mtbr member

Anyone replaced there Elixir 5s with...?

Have the stock Elixir 5s on the 2012 Spearfish 2.. Thinking of replacing them with the Shimano XT's. The Avids just seem like there on/ off there is no lee way in the middle! Anyone else switch to something else?

mtbr member
    Good call, the new Shimano brakes are unbeatable.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I read somewhere on these boards that the 5's are the OEM versions of the 7's minus two components but those escape me at the moment. To answer your question, I'm running 7's & they're fine as far as I'm concerned & for what I ride.

mtbr member
    I'm running the stock Avid hydros on my 2011 Ti El Mar. Sorry, can't recall the exact model at the moment. I've had about the same feeling of them being only on/off. They're my first hydros so I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm seriously considering moving some bb7s over to get some modulation.
    I've heard good things about the XTs as well, maybe I will give them a shot.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I normally use Shimano but bought a bike with Elixir CRs fitted. They worked OK, but I just didn't like the feel of them so I replaced them with some XT.

now the El Mariachi Ti I'm looking at comes with XT brakes but SRAM shifters. I hate them too!!

mtbr member
    XT Brake and Ice rotors on mine. Well worth the upgrade and very affordable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Not a fan of hydros...period. I've always done well with BB7's. Never any issues, easy set up, and perform quite well for my needs. Annual maintenance is negligible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fjtort2 View Post
    Have the stock Elixir 5s on the 2012 Spearfish 2.. Thinking of replacing them with the Shimano XT's. The Avids just seem like there on/ off there is no lee way in the middle! Anyone else switch to something else?
    I did this exact same thing on my Tallboy. Short answer. Do it and never look back. The XT brakes are fantastic and a fantastic value.

Bicycle Addict
    XTs FTW!!!!
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Birthday Collector
    As a shop, upgrading bikes that come stock with Avid brakes is one of our most common changes. The lower-end Avids actually work pretty decent, but the "higher-end" models seem to have more problems. Usually it is just bleed-related on the majority of the brakes, but the higher-end levers seem to have some issues with the pistons. ( Shimano brakes, even the SLX, are fantastic brakes. Low-maintenance and great feel and performance. Run the Avids until they give you problems, then go with the Shimano. Unless of course, you want a mechanical brake - the BB7 still work great - that's what I run on my Selma, and they are easy to adjust and trouble-free.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    I did this exact same thing on my Tallboy. Short answer. Do it and never look back. The XT brakes are fantastic and a fantastic value.
    Exactly. They can be found for $120 or less and the quality and feel is amazing. Put them on my mukluk2 as well. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to the ICE XT rotors too. Not just a piece of stamped steel like some others but engineered very well and worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Can somebody post the model numbers for the brakes and rotors their using on their Spearfish? When I do a search I get several different Ice Tech rotors that come up so i'm not totally sure which one your talking about.

Thanks,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The new XT's are really nice I am going to ditch my set of Avid XX's for XT's when my Avids break again.

mtbr member
    My SF2 is at my LBS getting the XT brake treatment now!