mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Alternator dropout position.

Im running a 2011 El Mar with a 2x10 drivetrain. The bike came with the alternator dropouts set about halfway out on the limit screw and I haven't messed with it. I was just kinda curious if anyone has played with the dropout position and if so why and were there any results.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I dont know if anyone cares but after some research on the salsa site I found that for geared setups the Alternators were supposed to be all the way forward as long as there was clearance. So after checking clearance between the front derailleur and rear tire I decided there was enough room to move the alternators all the way forward. Everything worked fine on the stand and commuting to work for the last week.

As we all know what works on the work stand doesn't always work on the trail. What I thought was enough clearance ended up with the tire rubbing the front derailleur on my low chainring so I spent the day at the trail running 1x10 with a 42t up front. At least I learned to appreciate that 36t granny cog.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've tried different positions for my dropouts when running gears on my 2012 El Mariachi. For a long time, I had them about halfway out. Most recently I moved them all the way in and took out the set screws. I had no problem, but come to think of it, I wasn't using a front derailleur as it was a 1X10 setup. I seem to remember trying the dropouts all the way in once with it set up as a 2X10 and it also worked fine with my front derailleur (it was the SRAM X-7 double that came with the stock 2012 build). I moved them back out because I decided at the time that I liked the feel better with slightly longer chain stays. Now I've taken that bike apart to use the rear derailleur and shifter for a different build and I'm in the process of rebuilding it as an SS, so of course I'll set the dropouts for proper chain tension.

I do notice the difference in the ride feel from making adjustments to the alternator dropout position, though not enough to worry too much about it. Overall, I've found the alternators to work great for setting chain tension with no derailleur - a little more difficult to set than an ebb, but much less trouble once you set them. I have two right side alternator dropouts, one with the hanger for a derailleur and one I use for SS setup with the hanger cut off.