mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Another "which one" question. Sorry.

Looking to pick up first mountain bike purchase for me. Coming from a road/cyclocross background and currently use a redline conquest sport for work commuting-this has some bearing on my decision.

Narrowed my decision to either fargo 2 or el marachi 2 based on personal preference. (Only thing else I would consider is a krampus). Live in Texas on coast so not too "mountain like". If I did not have two cross bikes I would go with the fargo, however I wonder if the el mar may be the better choice since I could use it to go to TX hill country and ride trails or maybe ride a rare "race" like austin rattler 100k (mostly double track from what I hear). Zero interest in full suspension. Mostly will use for local trails or when I go camping or slip away once a month to get a good longer ride in.

Any thoughts? It may come down to which bike I can find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ElMar - like you said, you've got 2 cross bikes, why only take a half step away with the fargo. ElMar is a nice steel frame, for those longer rides will have a bit more compliance than a stiff frame like the Mamasita.

ElMariachi is also Single-speed capable with the sliding dropout - should you decide to go that route.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanx. I know you are right. But the fargo is just so awesome it tempts me anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not downgrading the fargo by any means - it just doesn't ring my bell as much. I've got the typical stable of geared full suspension, SS hardtail and a roadbike. I've always been cross-curious, but I know I'd really just end up using it as a gravel grinder.

The Warbird is checking all my boxes for something to replace my roadie. I don't race road, don't care to race road, but I do enjoy a good "B-group" ride. I'm pretty sure the Warbird would still keep up on those rides, and allow me a bit more flexibility if I decide to roll thru a ditch and take off on a fireroad.

mtbr member
    El Mar. I've got one and ride it in Alaska. It would be totally fine in TX where you are. Although I wish I had full-suspension, I put a Fox fork on it and it's great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well, it was a tough choice, but called my LBS yesterday and said order me an El Mar 2 asap. It looks like they can get one in about a month or so. I really like the Fargo, but since I have 2 cross bikes and my wife's hybrid that is essentially a smaller tire rigid, I have a few options similar to the fargo. One wheel of suspension in the stable seems to be the best way to go. Maybe I can pick up a used fargo in a couple years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vanjr View Post
    Maybe I can pick up a used fargo in a couple years.
    be careful, Salsas are addicting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas View Post
    be careful, Salsas are addicting.
    Well that's just great, but how many Salsas does it take to know that you are addicted?
    I thought I may have been safe with just three, but google is no help in finding a local salsas anonymous. Help.....