mtbr member

Alternator Dropouts, Alternatives to Salsa Skewers?

I've got a 2013 El Mariachi Ti in a build kit geared setup with a Salsa rear skewer. When riding rougher trails I've found that the Salsa skewer seems to loosen a bit. This results in a loud knocking sound that I can reproduce by holding the top tube and grabbing the rear wheel at the back and pushing it side to side. If I tighten the skewer it goes away for a while.

After yesterday I've swapped over to a spare XT skewer, and I'm hoping that'll work out better. These are generally well regarded, so I hope it does the trick.

This has the alternator dropouts set half-way out, which is how they came from QBP. It's fine if I ride smoother stuff, but after getting on rough things it seems to loosen up and start knocking. Have any of you have an experience like this, and what do you do about it?

* Pontiac Lake, Potawatomi, and Yankee Springs in Michigan.
    Last edited by c0nsumer; 06-09-2013 at 01:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If the sound goes away when you tighten the skewer that's probably where the problem is, hopefully the new skewers fix it.

The dropouts are set out to ensure clearance between the rear tire and the front derailleur. If you think the dropouts may be part of the problem you could try putting some more loctite on all the screws.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Alternator Dropouts, Alternatives to Salsa Skewers?

Check the plastic washers on your salsa skewer. If they are worn, they won't stay tight. Ask nicely and Salsa will send you new ones.
    Selma Ti.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adinpapa View Post
    Check the plastic washers on your salsa skewer. If they are worn, they won't stay tight. Ask nicely and Salsa will send you new ones.
    Thanks, I'll give that a look. This one is only 1.5 months old with only around 800 miles on it. I wonder if all the flex in the rear triangle (which I am enjoying on the rough stuff) is working the skewer a bit loose.

I will probably go with 142x12 for the next wheelset, but I can't afford that upgrade now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AUSTIN672 View Post
    If the sound goes away when you tighten the skewer that's probably where the problem is, hopefully the new skewers fix it.

The dropouts are set out to ensure clearance between the rear tire and the front derailleur. If you think the dropouts may be part of the problem you could try putting some more loctite on all the screws.
    It is thunderstorming here today, but hopefully tomorrow I can give the new XT skewer a go. I really don't think it is the dropouts themselves, thankfully. That all seems very solid.

Trail Prospector
    Not to sound like an old crumedgeon, but new XT is not what it used to be.
    The threaded plastic was a let-down over alu or steel.
    [Went to a Hope bolt-on hub for SS.]
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Not to sound like an old crumedgeon, but new XT is not what it used to be.
    The threaded plastic was a let-down over alu or steel.
    [Went to a Hope bolt-on hub for SS.]
    Sorry, but what do you mean? The XT skewer I put on there from a 2008 bike of mine has a steel nut and axle with what seems like a bonded plastic cover over the nut. I just ordered a new M770 skewer but haven't received that one yet, so I can't say what that one is like.

Trail Prospector

Re: Alternator Dropouts, Alternatives to Salsa Skewers?

The M785 skewer has what appears to be a plastic-covered nut, and the hub dust shield's are cheap plastic.

(by phone)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went with a DT Swiss rear skewer on mine and and XTR for the front. I have no issues with the DT Swiss rear, and you can really crank down on it and get it tight. Worth the extra coin in my opinion.
    Independent Fabrications Steel Deluxe 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Steel SS

mtbr member
    The Shimano XT that I used worked great at Lumberjack 100 this past weekend. I did have an issue with my drive side bolt coming loose, not sure how that happened. It'd been torqued to spec before and held up fine for a couple of trail rides before that.