There was one more but I seem to have lost many of my bookmarks. More than likely I will have to come up with my own design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

never summer

Anything Cages?

Not the best pic but to show the updated version. Looks a lot beefier.

Anything Cages?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374906360.065637.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks for the pic.

Looks like they continued the wide wing weld attachment point all the way to the bottom of the cage instead of just tacking it. Also the attachment area is now solid instead of three separate sections. Looks way to heavy now. No way I'll put that on my bike. Just kidding. They look like they might hold up. I think I'll give them a try.

never summer
    Cage w/o straps = 98 grams

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Response I got from Salsa was sometime in September for availability on the new Anything Cages.

never summer

Anything Cages?

Quote Originally Posted by sfuller View Post
    Response I got from Salsa was sometime in September for availability on the new Anything Cages.
    They are available now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Got mine on Thursday from Universal Cycles. They look pretty stout. I think they'll be fine.

never summer

Anything Cages?

Well after some use (120 mi of single track and fireroads) with a 64oz of water I can say I don't recommend the anything cage for anything other than a small stuff sack, sleeping pad, or something of the sort. The 6.6 lb weight limit is a bit overzealous. Bottom support section began to bend during a recent 30 mile ride...half of water was usually mid ride and the bottle was secured well.

I mounted it on back facing fork mounts on my Moonlander, the newer style front facing might have handled it differently, who knows. I may continue to use it but not sure what it will carry.

I think if they lowered the side supports down to the lower support and connected them then it would be solid. So in my opinion not a good choice for fork mounting if your close to the weight limit and by close I mean 75%. My only worry is bending and bending back with alum usually doesn't last long. I'm hard pressed to think they actually tested the cage with anything close to 6.6 lbs.

If you do use it I suggest spending a few bucks and get Sea to Summit straps. They hold really well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Disappointing! I bought two but haven't used them yet. They look pretty stout. There was no way I was going to put more than 3 or so pounds in it but now I'll be even more careful. I was planning on putting a sleeping bag in one and a pad or similar in the other.

never summer

Anything Cages?

Something like that I think is more the intended purpose as it will compress with the strap and pull less load downward. Think heavy, solid objects are suspect. Going to pick up an OR insulated bag and use a 32oz or similar bottle that should give better bite with the strap and maybe manage the load better. Another good item for it might be a Jetboil stove.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    Well after some use (120 mi of single track and fireroads) with a 64oz of water I can say I don't recommend the anything cage for anything other than a small stuff sack, sleeping pad, or something of the sort. The 6.6 lb weight limit is a bit overzealous. Bottom support section began to bend during a recent 30 mile ride...half of water was usually mid ride and the bottle was secured well

I've never been a fan of the Anything Cages. Too easy to break mounted to the side of the forks.

If you want to carry some extra water I've tried using a normal cage on my stem and a 1.5L cage on my DT. Both work great and have been rock solid on rough singletrack and highspeed bumpy FSR descents.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

never summer

Anything Cages?

Yea I had given up on them after all the problems I read. With the revision and $25 I figured I'd give it a shot. Maybe it will find a purpose.

What cage do you use for the 1.5l? Topeak?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlefin View Post
    What cage do you use for the 1.5l? Topeak?

Yup a Topeak cage. I use an extra strap up near the neck of the bottle since this cage was not meant to hang upside down.

TopeakŪ Cycling Accessories ? Products - Modula? Cage XL

It will hold a 2L bottle if you have the room. On my Krampus I can only fit a 1.5L bottle.

The weight down low has no effect on handling.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com