Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Stiff yet compliant

Is anyone else breaking a lot of Spearfish Derailleur hangers?

Or is it just me?
    I am breaking hangers on this bike far more often than I ever have on any other.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Not yet, but I was planning on getting an extra just in case. Are you using the factory one? Seems overpriced.
    Also I think the mounting design of the hanger is poor - for the SF1.
    M

mtbr member
    No but I have bent mine way more then any bike I have ever had before. I got 2 of the Wheels Mfg. ones and they are CNC from billet rather then cast so they should be stronger. Only problem was the screws were way to long and I had to cut them down.

Stiff yet compliant
    I have been using Wheels Mfg replacement hangers and have broken 4 so far. My right side dropout is slightly misaligned from factory so I have to tweek new hangers very slightly to get my shifting right. If this is weakening them enough to cause failure they must be made from a fairly brittle material to begin with.

I agree the mounting design is not so great. The head of the two mounting screws is right under the hub mounting face and they get mashed up. When you need to replace one your allen wrench may not fit into the hex any more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    No problem with mine so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Still on my first one after 1500 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Moustache rider View Post
    Or is it just me?
    I am breaking hangers on this bike far more often than I ever have on any other.
    Broke one on Saturday...18 miles from home

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had one break on my Vaya. Replaced it with a machined hanger. So far so good.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I've had mine bend once while riding, not sure how, don't recall a stick but poof my derailleur goes too far over and its chain dropping between spokes and granny cog that's my first clue something is wrong. As to frames out of alignment... there are park tools for correcting that... any good shop should own them.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Your misalignment - was it keeping the maxle from threading in cleanly?

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    Your misalignment - was it keeping the maxle from threading in cleanly?
    This is a QR rear end.
    I guess I will get the frame alignment fixed. I have checked everything else and that is the only thing left that might be causing it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've broken two in 12 months, so would certainly suggest carrying a spare. First time was my fault, as I slipped over and bent it. Second time it just seemed to break off for no reason, so I'm slightly concerned that might happen again. Otherwise, just love my Spearfish!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Broke one today. Riding through a fairly dirty trail. Must have picked up a stick. Didnt really feel much resistance before I felt no resistance. Sheared it right off. Gonna start carrying a spare. Im also gonna set up short chain with a sram link. If all else fails, I can SS it out
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    I have broken 2 on my bike (both OE salsa parts) and my wife had one that we caught just before it was going to break, you could see very small cracks starting to form. I ordered 3 machined hangers, one for my wife's bike, one for mine and an extra. It's been a season and a half and I have yet to use the extra one I ordered.

The OE hangers are really soft and, in my experience, are not only prone to breaking, but don't seem to be strong enough to allow for accurate shifting, the stiffer machined hanger made a noticeable improvement in shifting crispness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob12676 View Post
    I have broken 2 on my bike (both OE salsa parts) and my wife had one that we caught just before it was going to break, you could see very small cracks starting to form. I ordered 3 machined hangers, one for my wife's bike, one for mine and an extra. It's been a season and a half and I have yet to use the extra one I ordered.

The OE hangers are really soft and, in my experience, are not only prone to breaking, but don't seem to be strong enough to allow for accurate shifting, the stiffer machined hanger made a noticeable improvement in shifting crispness.
    Which machined hanger?
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    If I recall correctly they were ordered through derailleurhanger.com.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone point me to a hanger (not Salsa OE) that fits a QR spearfish 3 (2011 model)? Unless I'm reading this wrong those listed (Wheels Mfg., North Shore) only have a thru axle version. I'm only finding Salsa OE replacements available.

Stiff yet compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    Anyone point me to a hanger (not Salsa OE) that fits a QR spearfish 3 (2011 model)? Unless I'm reading this wrong those listed (Wheels Mfg., North Shore) only have a thru axle version. I'm only finding Salsa OE replacements available.
    Wheels mfg 142, North Shore billet DH0106 are both QR hangers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It took me 15 years to bend the hanger on my Rocky Mountain, which was not replaceable and 'forced me' (Thank you mountain biking gods!) to buy my Spearfish last year. Bent the Spearfish hanger this weekend in a minor crash and then broke it off trying to straighten. Lucky for me I was at the top of the hill!

The Wheels website only list the #142 for the 2012 SF2 and SF3 which went to the thru axle, but I will check it out.

Regarding breaking these often, Universal Cycles' website shows they have like 150 on order.....Hmmmmm......

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    SF2 and 3 in '12 and '13 were QR. The SF1 was TA.

It is probably a hanger commonly used on other bikes as well. That's where Salsa cuts a little corner to save a few pennies on the pricepoint.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yea, I did a live chat with Universal Cycles and they indicated the 142 wouldn't work with my QR 2011 SF 3 (or better said, he indicated I would need to buy the Salsa OE hanger).

mtbr member
    Spearfish derailleur hanger. as per Moustache rider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Thanks!

mtbr member
    without crashing either, I've gone through the stock hanger and a wheels mfg. may try one of those CNC deals next

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Bent another stock one...no crash, 'just riding along', dropping chain into spokes, checked it out and it was bent in...replaced with Wheels (#142 for my 2011 Spearfish)....hope it does the trick. Would have gone with North Shore but shop didn't have in stock. This is pathetic....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast