Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Another Dos bites the dust... (Dos Niner frame crack)

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  BruceBrown 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, my beautiful Dos Niner gave up the ghost tonight. I was doing my usual after work circuit around the local lake trail, about 4.5 miles. I was heading down hill and trying to scrub off some speed with the brakes. I rolled over some roots and SNAP!

I initially thought I blew a tube because the rear end felt loose kind of like that. Then I thought maybe my wheel was about to pop out of the dropout.!! The tire was rubbing on the frame on the left side. I cautiously came to a stop, dismounted and wiggled the wheel. Then I looked down and saw the dreaded crack. Part of me wasn't surprised because I've read about this happening, but I'm not a clydesdale and thought maybe mine would last a little longer. :eekster:

I was about to place an order for a full susp. 26" frame and was looking forward to having both that and my trusty 29er in the stable for varying trail conditions. Now it looks like I'll need to replace the old Dos.

Kind of bummed, I really loved this bike! It did most everything I wanted, and carved up the trail like no other bike I've owned. RIP...

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Worked at a shop for a few years when the Dos was still being made...saw many of these exact same breaks. Obviously why the silver Dos has a hunk of material right there as a gusset.

If you are interested I am thinking of selling my M 2009 Silver Dos Niner. It's in good shape...lots of miles and the usual scratches & wear.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah I'd say it's an obvious design flaw. Since I'm not the original owner, I got no love from Salsa on a crash replacement discount. Thanks for the offer, but I just ordered a Kona Unit. Maybe I'll have better luck with a hardtail steel frame...

I was going to get an El Mar, but there are no dealers near me, so it was easier to just go down to my LBS, who carries Kona...

#7 ·
Its not really a design flaw but an obvious end to using aluminium, without pivots, for a softtail design. Its commonly known that aluminium doesn't tolerate repeated flexing like steel and titanium. There's no "safe" load or amount of deflection that can be repeated 100,000 times without failure like other materials. I had the common sense to know that when I decided to buy my Dos. I know its going to fail like that, and its only a matter of time.

#9 ·
There's a reason it was discontinued.

With the advancements in materials, suspension and designs I suspect the aluminum softail is another dodo in mountain bike history.

Glad I was able to experience it for a few years, but I'm also glad to now be riding a true FS 29er.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.